TV connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

afbug

Aug 19, 2004
Planet SG™
Hi guys, for TV connections from wall outlet to set-top box and from set-top box to TV, I'm using coaxial cables.

Just want to know what are the best connections. Is there any difference if I use coaxial cable from wall outlet to set-top box and then use composite video connection to TV?

Also, I'm still on SCV's analoge box and does the digital set-top box offers component video connections? Have no plans to change to HD yet and content is still limited.

Those on digital and other boxes, what are your connections?

Digital cable set top box has only composite and coaxial output. If you want better picture quality, you will have to get the hubstation which has component output, a marked improvement over composite. But at least upgrade to a digital set top box.

Coaxial < Composite < S video < Component < HDMI

Digital cable set top box has only composite and coaxial output. If you want better picture quality, you will have to get the hubstation which has component output, a marked improvement over composite. But at least upgrade to a digital set top box.

Coaxial < Composite < S video < Component < HDMI

Coaxial is worst? Sure boh? From wall outlet to set-top box (Analogue-digital-HD box) is still coaxial right?

That digital box is a little too slow? Reaction time is like a sec or so after u press the remote. I experience these at friend's and relative's place.

BTW, I have 2 analogue boxes at home. Can I change 1 to digital and retain 1 analogue? I like the analogue's fast response when I hit the buttons.

Coaxial is worst? Sure boh? From wall outlet to set-top box (Analogue-digital-HD box) is still coaxial right?

That digital box is a little too slow? Reaction time is like a sec or so after u press the remote. I experience these at friend's and relative's place.

BTW, I have 2 analogue boxes at home. Can I change 1 to digital and retain 1 analogue? I like the analogue's fast response when I hit the buttons.

Coaxial carries both video and audio signal in 1 cable, while composite only carries video signal in 1 cable. So I think that is pretty obvious which is the better medium for transmission of signal.

Coaxial carries both video and audio signal in 1 cable, while composite only carries video signal in 1 cable. So I think that is pretty obvious which is the better medium for transmission of signal.

Ok, so how do you connect a HD set-top box or a digital set-top box to the wall outlet? Coaxial cable? Or other means? If u get a digital set-top box, u need to change the wall outlet so it can output composite video? As most wall outlets I understand are on coaxial connections.

Wall outlet ->coaxial cable->digital set-top box->composite->TV.
So there are improvements when u use composite video to TV but still using coaxial cable from wall to set-top box?

Ok, so how do you connect a HD set-top box or a digital set-top box to the wall outlet? Coaxial cable? Or other means? If u get a digital set-top box, u need to change the wall outlet so it can output composite video? As most wall outlets I understand are on coaxial connections.

So there are improvements when u use composite video to TV but still using coaxial cable from wall to set-top box?

For any of the Starhub set top box, the input is still coaxial from our wall output. After that, for digital, you have the option of using composite or coaxial to your TV, while for hubstation you can use either component or composite to your TV.

the coaxial in tis case is just for data signal, well, just like the cable modem, its also using the coaxial cable.

so the set top box (if digital) will convert the data to show either to composite or component.

Status
Not open for further replies.