Universal Rain Cover for backpacks and should bags where get em'

Blammm

Sep 13, 2010
West
I have an issues with getting caught in the rain when i ride my scooter...
i do keep raincoat under my vespa.
when it rains i keep using the raincoat to protect my camera backpack rather than me when i go out for shoots and this annoys me...
i'm all soaked up but the bag dosen't and it defeats the purpose of a raincoat ;(

sooo i'm wondering anybody got any ideas where to find an universal rain covers for camera bags...

I have never found a truly waterproof bag for cameras, at least not for the kind of tropical downpour that you get here in Singapore ! Most seem to just be "shower proof" which is just not adequate for several thousand dollars of kit.

Try looking at Dry Bags as used by boat owners. These are PVC with a rollover top and totally waterproof even to the extent of dropping them in the sea. If your camera bag is small enough it may fit in one of these. You can usually get them from Boat Chandlers which most Marinas have on-site. I brought mine with me from the UK so no idea of the cost here. This link shows what they look like :http://www.amazon.com/SealLine-See-Vinyl-Blue-Tint/dp/B000GF55C2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1285219819&sr=8-5

I have an issues with getting caught in the rain when i ride my scooter...
i do keep raincoat under my vespa.
when it rains i keep using the raincoat to protect my camera backpack rather than me when i go out for shoots and this annoys me...
i'm all soaked up but the bag dosen't and it defeats the purpose of a raincoat ;(

sooo i'm wondering anybody got any ideas where to find an universal rain covers for camera bags...

You may want to visit camping stores, they usually carry rain cover for bags (comes in sizes too). I got one for myself and it serves its purpose well. The only thing is because my bag is not designed for a rain cover sometimes the straps get wet. Apart of that everything else is dry.

for cheaper alternatives, try using trash bags or those saf ponchos + duct tape.

Last edited:
Maybe it's easiest to just standby TWO raincoats, one for your camera backpack and one for yourself! :)

If you are not big size, buy an XL raincoat from Ah Boy and can fit in yr bagpack as well as yr body in 1 rain coat. Problem solve.

try army market - Beach Road.

if u are going for trekking, bring along some ziploc...
Ziploc the mod? :think:...................................you can try :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Some backpacks comes with built in rain covers, like the one I have, but for safety (kiasu) sake, I bring along a big heavy duty black trash bag. But you gotta figure out how to attach it to your bag while you are on your scooter.

You may want to visit camping stores, they usually carry rain cover for bags (comes in sizes too). I got one for myself and it serves its purpose well. The only thing is because my bag is not designed for a rain cover sometimes the straps get wet. Apart of that everything else is dry.

yeah i don't mind the straps getting wet as long as the content in my bag is dry and safe... i forget about checking out camping stores thanks for reminding me....

try army market - Beach Road.

if u are going for trekking, bring along some ziploc...

trekking or no trekking i always bring a ziplock to protect my phone in case it rains when i ride...haha

I'm a scooterist too. I bought the Osprey Airporter raincover from Shaw Centre Beach Rd. Its bigger than an Ali Baba bag and comes in a folded in a satchel

i went to goggle it http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/OspreyAddOns/ULRaincover/ and i have to say this might be what i've been searching for... just wondering if you could tell me the shop in detail.. whats the shop called???what floor??? the shaw centre beach rd are you referring to shaw towers beside bugis junction???

i got a nike sling bag that has a erm... u know camping tarp waterproof material? my insides all that material. my outside bag can be soaking wet, but the inside is very dry...
NIKE URBAN BIKE MESSENGER BAG is the one i'm using

using the rain cover when riding motor, the only worry is that the rain cover will trap wind like a sail and fly off. If that is wat u want, u can get them at beach road army mkt for no more than $10-30 a piece depending on the brand and size

U can consider Dry bags like some of the fellas who had mentioned here.. most dry bags are shoulder sling type. u can get some backpack style as well. i hv seen some from Northface stores, that can convert shoulder sling to backpack. u might wanna consider that..

if u wanna get a camera bag that is, at the same time, a dry bag, it is available also. i seen some online.