Tripods

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumraisin

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Just wondering why some tripods can go up to $500 or more while others can be under $100? Why is there such a great difference in price?

You're paying for the cost and quantity of the material used plus any extra for marketing, brand name etc :)

Originally posted by rumraisin
Just wondering why some tripods can go up to $500 or more while others can be under $100? Why is there such a great difference in price?
mainly it's the type of material used and the weight/size relationship... generally the bigger and lighter it is, the more ex. the really ex ones u're referring to are probably like the carbon fiber ones. aluminium ones are cheaper, with normal metal type legs being the cheapest.

that's not all - you haven't even touched on the tripod heads, which is also affected by the type of material. for example, the magnesium, teflon-coated ones are more pricey. but in general, consider first what you need in a tripod, like the maximum weight or height, then do your research...

good luck!

I bought an olympus one that was $70 and it seems decent enough... what exactly are the advantages of teflon, etc?

Originally posted by rumraisin
I bought an olympus one that was $70 and it seems decent enough... what exactly are the advantages of teflon, etc?
well like i said, it depends on your needs... if u're using a $700 compact digicam, a $700 carbon fiber tripod with magnesium ballhead is Waaaaaaaay overkill... a $50 tripod would do just as well. but if u're one of those with a big SLR like the F5 or EOS1v, then a heavy-duty one which can take the weight is a must.

teflon coating makes the swiveling and movement of the tripod head smoother... less "lock-up" and friction. the good ones also come with a tension screw, which allows you to adjust how stiff you want the movement to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.