Turn off data connectivity when overseas

I think this is one aspect where a "smartphone" should actually be smart. If a specific phone maker/OS is incapable of warning users about data roaming and making sure there is a specific willingness to data roam, it's not being smart.

I also know iPhone users who were at raffles place and their phone switched to the indonesian telco and they were on data roaming - while in singapore!!! So are you saying these users should always use 2 phones, etc?

Don't expect a phone that labelled as "smartphone" to do all the smart things for you, it's just a phone that can do more than a regular phone. In order to achieve optimum operations & performance, all you need is a proper setting with the device and you're good to go. Also please read your phone manual.

Anyway, Data Roaming is OFF by default, unless you turn it on and forget to turn it off. You can use 2 phones if you want to, but manually select your preferred network is a SMARTER choice!

These huge bills are most likely from using google map. My bro came back from a short trip to HK to find a $500 bill for data usage.. I checked with him and he said he only used google maps to find his way back to the hotel one night..= ="

that was lucky. My friend's daughter play online games with his Iphone while on a driving trip into malaysia. S$8++ for a few minutes.

BTW I installed papago on my iphone and i use it oversea without any data charges.

I think we should start calling our PnS as SmartCamera, since all we need to do is aim and shoot while the camera will do the rest for us! :bsmilie:

When in JB used a bluetooth GPS receiver to send satellite data to my Nokia. Set my phone GPS to Bluetooth GPS. Disable the other 3 choices.
You have 4 choices of GPS position settings in Nokia.
1. Bluetooth GPS
2. Assisted GPS
3. Integrated GPS
4. Network based

The Nokia OVI map does sense that you are out of home country and it gives a warning message that overseas data roaming is expensive.
You can carry on to use with bluetooth GPS receiver. Make sure A-GPS is off.
After that check your phone Log and the Data Packet manager - check that data packet count is zero.
That's my phone which looks safe.

But different story when checking friend's Nokia e72 in Singapore (this friend's phone is on starhub dataplan). Had manually set Nokia e72 connection manager to Off. Also disabled the A-GPS and Network Based manually. So what happened when checked the e72 GPS 10 seconds later? Everything changed back by itself to data connection ON. The Assisted-GPS, Network Based are ON again without user intervention.
In Singapore, one is quite safe as many have so-called "unlimited" dataplan - actually 12GB, lah.

Last edited:
I feel....a responsible telco should opt out data roaming by default...I believe majority of mobile users would not want a bill shock due to whatever reason.....it really does not make sense to charge thousand of dollars just for a short use....and let those genuine user option to opt-in instead since they are able to justify the cost....with that, a lot of innocent life will be spared :sweat:

Can someone with good England start a petition to IDA :lovegrin:

The default on android is to disallow data when roaming. I feel that's the way it should be for all smart phones considering that the vast majority of users are not willing to pay for it and wouldn't know / remember to turn it off.

yup, the default should be set by the convenience of the majority of users, not which setting earns more money as it just makes the customer experience lousy.

for those using WM phone, you can download a small software called Modaco NoData.
it can toggle GPRS on and off.
not sure if there is one for iphone tho.

Why oversea roaming are alway expensive..
As a GSM operator, they are allow to charge the roaming users a surcharge up to 10%. As there could be a external billing/accounting company involved for payments.

Secondly, data charges are charge according per kB.

To minimise any data charges local or oversea.
Setting wi-fi connection as priority, iphone/ android have this features.
(read the manual) :bsmilie:

else

Create a empty GPRS setting profile to eliminate any accidental pressing. No sure how, can always ask the telecom company or phone manufacturer or read the manual :bsmilie:

:)