Ultra-Wide Angle Lense to recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.

emollientcolt

Aug 20, 2003
Punggol Drive
Hi, Does anyone have any AF Ultra-wide angle Nikkors to recommend? i am looking around for a wide angle lense for my AF SLR(film).
Would Prefer Nikkors.

Please Help.

Thanks in advance
:-D

I don't any wide angle also... but is eyeing on a AFS 17mm-35mm f/2.8D but that would burn a hole in your pocket... :eek:

The 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 is affordable but the f-stop is not that impressive... looks like have to settle for a 24mm f2.8D after all... CP price: $580 w/gst

Anyway the above are just my dream wide-angle lenses, don't believe my reviews... but think the following links would help you a little:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm

enjoy reading... :bsmilie:

I am thinking of using this wide angle lense for those breath-taking landscapes when i travel.
i am currently using a AF 28-200 f3.5-5.6D Nikkor..... take most of my photos with it and i am pretty much happy.
i thought getting a wider lense would be better than getting a high speed 28mm lense.

to get 20mm f2.8
or 28mm f2.8

wondering........ :rolleyes:

If you do landscape then smaller maximum aperture is no problem, since you'll probably use a small aperture and tripod anyway. Get the 18-35/3.5-4.5 if you like it then. I must say that I haven't seen the lens myself though.

hi d7t3, thanks for replying.....
i think i will get the 24 f2.8 when i get my bonus......

thanks to all for viewing
Cheers

20mm AF-D buy it used.
24mm AF-D only if the 20mm is too expensive.

17-35mm AFS if you have the cash to burn.

emollientcolt said:
Hi, Does anyone have any AF Ultra-wide angle Nikkors to recommend? i am looking around for a wide angle lense for my AF SLR(film).
Would Prefer Nikkors.

Please Help.

Thanks in advance

Personally, I would go to a 24mm minimally, if not wider at 20mm. So it would be either a 24mm or 20mm. Unless you are a fan of 28mm, I don't think I would want that focal length.

For travel I think the zooms are nice but would be to much weight to carry arround. So 17-35 or 18-35 or 20-35 would not be what you want if you are weight conscious.

gohch

sykestang said:
The 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 is affordable but the f-stop is not that impressive...

I advise against judging a lens by its maximum f-stop. There are lenses that have smaller maximum f-stops that performs. Although, nowadays larger 2.8 zooms seems to be associated with high quality and higher performance zooms.

Anyway, one would typically use a wide angle at some of the smaller f-stop numbers, so the question is not of the maximum f-stop but what application one would be putting that lens to.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:)

chgoh

Thank you all for reading and replying. :D
Will most prob get the 20 f2.8
if that is too ex then will get the 24 f2.8
any info on who offers what in singapore?
cheers

i've a 28-200 and a 18-35 ... even though for 18-35, the aperture is not 'impressive' ... but for most of my shots ... using a fast film might overcome the prob ... as wide angle is more 'steadier' than telephoto ...

hi West_ray, thanks for replying. what a coincidence! i too have a 28-200. how do you find that lens? :)

i think the 28-200...

sell it. get a 28-105 f3.5-4.6. much better. with some macro ability in that lens too.

or if u're feeling wealthy, add in some $$ to the sale of the lens and get urself a 24-85mm f2.8-4D lens.

sadness said:
i think the 28-200...

sell it. get a 28-105 f3.5-4.6. much better. with some macro ability in that lens too.

or if u're feeling wealthy, add in some $$ to the sale of the lens and get urself a 24-80mm f2.8-4D lens.

why not the Nikkor 24-85mm AFS? Its around the same price as the 28-105 and has a slightly wider edge..

coke21 said:
why not the Nikkor 24-85mm AFS? Its around the same price as the 28-105 and has a slightly wider edge..

sorry
did u mean the AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens???

G lens??

sorry then.
pls spend ur money on the AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF or more on the AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF.

sorry

G lens??

sorry then.
pls spend ur money on the AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF or more on the AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF.

Why? Thought this lens got pretty good reviews, other than distortion at wide end.

sadness said:
sorry

G lens??

sorry then.

You tried the lens before?

Status
Not open for further replies.