Tree's a fallen'

zac89

Dec 31, 2008
5085673516_4b64de0848.jpg

Took this at bukit timah nature reserve. in the afternoon, the trees gave ample shade so the light wasn't very harsh.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Learn better photographic techniques, as black and white photography is something that i'd like to delve into

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
the flowing grains of the fallen tree trunk are very symmetrical, no emotions to speak of i guess

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think it lacks emotion? but then again, i wasn't really going for emotion, the idea was the nice flowing grains on the trunk =)

Last edited:
yeap bro, its wood alright. a fallen tree trunk. I used B/W cause it's something that i want to learn more about. about the interest point, my main point of focus was on the flowing grains on the trunk but i don't knw if that counts as a point of interest =)

Hey man,
I think the BW works in this case since it highlights the lines in the trunk and therefore draws the attention of the viewer to the grains. :)

However, I agree with coolthought on the point that it's overcropped.. If the focus is on the pattern of the grains, the viewer may not want to see it abruptly cut off at the side, and it might have looked better if you captured the entire trunk, which would in a sense, make a more complete image with a proper interest point.

simply having half wood and background doesn't really mean symmetry.
It is kinda hard to tell you what works and doesn't here.... I will use examples...

The emphasis is on the cut surface and overcropping shifted the focus away.
Here are a few decent example with better composition.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fixedwheelnut/3672222400/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/synthetictone/3339756934/

Hey man,
I think the BW works in this case since it highlights the lines in the trunk and therefore draws the attention of the viewer to the grains. :)

However, I agree with coolthought on the point that it's overcropped.. If the focus is on the pattern of the grains, the viewer may not want to see it abruptly cut off at the side, and it might have looked better if you captured the entire trunk, which would in a sense, make a more complete image with a proper interest point.

Thanks for the links and tips guys =) will try another shot sometime soon, and i'll take these composition notes into account =)

I think the bw is good. it has nice contrast on the shadows and the shades of white and grey are prominent.

But the image lacks focal point and I find the composition incomplete and I wouldn't say uninteresting though. probably what i'd like to see more is the wood's texture and not so much of the background.

That's just an opinion and keep up the good work!

Another composition that you might want to try is to fill the entire frame with the cross section of the trunk, to show only the grains. There is no obvious focal point in this image thus making it difficult for viewer to understand the picture. Nice attempt :)

Last edited:
Ok. I see part of a tree that is sawn. So?

Sorry. No story, no strong enough element in this picture to capture my attention.

It is neither here nor there.