Tripod on a budget

Wow! I went to look at some reviews of Sirui and I found the R1204 is a good tripod for me!(fits most, if not all of what I need/want) Thanks for all your help! I think my mind is pretty much fixed on that model. However, should anyone have a better option, do leave it here in the comments! :D

Wow! I went to look at some reviews of Sirui and I found the R1204 is a good tripod for me!(fits most, if not all of what I need/want) Thanks for all your help! I think my mind is pretty much fixed on that model. However, should anyone have a better option, do leave it here in the comments! :D

R1204 is carbon fibre, so it is a bit pricier, $239 with G10 ballhead.

I've tried both the R1004 and R2004 before, think the main difference between R1004 and R1204 is the material (aluminium versus carbon fibre). Stability wise, I found the R2004 much better, with thicker legs. Also allows for a higher maximum height. But of course, it's significantly heavier. :)

You might consider upgrading from G10 in TK's package to G20, I think most of the reviews on G10 ballhead claims that it feels very flimsy.

Yup I chose the R1204 over the R1004/2004 due to it being carbon fibre. The R2xxx seems to be able to hold more weight, does making it more expensive. But, with my current(and very possibly my future) set up, the extra weight is not needed.
Hmm..about the G10, what do you mean by flimsy? I'm not sure if the G20 is worth the extra bucks yet.

Yup I chose the R1204 over the R1004/2004 due to it being carbon fibre. The R2xxx seems to be able to hold more weight, does making it more expensive. But, with my current(and very possibly my future) set up, the extra weight is not needed.
Hmm..about the G10, what do you mean by flimsy? I'm not sure if the G20 is worth the extra bucks yet.

a good ballhead is always worth the extra bucks :eek: don't misunderstand that its a very simple attachment and cheap cheap one will do. a flimsy ballhead will give u no end of insecurity and frustration, even with a light setup.

bring your camera there when u buy, mount it on and really get to know what it feels like, and buy the one that suits u. if u feel that the G10 is good enough, so be it. but if you feel that the knobs are fiddly, doesn't feel secure, not enough control in the friction, just upgrade.

its not just the extra weight - its other factors like build quality, ease of control and overall impression.

The biggest frustration from a undersized or cheap BH is creeping. A good BH doesn't need to turn knob super tight.

Tripod is not about the legs, it's also the ballhead. Ballhead with friction control is very useful. Sirui T series is also recommended if you want something light and short and folded 180o so very portable for traveling. Tk is a good place to test it out and as some mentioned the price is good and they dun pressure you to buy. Slr revo has some range for velbon which you can try as well, though I feel it's less stable than Sirui. Hope that helps.

thanks for all your input! I'll try both ballheads to see which is better for my setup! :)

megain said:
thanks for all your input! I'll try both ballheads to see which is better for my setup! :)

The G20 is only another $20 more...

Think of your future upgrade of lenses and body. U won't stick to your current setup, I can guarantee u.

I'm using G20 and have no problem at all. No regrets.

Hohoho...I told that to myself in the past and got a couple of tripods that doesn't hold my current gear well. Then I spent on another one that suits my current setup. The point being if budget allows don't just get a tripod that can just hold ur current gear but get one that exceeds so that in the future when your gear gets "fatter and heavier" the tripod can still work fine instead of spending money again on new tripod.

Also for me I look at the legs ' diameter + weight capacity as a guideline and not just weight capacity. E.g. my cheapo Fancier tripod can hold my heavy 500mm + body with grip + flash but the legs are so thin that it is not sturdy compared to say Sirui 4230L (which costs many many times more) with thicker legs and higher weight capacity.

For the ballhead go to the shop to test it out.

Hohoho...I told that to myself in the past and got a couple of tripods that doesn't hold my current gear well. Then I spent on another one that suits my current setup. The point being if budget allows don't just get a tripod that can just hold ur current gear but get one that exceeds so that in the future when your gear gets "fatter and heavier" the tripod can still work fine instead of spending money again on new tripod.

Also for me I look at the legs ' diameter + weight capacity as a guideline and not just weight capacity. E.g. my cheapo Fancier tripod can hold my heavy 500mm + body with grip + flash but the legs are so thin that it is not sturdy compared to say Sirui 4230L (which costs many many times more) with thicker legs and higher weight capacity.

For the ballhead go to the shop to test it out.

its a very common mindset lah... buy one "just right", dun want spend too much :bsmilie:

who would've thought that this is precisely the mindset that will cause the person to pay more when they outgrow their gear?

i envy my friend who jumped straight in to get a gitzo carbon fibre tripod and markins head. he's never felt the need (or the itch) to upgrade cos he already has the best :cool: and having used the same gear for some years now, its well worth the money he spent. best of all, gitzo tripods and markins heads maintain their resale value so he won't lose much even if he needs to cash out.

he's not a pro. he doesn't make money with his shots. but this approach provides much greater utility in the long run, even if it costs a little more upfront. :thumbsup:

its a very common mindset lah... buy one "just right", dun want spend too much :bsmilie:

who would've thought that this is precisely the mindset that will cause the person to pay more when they outgrow their gear?

i envy my friend who jumped straight in to get a gitzo carbon fibre tripod and markins head. he's never felt the need (or the itch) to upgrade cos he already has the best :cool: and having used the same gear for some years now, its well worth the money he spent. best of all, gitzo tripods and markins heads maintain their resale value so he won't lose much even if he needs to cash out.

he's not a pro. he doesn't make money with his shots. but this approach provides much greater utility in the long run, even if it costs a little more upfront. :thumbsup:

Actually, from what I have seen, ball heads are a lot harder to sell. The cheaper ones tend to sell the fastest. And Markins are not easy to sell.

Those reasons you all posted don't seem to appeal to my tight budget. So I think I'm still getting the cheaper(not really) models. It's already a HUGE upgrade from my free Sony tripod!

Those reasons you all posted don't seem to appeal to my tight budget. So I think I'm still getting the cheaper(not really) models. It's already a HUGE upgrade from my free Sony tripod!

I was like you before, got a cheaper tripod thinking it was an improvement over the freebie tripod. In the end I upgraded twice. If I had known, I would have gotten my current tripod in the beginning. Would have saved me a nice amount.

I doubt he shoots in the sea then.

Gitzo Tripod Sham
GITZO TRIPOD (SURF/BEACH PHOTOGRAPHY) - FM Forums
Salt water Gitzo tripod damage [Archive] - Canon Digital Photography Forums

I always don't spend too much on tripods because well, even if they are sooooo good, there's always a chance that they'll be gone. It doesn't have to be theft, during my recent trip the whole thing went into the sea when a huge wave came and stirred up all the sand - this was after I had dug it in deep too. :bsmilie:

The Sirui is fine, don't worry too much about it.

Quality comes at an exponential price.. The poor man's lack of economy does not apply a lot of the time today , especially when things are built to be replaced. It's not the good old days anymore.

I've seen people buy higher end stuff... Billingham (not even that high end), Gitzo... Then they will sit at home and mollycoddle it... Wail when it gets scratched, buffed, whatever... When asked why they don't shoot in the sea, they will sigh and say, it costs so much you know, I can't bear to do it. Shots are not made with uber high end gear... They are made by the photographer. And I know for sure that it's much easier to put a $200 tripod into the water, compared to a 4 figure tripod and ballhead combination. There IS a fine balance between good and very good; you just have to find it. Same goes for the thin fine line between poor care of gear and overprotectiveness because of the high price you paid. The tripod that is used to get the shots you want? It doesn't necessarily mean it is the most expensive one out there. It's the one that you can bring yourself to use. I can't, and I know myself, so there it is.

Last edited:
edutilos- said:
The Sirui is fine, don't worry too much about it.

Quality comes at an exponential price.. The poor man's lack of economy does not apply a lot of the time today , especially when things are built to be replaced. It's not the good old days anymore.

I've seen people buy higher end stuff... Billingham (not even that high end), Gitzo... Then they will sit at home and mollycoddle it... Wail when it gets scratched, buffed, whatever... When asked why they don't shoot in the sea, they will sigh and say, it costs so much you know, I can't bear to do it. Shots are not made with uber high end gear... They are made by the photographer. And I know for sure that it's much easier to put a $200 tripod into the water, compared to a 4 figure tripod and ballhead combination. There IS a fine balance between good and very good; you just have to find it. Same goes for the thin fine line between poor care of gear and overprotectiveness because of the high price you paid. The tripod that is used to get the shots you want? It doesn't necessarily mean it is the most expensive one out there. It's the one that you can bring yourself to use. I can't, and I know myself, so there it is.

If I have a Gitzo tripod, I'll definitely make sure it goes thr all harsh weather and climate to make its worth. I'm paying for confidence, not paying for tofu -_-"

If I have a Gitzo tripod, I'll definitely make sure it goes thr all harsh weather and climate to make its worth. I'm paying for confidence, not paying for tofu -_-"

LOL That perked me up! And yes, I don't want such a heavy tripod. That'll only discourage me from bringing it out. Usually I use a tripod because I shoot in the late afternoon when the sun is not so high. Also, I use a slow(not really, but still quite slow) kit lens that requires me to fire at slow shutter speeds. Disappointed by many blurred photos, I decided to lug my tripod around(though cumbersome to set-up).

@edutilos I came back from a beach shoot. Is rinsing my tripod with tap water (parts fully exposed) and then drying it considered 'poor care'? o_O

Then let me tell you, Gitzo or what, unless you get a Ocean Traveller, the joints will rot in the sea same as a Sirui. :bsmilie: