Trombonist

BurgaFlippinMan

Jun 20, 2004
This was taken after the performance, I requested Fred Lonzo of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band for a pose and he kindly obliged. Yes, the exposure is pushed like hell (effectively ISO3200 iirc) and it isn't tack sharp, but I just loved the atmosphere and the mood he projected.

1-_DSC0727-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
actually other than the fact that the other hand looks chopped off, i actually quite like this kind of environmental portraiture. not perfect technically, but content wise thumbs up.

Thanks. Yes I admit there are technical flaws, but sometimes in the sheer pursuit of technical perfection I feel that some people tend to overlook the overall 'feel' of a picture. Sometimes the flaws can detract, sometimes they don't. Whether they do in this picture, well I leave it up to you. However, I personally think that this 'feel' is all important. :)

And yes, while I did request a quick pose, I didn't exactly have room to maneuver in, as anyone who has been into the insanely cramped Preservation Hall will know :lol:

Last edited:
Fred Lonzo - "Ahem ... Are you done with the camera already? I need to play. *low tone voice*" :bsmilie:

Joking aside. Seriously I feel the atmosphere. Mushy, jazzy kinda of feel. The one with having Martini and cigars kinda of thing. His expression and the way he hold the trumpet is the main feel of the photo. Dunno abt others but its just the way I feel. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

(Maybe you could convert it to BnW, up the contrast a lil bit and see how it feel. I do love the color and WB. But BnW will diffuse the grainy pic altogether.)

sorry i am not getting any feel of the picture. for one, i am not a fan of shooting from that angle (perspective) resulting in the arm taking more attention from the face and trombon.

Fred Lonzo - "Ahem ... Are you done with the camera already? I need to play. *low tone voice*" :bsmilie:

Joking aside. Seriously I feel the atmosphere. Mushy, jazzy kinda of feel. The one with having Martini and cigars kinda of thing. His expression and the way he hold the trumpet is the main feel of the photo. Dunno abt others but its just the way I feel. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

(Maybe you could convert it to BnW, up the contrast a lil bit and see how it feel. I do love the color and WB. But BnW will diffuse the grainy pic altogether.)

I tried a B&W conversion, but the color played too much of a vital role imo.

sorry i am not getting any feel of the picture. for one, i am not a fan of shooting from that angle (perspective) resulting in the arm taking more attention from the face and trombon.

I would argue that the most eyes would naturally be drawn to the face initially, and the arm provides a strong leading sweep towards the trombone and the low angle gives an imposing aura. Still, I can accept if you have a different opinion and I'm sorry it didn't work for you this time. Thanks for viewing. :)

I like the photo, u did capture a very good moment :) but will love it more if the focus is on the face to see the expression more clearly ;)

I agree, I did try to focus on his face but I guess my camera AF partially failed me in the poor light. I managed to squeeze a few more off but this particular one had the best expression by far. Sometimes you take what you get. :)

Last edited:
i like the mood. but his right hand is like sticking out from no where. try PP away his hand will be great.