Try this for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha this game got me quite a while....finally got it...:devil: :devil:

:) :( :confused: :angry:

noticed that the symbols accompanying the numbers keep changing. but still dont know why :dunno:

Originally posted by SzennyBoy
The answer will always be the symbol associated with the multiples of 9 (which are all the same symbols)!

:eek:

You know about it! I've just completed 9, 18, 27 only. :embrass:

can some mathematician explain why a 2 digit number - the sum of the 2 digits will result in a number that is a multiple of 9. 10s.

aaargh got this in a mail some time ago. but i figured out how it works. well heres the spoiler. according to the law of mathematics. its seems that any 2 digit numbered thats has its numebers added then subtracted from the orginal number will always be a multiple of 9. Sooooo if u notice all the multiples of 9 have the same symbol. so there u have it. No it cannot read our mind :bsmilie:

OK. Here's some algebra:

For the 2-digit number that you pick, let "a" be the most significant digit and "b" be the least significant digit, thus 1<=a<=9 and 0<=b<=9.

"a" cannot be 0 or else it will not be a 2-digit number anymore.

Then the 2-digit number has a value of 10a + b
The sum of the 2 digits is a + b

Subtract the sum of the 2 digits from the original 2-digit number, and the result is (10a + b) - (a + b) = 9a.

Since "a" is an integer from 1 to 9, then the result is always a multiple of 9 (from 1x9=9 to 9x9=81), no matter which 2-digit number you pick at the beginning.

So, the trick is to assign the same symbol to all multiples of 9 from 9 to 81, and always show that symbol in the crystal ball. even though 90 and 99 are also multiples of 9, they will not be the results because the limit is 9x9 = 81. So the symbols for 90 and 99 can be different.

- Roy

Originally posted by roygoh
OK. Here's some algebra:

For the 2-digit number that you pick, let "a" be the most significant digit and "b" be the least significant digit, thus 1<=a<=9 and 0<=b<=9.

"a" cannot be 0 or else it will not be a 2-digit number anymore.

Then the 2-digit number has a value of 10a + b
The sum of the 2 digits is a + b

Subtract the sum of the 2 digits from the original 2-digit number, and the result is (10a + b) - (a + b) = 9a.

Since "a" is an integer from 1 to 9, then the result is always a multiple of 9 (from 1x9=9 to 9x9=81), no matter which 2-digit number you pick at the beginning.

So, the trick is to assign the same symbol to all multiples of 9 from 9 to 81, and always show that symbol in the crystal ball. even though 90 and 99 are also multiples of 9, they will not be the results because the limit is 9x9 = 81. So the symbols for 90 and 99 can be different.

- Roy

I go down on my knees and say:
"I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.