Upgrade from sony nex 5 to d7000, worth it?

clarencekickass

Jan 29, 2011
Hey all ,

Decided to start a threat on this as my previous post was on another question... D7000 or d300s, which came out to be d7000 best ;)
Okay, the heading says it all! Any opinions, pros?

Worth it as in ?
U need to be more specific.

clarencekickass said:
Hey all ,

Decided to start a threat on this as my previous post was on another question... D7000 or d300s, which came out to be d7000 best ;)
Okay, the heading says it all! Any opinions, pros?

If you can handle the weight then worth it on D7000.

Upgrade if you like the D7000 more. It is a simple decision.

No upgrade, get and keep both. Use whatever is appropriate for the situation.

Why do u want to upgrade in the first place ?

:)

It depends on how you want to use the D7000.

If you are going to do photography more extensively and dont mind the weight and size of carrying a DSLR + one or 2 lens, then you might consider switching. The weight and size is significantly different especially when you are going to be moving about with it for long hours, like if you are on a holiday.

Carrying a DSLR around also means carrying some form of a sling bag / mini backpack should you travel around as opposed to a Nex 5 that can be keep in a small waist pouch / slang on the neck.

TS, IMHO I think you should keep both. Use the Sony Nex 5 for travel and the D7000 for your serious photography. thanks.

Sorry guys , wasn't that specific enough.

I meant in terms of image quality, iso noise performance in low light.
Yup i plan to keep the Nex-5 for holiday purposes and purchase a new mid range DSLR for photography hobby. Been out to botanic garden and gardens by the bay , but i cannot get the shot I want with the NEX-5 as my lens are just the 2 stock kit lens. 18-55 and 24mm f2.8 lens.

So there thats where my question is coming from :)

Thanks guys for the honest opinions!

Yup i plan to keep the Nex-5 for holiday purposes and purchase a new mid range DSLR for photography hobby. Been out to botanic garden and gardens by the bay , but i cannot get the shot I want with the NEX-5 as my lens are just the 2 stock kit lens. 18-55 and 24mm f2.8 lens.

are you sure if you change to D7000 you will get the shot you want?

normally it's the person behide the equipment....

To really move up in terms of IQ and iso performance you probably have to go FF...

TS, IMHO I think you should keep both. Use the Sony Nex 5 for travel and the D7000 for your serious photography. thanks.

Hmm.. How would you define serious photography. If used properly.. both of them are capable of producing great result.
Unless u talking about D600, D3, or other full frame. Which is totally another league. Then you're right.

Even the Nex-5 can be serious no?

And even the D3s or D4 can be for travel or non-serious use...?

But Nex is also using the same crop sensor as DSLR.

I have the D4 and also the Nex 7.

I don't see a point buying a D7000 ( crop sensor same as Nex 5 unless u are thinking of a D600.

It's the person behind the camera that make the picture stand out.

U just need to shoot more.

i think the TS got this mental problem..... which i as a 5N user got this problem.
he feels that some serious event needs a serious/proper camera

imagine a serious/big formal event, when all the ppl r using a DSLR n u as a photographer using a small mirrorless..

i think the TS got this mental problem..... which i as a 5N user got this problem.
he feels that some serious event needs a serious/proper camera

imagine a serious/big formal event, when all the ppl r using a DSLR n u as a photographer using a small mirrorless..

HAHA i believe it's quite true from the way you are coming at.

**Anyway, thanks guys for the comments. appreciate it much ! ** - Jeremy1 ,TWmilkteaTW, daredevil123, nicorn

**Anyway, thanks guys for the comments. appreciate it much ! ** - Jeremy1 ,TWmilkteaTW, daredevil123, nicorn

so wats ur conclusion? buying? lolz

Maybe the choices of E mount lenses for the Nex system is limited.

But Sony will be announcing more lenses in time to come & there is a 1018 F4 coming soon. Zeiss also had agreed to come out with more choices of E mount lens but they are pricy unless u are going for quality.

Jeremy1 said:
Maybe the choices of E mount lenses for the Nex system is limited.

But Sony will be announcing more lenses in time to come & there is a 1018 F4 coming soon. Zeiss also had agreed to come out with more choices of E mount lens but they are pricy unless u are going for quality.

Very simple thing,

Refer on few thread and some ppls said no matter how well on Mirrorless but end up still prefer on DSLR image quality and can earn for money in AD/Event else :)

This is what I know!

Hmm.. How would you define serious photography. If used properly.. both of them are capable of producing great result.
Unless u talking about D600, D3, or other full frame. Which is totally another league. Then you're right.

Even the Nex-5 can be serious no?

And even the D3s or D4 can be for travel or non-serious use...?

Yes yes, I guess you're both right..... If I will have the same situation with TS, I will use the Nex for travel because of the weight. But because I only have one camera - the D7000, no choice but to lug it around (a little heavy for me but still can).