Upgrade for Panny GX1

GX1 is selling at U$229 from adorama, i guess the successor is about to come out

In the days following many of your good comtributions I have been scouting around and gotten myself some pretty interesting find...so yeah I was pretty much looking at DSLRs or SLTs

Without naming any shops i was offered the following price and models which i gotten the lowest quote.

1) Pentax - K5 IIs with Kit $2350
2) Nikon - D7100 with kit $1850
3) Sony A77 with 18-55mm (IIrc) F2.8 Lens $1699

Interestingly many shops I went to did not seems to carry much about Pentax or its Lenses.....the main stream models such as Canikons are readilty available and so are their lens clones Sigmas and Tamrons,

I was pretty much convinced SLT is the one for me despite the monsterous weight combined, it gave a respectable continous shoot ability, good EVF, uses SD card and great video shooting i was told. For the price offered it was a truely irresistable offer....

Pentax sadly despite my yearning interest to get my hands to fiddle them is somewhat strangely unavailable In the few shops i usually head for would always tell me they do not have the kit Lens set and sell body only.....and upon further enquiry how much is that body.....a whooping $1800 range....i pretty much liked what I read about Pentax but local market just seems to suck at it....nice brand and cam but underservely put down with much heartache i must admit

Nikon D7100....available literally everywhere....pricing were well within $50 range $1850 from the diff shops.....I further enquired what would be the matching set from Canon and was always readily given the model 60D although in personal opinion i would think Canon 7D should be the matching model guess it was too old? And oh ya Nikons I observe are made in Thailand.....Canon still Japan......that possibly expains a price difference of 2-300 for a matching set from Canon

Now the time to decide which ome to go for

In the days following many of your good comtributions I have been scouting around and gotten myself some pretty interesting find...so yeah I was pretty much looking at DSLRs or SLTs

Without naming any shops i was offered the following price and models which i gotten the lowest quote.

1) Pentax - K5 IIs with Kit $2350
2) Nikon - D7100 with kit $1850
3) Sony A77 with 18-55mm (IIrc) F2.8 Lens $1699

Interestingly many shops I went to did not seems to carry much about Pentax or its Lenses.....the main stream models such as Canikons are readilty available and so are their lens clones Sigmas and Tamrons,

I was pretty much convinced SLT is the one for me despite the monsterous weight combined, it gave a respectable continous shoot ability, good EVF, uses SD card and great video shooting i was told. For the price offered it was a truely irresistable offer....

Pentax sadly despite my yearning interest to get my hands to fiddle them is somewhat strangely unavailable In the few shops i usually head for would always tell me they do not have the kit Lens set and sell body only.....and upon further enquiry how much is that body.....a whooping $1800 range....i pretty much liked what I read about Pentax but local market just seems to suck at it....nice brand and cam but underservely put down with much heartache i must admit

Nikon D7100....available literally everywhere....pricing were well within $50 range $1850 from the diff shops.....I further enquired what would be the matching set from Canon and was always readily given the model 60D although in personal opinion i would think Canon 7D should be the matching model guess it was too old? And oh ya Nikons I observe are made in Thailand.....Canon still Japan......that possibly expains a price difference of 2-300 for a matching set from Canon

K5IIs is cheaper than $2350.
Its last reported at S$1435 TK Foto inc of GST. (16May2013); there is also an option to buy the Sigma 70-300 at $200 with this purchase.

The usual shops that carry it are Orient Photo, SGCamera store, TKPhoto, MSColor, SLR Revolution.

That's your first mistake - name the shops so we can tell if you're getting ripped off by one of those Sim Lim hoodlum shops.

Sigma and Tamron are not clones of Canikon lenses.

So why not get an A58?

I further enquired what would be the matching set from Canon and was always readily given the model 60D although in personal opinion i would think Canon 7D should be the matching model guess it was too old? And oh ya Nikons I observe are made in Thailand.....Canon still Japan......that possibly expains a price difference of 2-300 for a matching set from Canon

No, Canon has always been overpriced in terms of features for money. But yeah, the 7D is a better comparison.

No, Canon has always been overpriced in terms of features for money. But yeah, the 7D is a better comparison.

I have to disagree with you here. I find that they are priced just fine for the features that are in a camera... I mean, I get what I want in the camera and it takes acceptable pics (in my opinion.)

In actual facts I don't think Canon's 60D is selling a price difference of S$200 to S$300 above Nikon and as of now, there is simply no matching camera for the D7100 in Canon's range, not sure about other camera brand though... bcos latest Canon's semi-pro camera is still not out yet.

K5IIs is cheaper than $2350.
Its last reported at S$1435 TK Foto inc of GST. (16May2013); there is also an option to buy the Sigma 70-300 at $200 with this purchase.

The usual shops that carry it are Orient Photo, SGCamera store, TKPhoto, MSColor, SLR Revolution.

Only one listed was visited and they dun seems keen selling Pentax

That's your first mistake - name the shops so we can tell if you're getting ripped off by one of those Sim Lim hoodlum shops.

Sigma and Tamron are not clones of Canikon lenses.d

So why not get an A58?

I did not go sim lim.....

Sigma and Tamron are not clones of Canikon...ok maybe wrong choice of words still offer great lenses

So why not get an A58.....decide to stay away from sony SLT after some research

Yeah when u put Nikon an canon bodies side by side....canon body dun feel as solid

Only one listed was visited and they dun seems keen selling Pentax

Which explains the very high quoted price ;) :D

I'd suggest you try the others. At least make a telephone call.

So you don't like fast af even in live view, no mirror slap vibrations, IS with all lenses and fast af in video? OK. ;-)

Actually... TS... although m4/3 sensor are smaller as compared to APS-C sensor the likes of Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax had to offer... but image quality are very similar and infact very good. If I were you and wanting an 'upgrade' the next logical step up would be to go Full Frame. Canon's 5DmkIII, 6D, Nikon's D800/ D800E, D600 and Sony's A99 came into mind. Another contender would be the RX1.

Take it from me... I have been jumping around in APS-C sensored Canon camera and if I was to add up all the money spent... I would already have gotten a Full Frame camera (5DmkII). So don't just looked to buying cheaper option. Get the best you can afford... and that camera should last you years to come.

Humm....i be making a trip to SLS for some IT stuff buy.....not sure if any good shops to recommend that worth paying some vis

Which explains the very high quoted price ;) :D

I'd suggest you try the others. At least make a telephone call.

There is no doubt if only I know those are more keen...just a little taken aback when the main stream and popular shops putting down the brand .... Whatever the reason....which i am not able to derive

So you don't like fast af even in live view, no mirror slap vibrations, IS with all lenses and fast af in video? OK. ;-)

Don't get me wrong....Sony did a great job with the SLT thing....on the contrary I do love how well the love view response...no lag and the amazing continuous shoot cap and all.....the issue I have is their image processor....and yeah the jpegs....which i am contradicting myself here.....coz ever since I started shooting MFT its mostly raw...although these days its raw with jpegs....now if Sony jpegs processors gona have mediocre jpegs output that is relative if not rival my MFT I dont know if this would be considered as an Upgrade for me..so yeah great cam...but jpegs....maybe the next release bah?

Actually... TS... although m4/3 sensor are smaller as compared to APS-C sensor the likes of Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax had to offer... but image quality are very similar and infact very good. If I were you and wanting an 'upgrade' the next logical step up would be to go Full Frame. Canon's 5DmkIII, 6D, Nikon's D800/ D800E, D600 and Sony's A99 came into mind. Another contender would be the RX1.

Take it from me... I have been jumping around in APS-C sensored Canon camera and if I was to add up all the money spent... I would already have gotten a Full Frame camera (5DmkII). So don't just looked to buying cheaper option. Get the best you can afford... and that camera should last you years to come.

I wanted a lot to go FF. besides body, I need to consider the made for FF lenses.....these will cost me some arm and legs and the way tech progresses and my allowable time for this passsion, it is not imho good way to go yet....

In terms of investment....i guess no harm for me to say....get a good APSC get some good lenses that are also good for FF. in time to come and as tech progresses....i will retain those good lenses and yeah....buy that FF body....

The ultimate decision.....which mount......i still pondering Canikons or Pentax......Sorry Sony is out....

There is no doubt if only I know those are more keen...just a little taken aback when the main stream and popular shops putting down the brand .... Whatever the reason....which i am not able to derive

Don't get me wrong....Sony did a great job with the SLT thing....on the contrary I do love how well the love view response...no lag and the amazing continuous shoot cap and all.....the issue I have is their image processor....and yeah the jpegs....which i am contradicting myself here.....coz ever since I started shooting MFT its mostly raw...although these days its raw with jpegs....now if Sony jpegs processors gona have mediocre jpegs output that is relative if not rival my MFT I dont know if this would be considered as an Upgrade for me..so yeah great cam...but jpegs....maybe the next release bah?

I wanted a lot to go FF. besides body, I need to consider the made for FF lenses.....these will cost me some arm and legs and the way tech progresses and my allowable time for this passsion, it is not imho good way to go yet....

In terms of investment....i guess no harm for me to say....get a good APSC get some good lenses that are also good for FF. in time to come and as tech progresses....i will retain those good lenses and yeah....buy that FF body....

The ultimate decision.....which mount......i still pondering Canikons or Pentax......Sorry Sony is out....

As to which mount... none of us can help you here, because all of us have our own preference. I love the ergonomic of Canon (having use Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony before) and would like to recommend that to you, but again, Nikon and Pentax all made excellent camera. It is a very personal thing, you would need to go down to the shop and try them out. Remember to look out for Nikon's new D7100 and Pentax k5II, sadly at present moment, Canon didn't have an equivalent... Canon hasn't even announce her 70D and 7DmkII (and I won't hold my breath waiting for them).

I may be wrong, but AFAIK, 2 reasons.
1. The previous distro pissed off many retailers by selling direct and selling cheap. (At least I know one friendly shop in Chinatown and one in AMK who were)
2. Its easier to push the better known brands (esp. if you are laden with their stock and its less of a hassle sell)

After much deliberations

I am likely to invest in Nikon D7100.

Curious though. Pantex k5 iis is weather seal and offers weather seal lenses

Nikon weather resistance body or weather sealed body? What about the lenses anyone care to enlighten?

After much deliberations

Nikon weather resistance body or weather sealed body? What about the lenses anyone care to enlighten?

Of course Nikon has weather resistance lenses... might not be the one that was offered as kit though. I am not sure if Nikon bother to state that down on their lens as to which one is weather resistance or not, you would need to check that out online.

Humm....i be making a trip to SLS for some IT stuff buy.....not sure if any good shops to recommend that worth paying some vis

AVOID SIM LIM. For recommended shops, look in the priceguides threads.

I would not go to Sim Lim to get anything unless I have done my homework thoroughly... You say IT... not camera stuff right? Anyway, it might be better if you go to Funan for your IT stuff anyway.

AVOID SIM LIM. For recommended shops, look in the priceguides threads.

Avoid all the shops in Sim Lim... except for Orient Photo on the sixth floor ;)

After much deliberations

Nikon weather sealed lenses are on some of the high end lenses.
Someone more familiar with their lens lineup may be able to fill you in more.

Pentax has 3 pretty affordable entry level zooms that are weather sealed. DA18-55WR; 50-200WR and 18-135WR.
The DA18-55WR for example goes for $150 or a bit less in BnS here.
Their higher end DA* zooms are all weather sealed. So is their DA100/2.8WR macro.

As rhino123 said, only Orient Photo at level 6 is safe to go for cameras in SLS.
Don't even try the ones on other levels.