Transition from Prosumer to DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
After a few days of using a DSLR, i find that there are quite a number of difference of using this two type of camera. (with respect to D90 and 18-105mm AF-S VR but i think all DSLR should be about the same?) Therefore would like to use this to consolidate a thread for prosumer -> DSLR transition.

So, the first thing is about focusing (with respect to live view), with my old prosumer, after i zoom, the subject is capture clearly (autofocus) (without the need to half click to autofocus) but when i use my DSLR, after i zoom i need to manual focus even though i set to AF on both lens and body. G

ot a bro enlighten me then it is ok but he is using another lens that has M/A function while i have separate M and A so would like to double confirm.

Secondly, still on focusing, i find that DSLR takes longer to focus when u half click compared to prosumer and it is harder to focus, sometimes it cannot focus, is it that i need a better lens? or is it just me, haha

side note:
D90
18-105mm AF-S VR

Last edited:
have to understand that prosumer is prosumer and dslr is dslr....gonna get knots figuring them out so dont bother.

PnS usually cant select specific focus point so in general they just use all while DSLR can choose focus point so slower somewhat.

After a few days of using a DSLR, i find that there are quite a number of difference of using this two type of camera. (with respect to D90 and 18-105mm AF-S VR but i think all DSLR should be about the same?) Therefore would like to use this to consolidate a thread for prosumer -> DSLR transition.

So, the first thing is about focusing (with respect to live view), with my old prosumer, after i zoom, the subject is capture clearly (autofocus) (without the need to half click to autofocus) but when i use my DSLR, after i zoom i need to manual focus even though i set to AF on both lens and body. G

ot a bro enlighten me then it is ok but he is using another lens that has M/A function while i have separate M and A so would like to double confirm.

Secondly, still on focusing, i find that DSLR takes longer to focus when u half click compared to prosumer and it is harder to focus, sometimes it cannot focus, is it that i need a better lens? or is it just me, haha

side note:
D90
18-105mm AF-S VR

The best thing abt DSLR is the abilities to manually use different settings for different shootings to get different effects and feel, this I'm sure you know. But this is also the tricky part of a DSLR. If these setting combination don't work together you end up as bad not even abt to click (due to lighting unable to focus). Depending when you are shooting and what settings you are using will determine if you can AF easily too. I am sure if you change your dial to Auto you would be able to AF quite the same as a prosumer cam.

As for the 18-105mm its not a fast AF lens to begin with. Try to look at the red blink of the focus point blinks after you half shatter should tells you where you are forcusing on.

Fast AF on a DSLR is to do with the lens unfortunately can only be fixed with faster lenses.

Hope this helps.

Cheerio~

The prosumer focus faster cus its depth of field is much much bigger than what is produced by the D90+kit lens. So since everything is already in focus, theres not much more the camera can precisely focus on. DSLR's depth of field is much thinner, thus at telephoto side, the camera would tend to hunt for focus.

But if your point your prosumer at a blank wall, it gives auto focus confirmation. if you point your D90 at a blank wall, it will probably defocus lol. I think its because you have to point the af points at something like a line then the camera can focus properly. Happens on my D300 too, espcially if i actually point it at something blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.