Ultrawide 3rd party prime lense for "APS" DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

since63

Nov 18, 2005
Are there any third party ultrawide prime lense thats worth considering? Ideally the range should be around 16 to 20mm (10 to 12mm range on "APS") and it has to be distortion free. It'll be great if anyone can share/recommend or even put in a sample pix. Thank You.

since63 said:
Are there any third party ultrawide prime lense thats worth considering? Ideally the range should be around 16 to 20mm (10 to 12mm range on "APS") and it has to be distortion free. It'll be great if anyone can share/recommend or even put in a sample pix. Thank You.

There are no such thing as ultrawide prime for APS ... unless you go for Full Frame DSLR, then you will have more options.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for yur contributions. Understand that there will be perspective distortion on these lenses, where the subject, especially buildings are slanted. But have come across a pix, where the buildings have a slight curvature.

Seems like the widest prime for APS lense is 14mm (about 21-22.5mm).

Thanks again. Cheers.

since63 said:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for yur contributions. Understand that there will be perspective distortion on these lenses, where the subject, especially buildings are slanted. But have come across a pix, where the buildings have a slight curvature.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Nope, Sigma have a 8mm one.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3255&navigator=4

since63 said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks again. Cheers.
Do note that the 14mmf2.8ED is not a AP-S specific lens.
It is a 'D' Nikkor.

JediForce4ever said:
Pls also note that the Sigma 14mmf2.8 and the Canon EF14mmf2.8L are also not APS-C specific designed lenses.:)

Ok, noted on that part. ;) But still, can be used at an increased focal length.

Snoweagle said:
Or maybe he means APS-C sized CMOS sensor?

That's right.

If the sigma 8mm fisheye is used on either the 20D or D70 (which will become a 12-13mm lense), will it cause the building to be "curved"?

since63 said:
That's right.

If the sigma 8mm fisheye is used on either the 20D or D70 (which will become a 12-13mm lense), will it cause the building to be "curved"?

Definitely. Even when i use my 28-300mm on my film SLR, at 28mm the buildings are a bit distorted already.

I haven't tried this 8mm one from Sigma but it's surely very wide! :bigeyes:

Snoweagle said:
Definitely. Even when i use my 28-300mm on my film SLR, at 28mm the buildings are a bit distorted already.

I haven't tried this 8mm one from Sigma but it's surely very wide! :bigeyes:

Have seen a pix taken with the a 14 or 16mm fisheyes on the S2 Pro and the building was rather distorted!

There are some lenses that proclaimed to be distortion free, does that means that above would not happens? But of course they are very ex too!

since63 said:
Have seen a pix taken with the a 14 or 16mm fisheyes on the S2 Pro and the building was rather distorted!

There are some lenses that proclaimed to be distortion free, does that means that above would not happens? But of course they are very ex too!

of course, u'll get distortion on a fisheye when u used it on a S2 Pro. u'll get even more distortion if u were to use it on a film camera.

since63 said:

As long as it's a wide angle lens, there will definitely be some distortion, especially those super wide ones as they need to 'squeeze' in more into the frame, thus giving more distortion.

UNLESS you are using the TS-E lenses which are specifically designed to eliminate this distortion problem when taking buildings.

Here's a pic i took using the Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye lens on my film cam. So here u can see how much distortion it gets.

picture17aw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.