Tripod to introduce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fuse said:
think most stable tripods comes at a price, yah so far the cheapest will be the ones that comes with the purchase of DSLRs i guess, my combi of manfrotto 055 and ballhead RC484 cost ard 200 if my memory dun fail me

but RC484 supports to 6 kg only, suits my Fz5 + Tcon-17 combo well enuf, for Fz20 might need stronger ball head liao = more $$$

6kg?
dude... that's a overkill...
my slik sprint pro can support only 2kg.. and i'm using it to brillance with my 350d (600g), 18-50f2.8(700g), and my big-ass flash(400g)
LOL as long as not on dslr, don need those bigass ballheads..
overkill le...

sORe-EyEz said:
ballhead operates faster as 1 adjustes 2 axis at a time.

pan & tilt adjustes oni either at any 1 time.

as 4 1 tt supports centre column, i nv come across any1 tt does not...:sweat: unless we're refering 2 off-centre centre column by Gitzo Explorer & Giottos Inovator (did i spell it rite:think: ?), or low angle adaptor?:think:

lol let's say.. ballhead gives more flexibility for some.. you can adjust all 3 axis at a go.. for some people, that just means lack of control.. I really like it..

ergo, ballhead.. you turn 1 axis at a time.. supposed to be able to give you better control. most pple prefer it for landscape/panaroma shots.

those an*l-rentative people who wants mm perfect control use gear head.. u can turn your camera by the mm or even finer..

however, these are just perceptions, not true.. i liked the pan head till i tried the ball head.. i could hold it relatively steady, and it's alot faster for me.

I suggest you avoid the cheap slik sprint pros.. they are more expensive than the just about same as much cheaper and similar Digipod tripods. (I had a digipod and dominator had a slik uX000 series. the same i tell u.)

heh actually i don't see anything wrong with the cheaper chapalang brand tripods.. For a light camera, they are good enough. I bought the slik sprint pro coz i got addicted to the ball head, and I just had to have one, and it was the cheapest I could find. not to mention it happens to be one of the lightest ones aroud. I never ever wanna lug a 3kg tripod around with me all the time.. I'll just end up stop using it.

ETboy said:
" support at the centre column " as in ?:sweat: :sweat:

Not sure if you see before.. the slik sprint pro does not have the centre column support.
Same as this.
noc.jpg

Then there are those that have the support
havec.jpg

I feel that the ones that have the support seem sturdier. My slik sprint pro seems to sway when the wind blows. :sweat:

rhair78 said:
Not sure if you see before.. the slik sprint pro does not have the centre .......

I feel that the ones that have the support seem sturdier. My slik sprint pro seems to sway when the wind blows. :sweat:

ah now i get a better picture... but those without support seems to be able to go quite a low hight rite? but not on those with support.?:dunno:

Those with support have a maximum angle to open till. I used to have a Slik Sprint Pro because of its weight + it's quite versatile. Until 1 time I stupidly forgot to tighten the centre column & I held it up by the head, the legs just dropped and the whole thing spoilt liao. Concluded that the Slik Sprint Pro, though light & generally all-rounder, is quite badly built for drops and shocks.

Now, I'm using a Manfrotto ProB. It's quite abit heavier but u can feel it's more stable & sturdy. Feels solid too. But then u gotta buy a seperate ballhead la... So total for my current tripod + ballhead exceeds your budget by 100% liao... paiseh. Haha! But I'm sure there are those who'll agree with me that the tripod is a long-term investment and it's worthwhile to get a good one, even though it's abit more pricey at first.

Think about it...

karnage said:
Those with support have a maximum angle to open till. I used to have a Slik Sprint Pro because of its weight + it's quite versatile. Until 1 time I stupidly forgot to tighten the centre column & I held it up by the head, the legs just dropped and the whole thing spoilt liao. Concluded that the Slik Sprint Pro, though light & generally all-rounder, is quite badly built for drops and shocks.

Now, I'm using a Manfrotto ProB. It's quite abit heavier but u can feel it's more stable & sturdy. Feels solid too. But then u gotta buy a seperate ballhead la... So total for my current tripod + ballhead exceeds your budget by 100% liao... paiseh. Haha! But I'm sure there are those who'll agree with me that the tripod is a long-term investment and it's worthwhile to get a good one, even though it's abit more pricey at first.

Think about it...

yea i knw tat so tats why i'm considering it carefully whether to squeeze in more money into it.. moreover i dun think i will be using it very often. so have to listen to more exprience guys like u all for pointers. haha

money no enough ah haha :sweatsm: :sweat:

I feel that the ones that have the support seem sturdier. My slik sprint pro seems to sway when the wind blows. :sweat:[/QUOTE]

it depends on
. d weight of or cam
. centre column height setting (some1 advise against extending it all d way up)
. whether ur load is near d tripod's max load
. & whether d cam is in portrait mode = off d centre axis.
all tis play a part, in introducing vibration & risk of cam toppling.

in any case d tripod should always b much heavier dan d cam + flash, etc.

Haha! For me, a tripod is only used for landscape, night-scape, panorama & group shots where I'll be in the picture too. Mmm... Can't think of any other place to use a tripod for. Everyone tells me to use a tripod for macro but so far I think I did alright without one, unless I'm doing reverse lens la... haha! But that's extreme.

If u can hold out awhile more to save up for a better tripod, I'd advise u so. Meanwhile, borrow a cheap one that can tahan the weight?

rhair78 said:
Not sure if you see before.. the slik sprint pro does not have the centre column support.

so to all guys......use your ois!!
hmm my sprint pro i ever tried on a mountain with not so strong wind, tried without ois can see abit blur...but with ois? it works!

after so much testing, now with or without tripod i also use ois la.

unseen said:
6kg?
dude... that's a overkill...
my slik sprint pro can support only 2kg.. and i'm using it to brillance with my 350d (600g), 18-50f2.8(700g), and my big-ass flash(400g)
LOL as long as not on dslr, don need those bigass ballheads..
overkill le...

no lah thats the price of a first hand one, me first hand manfrotto tripod with second hand 484RC2 ball head haha

fz5 so compact and light haha, but really appreciate the stability of manfrotto, but well, its cold hard cash$$$ haha

I have a very solid tripod that stand strong and firm. But with the phayee lens hood and UV filter always mount on my FZ20, the front becomes very heavy and that is where the problem start to arise when i use tripod. When the FZ20 is mounted horizontally on the tripod everything is fine, but when i tilt the camera to a vertical position, the heavy lens portion will slowy make the camera rotate downward pointing to the ground. this happen no matter how hard i screw the FZ20 on the tripod.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Hey lightning!

Usually a ballhead's weight capability stated refers to the horizontal position. If u use it vertically, the weight limit is halved. So probably that's why your ballhead does not hold it well in the vertical position. Try heavier duty ballheads for the FZ20 or screw tighter? Haha! Ya...

lightning69 said:
I have a very solid tripod that stand strong and firm. But with the phayee lens hood and UV filter always mount on my FZ20, the front becomes very heavy and that is where the problem start to arise when i use tripod. When the FZ20 is mounted horizontally on the tripod everything is fine, but when i tilt the camera to a vertical position, the heavy lens portion will slowy make the camera rotate downward pointing to the ground. this happen no matter how hard i screw the FZ20 on the tripod.

a new tripod head w/ a heavier max load will help, since u said ur tripod legs r v gd. if u get a new tripod head do consider carefully if u 1 2 use an ext. flash in d future. get 1 w/ a max load of abt 6kg to b safe. :think:

i intro a manfrotto 190,it cheap and good...you still need to get a head of course..if you'll tall may want to think of a 055...but tell u first,the 055 is heavy after u put the head on the tripod...about 3 kg.(am having one,heavy man...)

Hi ETBoy,

Dunno if it helps or not but maybe you should consider if weight plays a part in deciding which tripod to buy. If you're looking for light weight and within your budget, I think you can safely consider the Slik Sprint PRO (ballhead) or the Slik Sprint PRO 3-way (pan-tilt head). I'm using the latter one with my FZ10 and I find it quite sufficient considering that I don't use the tripod much too, just like you. No point "investing" too much on a tripod if you're rarely going to use it. It will become a "white elephant".

As for Manfrotto, I was considering it (before I bought the Slik tripod), MAN, it's HUGE compared to the Slik. Yes, it's heavy too. So, if you're going to carry it around the whole of Singapore, you might want to think again or bring a trolley...haha...:bsmilie: But you get stability since it's that heavy. But it will definitely blow your budget of $100 since the 190B tripod cost close to $200, not forgetting you need to get a ballhead which will cost slightly less than $100. In total, the Manfrotto solution might cost you somewhere between $280-$300.

So, good luck in your selection...:thumbsup:

lightning69 said:

mine tilt side way..:sweatsm:

got one noob question,on the tripod head,there is a screw and one more metal button.May i know whats the button for?is it suppose to face the front or back?:confused:

jerry2308 said:
got one noob question,on the tripod head,there is a screw and one more metal button.May i know whats the button for?is it suppose to face the front or back?:confused:

u mean there's d standard thread & another pin? if its d pin u refering 2 den its 4 certain cam tt has got an extra hole 2 secure d cam 2 d tripod head or base.

if not den...:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.