Tokina 50 - 135mm 2.8 (Canon Mount) vs. EF 85mm 1.8 - if budget is tight

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyx79

Jan 5, 2009
I currently own a Canon EF 85mm 1.8 which in my opinion is capable of taking flattering shots esp when coupled with the right setup. The only challenge that I have so far is since it's a prime, it involves a lot of foot work.. I wish I could own a 70-200mm 2.8 but my budget is so limited for now so to speak. In other words it is not an option for now.

I found out about this tokina 50mm1-35mm F2.8 and so far a few reviews are quite good. However, unlike other brands the reviews for this lens are very few which made me wonder why?

To make the story short, I am considering it as my best option but I need to seek advice first from those users of this lens here in CS if there are any. My major reason is the price (i think it's around $700 SGD). Other reasons are versatility compared to 85mm.

For those who have used it or is currently using it esp the canon mount what can you say about the following:

1. IQ at widest aperture (softness/sharpness)
2. Focusing speed esp in low light
3. Focusing accuracy
4. Contrast
5. Weight
6. Overall performance in different focal lengths.

Opinions and suggestions are very much welcome.

1. IQ at widest aperture (softness/sharpness)
2. Focusing speed esp in low light
3. Focusing accuracy
4. Contrast
5. Weight
6. Overall performance in different focal lengths.

Opinions and suggestions are very much welcome.

Everything you're asking for is answered in the review on photozone.

However, focus lock in low light and focus accuracy is less a function of the lens, and more one of the camera body.

It all depends on how much light you have to work with.

the 50-135 is most likely using blueprints from Pentax`s DA* 50-135mm which is a bloody good lens but at insane pricing.

Everything you're asking for is answered in the review on photozone.

However, focus lock in low light and focus accuracy is less a function of the lens, and more one of the camera body.
Thanks for pointing me to that site Rashkae. :)

It all depends on how much light you have to work with.

the 50-135 is most likely using blueprints from Pentax`s DA* 50-135mm which is a bloody good lens but at insane pricing.
Thanks for the inputs bro! Yeah, it's a choice between 2.8 and 1.8 but still price and versatility is towards the tokina.

Status
Not open for further replies.