Tokina AT-X 828 AF PRO AF 80-200mm f2.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donchua

Nov 30, 2004
Tampines
atx828afpro.jpg

Tokina AT-X 828 AF PRO AF 80-200mm f2.8

Anybody know how much the above lens cost new?
If for a used set around $720, worth the price?
If not, what used price is good?
How the the performance?

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/afl-05b.html

Thanks.

the only downside is slow AF and the 1.8m min focus dist and the funny triood collar. only good thing is good build. osme say its soft wide open but u got to test a copy yourself.

i have the red ring version and it has served me well.
Nice and sharp pictures.
Downside is the weight.

Bought one brand new about 10 months ago @ $860 from CP during special promotion. The lens is well built but a bit noisy during focusing. Sharpness and Colour not to my liking, hence sold it after 3-4 months @ $600 and bought the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM.

Hwvr I hv lately saw some pictures taken by the Tokina again but was very imprssed by the sharpnes and colour this time:thumbsup: , Don't ask me why:think: , perhaps my skills wasn't good enough at that time.:embrass:

I somehow like the tripod collar as comapred to the Sigma. It is smaller/more compact and easy for storage, either in the dry cabinet or camera bags

I was told by Cathay lately that ther is no more promotion and the price is back to $1k plus for this lens. Perhaps you can check wiuth CP again!

Fuji Olykon said:
Bought one brand new about 10 months ago @ $860 from CP during special promotion. The lens is well built but a bit noisy during focusing. Sharpness and Colour not to my liking, hence sold it after 3-4 months @ $600 and bought the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM.

Hwvr I hv lately saw some pictures taken by the Tokina again but was very imprssed by the sharpnes and colour this time:thumbsup: , Don't ask me why:think: , perhaps my skills wasn't good enough at that time.:embrass:

I somehow like the tripod collar as comapred to the Sigma. It is smaller/more compact and easy for storage, either in the dry cabinet or camera bags

I was told by Cathay lately that ther is no more promotion and the price is back to $1k plus for this lens. Perhaps you can check wiuth CP again!

how do you now like your sigma in comparison to tokina... better bet?

virtuoso said:
how do you now like your sigma in comparison to tokina... better bet?
I hv no complaints on the Sigma and it is quieter during AF. I can't say it is better bet bcos there is a vast difference ($200-300) in price between these two lenses at that time. Moreover, I hv seen pictures taken by the Tokina (though different mount) that is crisp sharp with good colour saturation which provoks me to think whether is it bcos of my camera body or my skill?:dunno:

I like the built, size, tripod collar of the Tokina but find the push/pull MF/AF switch on the focus ring difficult to engage.

Fuji Olykon said:
I hv no complaints on the Sigma and it is quieter during AF. I can't say it is better bet bcos there is a vast difference ($200-300) in price between these two lenses at that time. Moreover, I hv seen pictures taken by the Tokina (though different mount) that is crisp sharp with good colour saturation which provoks me to think whether is it bcos of my camera body or my skill?:dunno:

I like the built, size, tripod collar of the Tokina but find the push/pull MF/AF switch on the focus ring difficult to engage.

Bro

U should post some pics of both lens for comparison.....

I give a vote to your Sigma, I prefer the warmer tones as Sigma is known for that as well.

ortega said:
i have the red ring version and it has served me well.
Nice and sharp pictures.
Downside is the weight.

Are you using AF or MF mode for the red ring version? And your red rind is AF version or MF version? I find my MF mode on my AF version is almost impossible, but if you are using the red-ring "MF" lens, I guess it should be better.

MCS said:
Are you using AF or MF mode for the red ring version? And your red rind is AF version or MF version? I find my MF mode on my AF version is almost impossible, but if you are using the red-ring "MF" lens, I guess it should be better.

My red ring is AF version, btw what is AF/MF mode?
the switch is on the camera ...
use your thumb to flick the switch

Wanted to buy this initially but after testing it i cant stand the loud AF noise and its quite slow in my opinion . Optics also not very impressive but overall its a affordable f2.8 lens that features a flexible range of 80-200 , its a good buy if u are not so fussy with the optics and speed

ortega said:
My red ring is AF version, btw what is AF/MF mode?
the switch is on the camera ...
use your thumb to flick the switch

Sorry to confuse you, I mean when I select MF switch on my Nikon Camera, then I manual focus the object using my AF 80-200mm lens, it is very hard for me to focus.
Your photo was taken at AF mode or manually focus?
Thanks,
MCS

MCS said:
Sorry to confuse you, I mean when I select MF switch on my Nikon Camera, then I manual focus the object using my AF 80-200mm lens, it is very hard for me to focus.
Your photo was taken at AF mode or manually focus?
Thanks,
MCS

Done using auto focus,
why is it hard for you to focus?

Is this a new toy?
Practice and all will be well.

ortega said:
Done using auto focus,
why is it hard for you to focus?

Is this a new toy?
Practice and all will be well.

When I use manual focus, the focse ring is at the most front part (red ring). When I turn the focus ring a bit, the focus effect is very strong, and the focus ring is not firm at all, the focus ring shift by itself when I am not using my fingers to fix the focus ring. Therefore, always out-of-focus in manually focus mode.

It is my first Nikon compatibile lens, I paid less than $1K in 1993/94. but I did not use it for long time, always in my dry box, may be let me bring it out this weekend :)

I think I am a Tokina supporter, I own ATX 235 Pro, ATX 28-70 Pro and this 80-200mm. I love the 28-70, even mine is an old version F2.6-2.8, I use it most of the time in the past.

donchua,
I never try the new Pro version, and also did not check it at all, but just found the price in HK is much much cheaper for most lenses, I lernt a link as follow, it is about S$800 (HK$3700) for a new one, not sure about Singapore, but I guess it should be higher ... 5% GST at least
http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?page=photo/cameraprice.htm

if you want to get a used red-ring version like the one Ortega is having, you can go to Prime Lens. saw one there and price indicated as $580. probably can go down further if you are really interested.

can always go down to test. no harm one lah...

What is the diff between Red ring and Gold ring?

donchua said:

Other than being a newer model, I think the Gold Ring is the PRO version where the front focusing ring does not rotate, thereby allowing you to fit filters without having to re-position after focusing. Of course, Tokina would claim improved design over the Red ring.

donchua said:

red ring is more than 8 years old liao. gold ring about 2 years? anyway, gold one has improve AF, but i still find it slow as compared to the nikon AF-D/S 80-200mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.