Too many photographer-wannabe out there!

Are there too many photographer-wannabe out there?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
just take 'fashion photography' as an example.

it's more than hiring a pretty model, stand in front of the palm tree, shoot with a slr and you call that fashion photography!

heh!

shooter said:
Don't you agree??!!

Every1 thought owning a dslr can make u an instant photographer!! How true is that!!
:think: why ppl have e idea of having big camera=pro....
i think wannabies are ppl who pick up photography....and give up halfway when they lose interest to improve...

jsbn said:
A photographer wannabe need not necessarily possess a SLR system.

I had seen, experienced and dealt with wannabes holding PnS. Its pretty simple handling these buggers, I simply tore their big proud stages and loud voices of their 'very expensive' $700 digital cameras (tio suan, ask if I got a digital camera or not) with a simple...

"My one cannot win yours lah. My lens oredi $1400+ liaoz. Body only $1800. Flash $500."

Spoken loud and clear with the same mocking tone delivered to me in front of their peers.
Should say... got but today never ask my assistant to carry out my over $10K of equipment out.
Very heavy one, cannot compare to yours, still can shoot video one. :bsmilie:

Cheesecake said:
i jus wannabe the slides master or the b/w master! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

i shoot craps, but i shoot slides... :bsmilie:

anyway, i took 4 rolls of slides to develop, the person thought i pro wor...

but then the funny thing is he ask if i was shooting product... velvia wor... thought product shoot now all digital liao... :think:

Digital SLR allows people to learn or improve by shooting more pics (every frame is without the per frame cost of film) at most a very neglible depreciation cost per frame.

It also allow easy learning / review of shots, with the information of aperture/ shutter speed / ISO / metering settings, etc.

Naturally, it is easier & more encouraging for people aspiring to be "pro"s or people "forced" by job market conditions into it.

Internet also makes information very accessible, hence easier for learners then before.

So what if there are more "wannabes", does it mean all the "pro's" are any more talented without them? (no offence, no doubt respect the pro's, but not all are always good or talented....but pity those livelihood affected or struggling)

Maybe the issue is more competition for the dough in the market.........but growing competition happens everywhere every trade.........makes it tougher & more competitive.........but the happy lot are the camera/lens makers & sellers, who are also competing to get their share of the pie.:sweat:

jsbn said:
A wannabe can be a good photographer if he makes himself eat the humble pie big time.
A good photographer can also be a wannabe if his ego expands bigger than what his head can hold.

50% of the time, a wannabe can never a good photographer.
However, its almost 99% of the time that a good photographer turns into a wannabe.
Very very true ... :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i shoot craps, but i shoot slides...

anyway, i took 4 rolls of slides to develop, the person thought i pro wor...

but then the funny thing is he ask if i was shooting product... velvia wor... thought product shoot now all digital liao... :think:
where got use velvia for product shoots? velvia is used for landscape mah. :bsmilie:

for product, i think i oso dunno use wat slides la. so long liao. sensia should be ok la. it is general purpose.

then for morder, use provia.

see? i still remember. :bsmilie:

real plo shoot in slides. :thumbsup:

i jus wanna be slides master or b/W master la! like tat steady for me liao. take b/w films to develop, the lab surely think i was from the last decade and revere me as the true plo.:thumbsup:

FilterFunk said:
i would say that sg has quite high concentration of dslr users compared to other countries in say.. Taiwan?

most of the time, they are satisfied with hp cameras and pns. if you whip out a dslr and a big telephoto lens over there, it might get several unwanted big stares here and there ;)

$ingaporeans got $$$ mah :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

shooter said:
Don't you agree??!!

Every1 thought owning a dslr can make u an instant photographer!! How true is that!!

I think it is very healthy. It shows many singaporeans are picking up on the sport and have keen interest in it. Isn't this a very good news ?

How long they maintain it or whether they are using a DSLR / PnS, it is another issue. For most , it is only a hobby.

shooter said:
Don't you agree??!!

Yourself included?

shooter said:
Don't you agree??!!

That is very true!

Owning a dslr can make u an instant photographer but not an instant dentist unless you install a little drill powered from your lithium ion battery. :bsmilie:

shooter said:
just take 'fashion photography' as an example.

it's more than hiring a pretty model, stand in front of the palm tree, shoot with a slr and you call that fashion photography!

heh!

If you count one palm tree per model, there are just not enough palm trees for all the models in this island. :sweatsm:

Cumon.. It happens in IT too.. Some pple call themselves IT pro even though they dun know much about IT....

Sion said:
If you count one palm tree per model, there are just not enough palm trees for all the models in this island. :sweatsm:

:think: too many model-wannabes?

maybe we need palm-tree-wannabes to balance it?

I think the thread starter dislikes those wannabes who are snobbish about their works and boost about how professional they are in appearance when they wield a dSLR.

A wannabe can be a good thing. Afterall, a photographer-wannabe aspires to be professional in standard. He/she can choose to eat the humble pie during the education journey. Remember the definition of a wannabe is someone who aspires to be someone/something and acts like one. The process of "becoming" or being a wannabe is the questionable part.

I still remember a world-class athlete who made a very inspiring statement on an interview on the Discovery Channel: "To be the best, you have to think and act like the best".

I don't know what I wannabe...:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.