Update full frame body or 24-70mm Lens...

for some, it may not just be cost.

when traveling, sometimes it's better to have a smaller, lighter body. also convenient to have a built-in flash for hard-to-predict situations.

For travelling, I bring along the D700 with a 24-70/2.8 or a 50/1.4 mounted and ready to shoot. I attach the MB-D10 only when I expect to do heavy shooting. I prefer this over the D3 for the following reasons:
1) I can go light, i.e. without the MB-D10 when not needed whilst the D3 is always the 'big' D3.
2) I can use the built-in flash for fill flash whilst in D3, I MUST bring along another Speedlite.
3) I can use the built-in flash as the commander and control other remote Speedlites, whilst on the D3, I'll need another Speedlite to act as 'commander'.

Get you FX body first, e.g. a used D700 and you'll start enjoying all FX possibilities. the D700 can use both your existing DX lenses and any FX lenses that you further purchase. Over time, you gradually phase out your DX lenses and replace with FX lenses.

Hope this helps.
Fred

For travelling, I bring along the D700 with a 24-70/2.8 or a 50/1.4 mounted and ready to shoot. I attach the MB-D10 only when I expect to do heavy shooting. I prefer this over the D3 for the following reasons:
1) I can go light, i.e. without the MB-D10 when not needed whilst the D3 is always the 'big' D3.
2) I can use the built-in flash for fill flash whilst in D3, I MUST bring along another Speedlite.
3) I can use the built-in flash as the commander and control other remote Speedlites, whilst on the D3, I'll need another Speedlite to act as 'commander'.

Get you FX body first, e.g. a used D700 and you'll start enjoying all FX possibilities. the D700 can use both your existing DX lenses and any FX lenses that you further purchase. Over time, you gradually phase out your DX lenses and replace with FX lenses.

Hope this helps.
Fred

maybe i do not mind the trouble of bringing a sb600 for your points 2 and 3, but you did point out the need of travel light
that's personal preference, ya a Dx series always a Dx series haha

Last edited:
Greetings!

I too have this conundrum about buying a D800 or a 24-70F2.8, or buying a canon EOS550 + 24-70F2.8. I have a D80 + 18-135mm kit lens and a 35mm F2.

I figured ok camera + good lens = win. So I will be buying a tamron 28-75F2.8. This is down to size and weight. I think quality will be acceptable for an anthusiast. Yes its way cheaper, but that wasn't the deciding factor. The nikon 24-70 is huge and heavy and I will suffer from serious camera shake.

The last time I tried a really nice 80-200mmF2.8, my shots were all slanted, I just cannot hold the camera upright to take the shot! Nikon if you're reading this, make some very good lighter smaller F2.8 zoom lenses that we can comfortable stick on the camera and put inside our handbags!!

Will the D800 have a little flash? I really like the little flash for fill in and when I just need that little bit of light, as well as the points raised by the poster above on the little flash.

One of the major considerations for buying professional hairdryers is weight. I wish this weight issue would be given more thought by camera manufacturers.

Last edited: