Type of fast compact flash card

shuk84

Sep 28, 2009
cck,Singapore
www.flickr.com
What brand is good for compact flash that is able to take 8fps and for video as well??n how to differentiate between normal CF card from a faster one??

San Disk 16GB Extreme 60MB/s

using 16GB kingston 133x(20MB/s) and 8GB Sandisk Ultra(30MB/s) on my 7D, so far no problems for video.
Tried spamming more then a couple of RAW during my sister graduation, no problem too, have not try shooting at extended continuous burst shots though.

using 16GB kingston 133x(20MB/s) and 8GB Sandisk Ultra(30MB/s) on my 7D, so far no problems for video.
Tried spamming more then a couple of RAW during my sister graduation, no problem too, have not try shooting at extended continuous burst shots though.

I'm using the exact same combination of cards and camera and i've never had any issues either

I'm using the exact same combination of cards and camera and i've never had any issues either
anyway, the 7D manual states the min requirement of 9MB/s so i dun think there will be problems.

maybe TS wanna state wat camera you using?

the faster the write speed, the faster the card is... so get 1 that has 30mb/s write speed @ least...

Using 7D and Sandisk Ultra (30mb/s) as well. No problem with video or high speed burst. Only benefit for getting faster cards is if you transfer files using memory card readers that can support those higher speed. Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Using 7D and Sandisk Ultra (30mb/s) as well. No problem with video or high speed burst. Only benefit for getting faster cards is if you transfer files using memory card readers that can support those higher speed. Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Curious... if you are shooting RAW+ JPG(Large_fine) about about how many shots can it take before it slow down? :dunno:

Only benefit for getting faster cards is if you transfer files using memory card readers that can support those higher speed. Otherwise it's a waste of money.
Not just that... if you're doing sports where you need to do burst mode heavily, you'll get to make more shots else you'll see your camera going 'Busy' very often. Also, one needs to know whether his/her camera can write fast enough - which I think the 7D can. But cameras like 1D Mark III, I reckon the fastest card worth getting is Extreme III or now the Ultra 30mb/s as the camera does not support UDMA.

Curious... if you are shooting RAW+ JPG(Large_fine) about about how many shots can it take before it slow down? :dunno:

I don't shoot RAW+JPG so I don't know. But I suspect the bottleneck is more the processors and buffer than the CF card. It's a huge amount of information to process.

Not just that... if you're doing sports where you need to do burst mode heavily, you'll get to make more shots else you'll see your camera going 'Busy' very often.

Again, it's more how fast the processors and buffer can spit out the images than the ability of the CF card to write the info. At 18mp and 8fps, the 7D is one of the fastest shooting DSLR on the market and I have yet to hear of anyone saying 30MB/s CF cards are slowing the 7D down. For me at least, I have better places to spend money than on those 600x CF cards.