Tripod recommended for VideoCam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ljung

May 11, 2005
hi, looking for a tripod cum head for video cam:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=265632

most likely max will be using on Canon XL (no plan for those giant mammoth), besides the Manfrotto 503/525, is there any other possible tripod that is usable on this range of cam with the 503 head ?

Manfrotto 055? Jack is selling a Benro equivilent on the Buy & Sell Threads under Mass Order. Just make sure you have the high to work with anything wabout 1.7m with legs fully extended only. You can try Slik or Millers too. :eek:

There are also some generic brands like photomate, velbron, sony, etc that comes with a fluid head. Go to Sim Lim ground floor area or try Expandore opposite Sim Lim Tower. ;)

Manfrotto 055? Jack is selling a Benro equivilent on the Buy & Sell Threads under Mass Order. Just make sure you have the high to work with anything wabout 1.7m with legs fully extended only. You can try Slik or Millers too. :eek:

There are also some generic brands like photomate, velbron, sony, etc that comes with a fluid head. Go to Sim Lim ground floor area or try Expandore opposite Sim Lim Tower. ;)

thanks for the info, is the 503 fluid head working well with the Manfrotto 055?
am not quite worry about the height, dont think will extend all the way everytime. most important is the stability.
generic brands with fluid head? is fluid head really common outside Manfrotto? can pls advise the model to look for? will be getting it this week. thanks.

thanks for the info, is the 503 fluid head working well with the Manfrotto 055?

I'm using the 503 head with 055SB legs. The legs are fine, but I find the head a bit sticky for pans and tilts if I am zoomed in. There is also a sort of springback when I let go of the pan handle at the end of a pan. I've used this tripod with VX2000, XL2 and Canon XH-A1 and the results are similar with all of them. I'd like to upgrade the head if possible, but can't seem to find anywhere in Singapore that has suitable alternatives in stock for me to try out.

I think that the 503 head is a little overkill for those small cams. Its design for those big & heavy broadcast cams. The 128RC is very good, I've been using them for years for all my PD170, VX200, DVX102s, great work horse.

thanks for all the suggestions and advise. have gone into a SONY tripod (with control on the head) to match the FX

:cool:

Get a Vinten Pro 5 or Pro-6 ....very reliable and smooth.

Dan, Sachtler cost a lot of $$$$... no money la...

I using Vinten Pro 5 good enough..

Pierce

Where is a good place to order the Vinten Pro 5.
Whats the best price

Sam,

I got mine from Expandore. Forgot how much I paid for it liao. maybe seven hundred plus?

Alternatively you can wait awhile for the Manfrotto 501HDV that is coming in.

Pierce

Don't the Vintens and Manfrottos come out from the same factory? They both belong to the Vitec Group. Looking at their design, the externals of the tripods are virtually identical except for cosmetic changes. In fact, I think the Vinten Pro5 is using Manfrotto 525 legs and branded as such too.

Don't the Vintens and Manfrottos come out from the same factory? They both belong to the Vitec Group. Looking at their design, the externals of the tripods are virtually identical except for cosmetic changes. In fact, I think the Vinten Pro5 is using Manfrotto 525 legs and branded as such too.

Yes, you are right! Vinten Pro series is OEM from Manfrotto. BTW, Pro 5 has discontiuned, only Pro-6 and Pro-10 is still available. In fact, Vinten, Sachtler and Manfrotto all under Vitec group.

Status
Not open for further replies.