Touring China. Which cities are worth a visit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
marcwang said:
Another question.......

I realise it might be minus 20 degrees at times .... do u think my D100 can take it ?

You will have to put your camera in your coat close to you every minute to keep it warm and to keep batteries from draining like water. ........ :D

To see China with 5000 years history go to Xian, for 500 years of history go to Beijing, for 50 years go to Shanghai.

Xian, I think is the only city in China that still has the ancient city wall still intact.

MotoNik said:
To see China with 5000 years history go to Xian, for 500 years of history go to Beijing, for 50 years go to Shanghai.

Xian, I think is the only city in China that still has the ancient city wall still intact.

Nah... plenty of places still have the ancient city wall. For example, in shanghai there's a small section of the old city wall.

In Beijing, the whole Forbidden City is surrounded by Ancient City Wall, so is Luo Yang....

XIan is more for the relics and terracotta warriers of Emperor Qin... Other than that i don't hear much abt it.

Jiuzhaigou is good to visit in autumn and spring cos of the colour of the changing foliage and all. Going in winter can be quite cold and uncomfortable if you are not used to it.Also, the roads there become quite dangerous as the temp can get sub-zero in the early morning and you will have sheet ice and frost on the road. Accidents are actually quite frequent in the region there.

In fact, a friend of mine was just there last week and it's already hovering around 12 degs in the morning now. And the day she arrived, a tour bus just rolled off a cliff!

Hangzhou, Tianjin and Suzhou are quite nice even in winter.
Shenzhen and Shanghai has been plagued by pickpockets and snatch-thiefs recently. The 3 Gorges still have some charm, but some sections are closed for the dam project. Never been to Harbin, but heard by December, it's covered with snow already. And they will have the Harbin Ice-craving Festival, though not sure of the dates.

Prismatic said:
Never been to Harbin, but heard by December, it's covered with snow already. And they will have the Harbin Ice-craving Festival, though not sure of the dates.

nomally fall on Jan/Feb.
Understand that yr 2005 is fall on the CNY.

Shanghai - Shopping, look at the modern side of china, Huang Pu Jiang is nice.
Can also take go for some day tour to nearby Hang Zhou to see West Lake. And also go to Zhou Zhuang to see village by the river.

Beijing - Capital of china, lot of historical places, forbidden city, summer palace, yuan ming yuan, heaven's temple and great wall etc etc.
And Oct-Nov is so call a good season to visit beijing (autumn)
There is a place for Xiang Shan (Fragrant Hill) which have Red Leaf during this season, it quite beautiful if u manage to go at the right time.

Huang Shan - No. 1 mountain in China. There's a saying in china that after u visited Huang Shan, u don't need to visit other mountains in china.

Jiu Zai Gou - Beautiful place. Shu zai shui zhong zhang, shui zai lin zhong liu, ren zai hua zhong you. Another sayings in china, after u visited Jiu Zai, u won't need to visit other water scenic tour site in china.
But many accident happen due to the uneven & unsafe road.

Yunnan - New rising tourist spot in china, Li Jiang, a newly opened tourist attraction. Shang'ri'la, beautiful place. (If i have the time & money, I'll will go to Yunnan)

Harbin - If u like to see Ice Lamp and ice scrap, winter is the prefect time to go but it's damn cool....

Just keep in mind, there is a lot of trickster/bian zi china....they will try hard to bluff or cheat your money etc....Especially during buying thing or offering tour service area, just be more street smart. No matter how well prepare u are, u sometime will get into their trap becos they r well-trained. But dun worry, they just wanna earn extra money from u, they won't used force etc.

BTW, i'm going to Beijing for holiday next friday. Hope be able to catch the Red Leaf season at Xiang Shan.

I would recommend Xi'an. Definitely worth visiting even is just for the Terrecotta Warriors and the old walls. Is the start of the Silk Road and the ancient capital of China ("Chang-An"). The warriors are simply magestic.

Status
Not open for further replies.