UMPC Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagdeep

Jul 8, 2007
Pasir Ris
Hello Snappers

I need a small very light portable computer and am considering a UMPC.
DVD burner is not necessary.

I will use it with a portable keyboard so, if it has on on board, good, if not, I'll get a keyboard to match.

It needs to have a good processor as I might have to run .... AUtocad LT on occationally.

Can anyone suggest

(ps : i need it light as my back is very weak and cannot afford to carry heavy loads .. double slipped disc recently)

Jag

i'm too sourcing for UMPC to replace mobile email solutions like blackberry. currently looking at few options:
1. HTC Shift - with slot for SIM card, supports 3.5G - Win Vista Business
2. Imate 9502
3. Raon Everun - run on WinXP

with QWERTY keyboard and touchscreen

as to whether can run your autocad apps or not, then you have to find out more from the vendors.

i'm too sourcing for UMPC to replace mobile email solutions like blackberry. currently looking at few options:
1. HTC Shift - with slot for SIM card, supports 3.5G - Win Vista Business
2. Imate 9502
3. Raon Everun - run on WinXP

with QWERTY keyboard and touchscreen

as to whether can run your autocad apps or not, then you have to find out more from the vendors.

Imate 9502 is not actually a UMPC but a PDA phone running on Window Mobile OS. If you are looking for checking emails then might want to consider U1000 or te upcoming 7510 from HTC.

Can consider the HP2133 miniLappy. Friend of mine brought it from Taiwan...very handy

The HP 2133 Mini Note. It's out for pre-order liao.
Pretty decent size and features, though as with most UMPC, processors are underpowered for anymore more that your Office application.

i'm actually looking for any UMPC or any devices that are able to operate with SIM cards...mainly for overseas usage, with 3G/3.5G/GPRS data connection

Imate 9502 is not actually a UMPC but a PDA phone running on Window Mobile OS. If you are looking for checking emails then might want to consider U1000 or te upcoming 7510 from HTC.

As one of your requirements is to run autocad, windows mobile device will be out as they are of different OS. Also will you working with words and excel etc? If yes then you have to consider if the mobile words and excel are able to handle your needs. Even reading pdf can be troublesome as you need to scroll left and right.

best bet I think is a sub notebook. don't get the sony UX. I have the u8g and the screen is too small to do much.

The sony TX series is pretty good. light, 1.2 kg, LONG battery life 6 hours, Great LCD screen if you want to use it to see photos.

Hmm, you guys gave good ideas.
The HP 2133 is nice and a sub note is a good idea too.
The new HTC has HSPDA built in.
The Asus Eee, well, a HSPDA card can be slotted in.
Wibrain has a nice unit......
And the Fujitsu's are quite small.The new Toshiba R50 series is quite light... but heavy on the pocket.

Weight is a factor and I don't want to be carrying ,ore than 1.3kg, power supply included.

I guess a sub note would have the most power, power to run ACAD light

hmm...still pondering

anyone using s UMPC or Sub Note?

Sony is out.

Jag

Currently most UMPC's in the market today have really small screens and resolutions (about 800x480). As a 3D CAD user, I am spoiled with large screens so can't imagine myself doing CAD on 7" screens.

Anyhow, do you know what is the minimum suggested system specs AutoCAD LT needs?

The HP 2133 seems very sleek and even with Vista the response time doesn't seem to be as bad as what the benchmarks indicate... tried one out at a Harvey Norman today with the salesman so helpfully telling me "only 2 sets left!". It's 8.9" WXGA screen is seriously luxurious for something its size. Some may get annoyed with the screen's glossy finish though (reflections).

Status
Not open for further replies.