Tokina 12-24mm f/4 vs Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello surflim, just wondering if you were also looking at Tokina 10-17mm when you were evaluating the different WA lenses? I used the Tokina ATX-287 for many years and it never failed me. Thus I'm quite tempted to get either the Tokina 10-17mm or the 12-24mm. Any sharing of the 10-17mm experience would be much appreciated.

Mate,

10-17 is different category. its a Fish-eye lense. or i call it distortion effect lense. They are not ultra wide, but super ultra wide.

Isn't 10-17 a fisheye? Fisheye very different from UWA, in my book.

I bought the 10-20 a few weeks back, love it.

Congrat dude! I love my 10-20 as well.

Its definately one of the best lense Sigma do.

Thnaks for highlighting the difference. Looks like you guys are having great fun with the Sigma 10-20. Enjoy your shooting with this magical lens!

I'm thinking to get one, what is the best price now? which shop has the best offer?

Effectively grey set, $735 with GST, Orient Photo.

Comes with international warranty that Sigma Singapore happens not to accept.

Effectively grey set, $735 with GST, Orient Photo.

Comes with international warranty that Sigma Singapore happens not to accept.

Dude,

How do you check the warranty card that is a "international warranty"?

I got my in hongkong, comes with warranty card.. but dunno how to see whether is it international coverage

Dude,

How do you check the warranty card that is a "international warranty"?

I got my in hongkong, comes with warranty card.. but dunno how to see whether is it international coverage
No idea, they call it international warranty though, and I have dealt with them quite a number of times so I trust them, so far lens no problem so I don't really care.

Going to go back soon to chop the card. =) Especially since I'll be going overseas, if anything happens within the one year and the card is declined elsewhere (other than Singapore, anyways), I'll be sure to let you guys know.

The tokina price and built is great......:)

Thinking of getting one......;)

Is the promotion still on for the Tokina lens at Cathay ?

woot! thanks for all the comments here! i got my tokina 12-24mm today from cathay.. had a good promo on with free giottos monopod, lenspak pen something and a lowepro laptop bag.. well.. i'm quite happy with my purchase!! :)

No idea, they call it international warranty though, and I have dealt with them quite a number of times so I trust them, so far lens no problem so I don't really care.

Going to go back soon to chop the card. =) Especially since I'll be going overseas, if anything happens within the one year and the card is declined elsewhere (other than Singapore, anyways), I'll be sure to let you guys know.

There was this post going on about the international warranty from Sigma Singapore's stand. Something along the lines of this:

If the lens is with an original international warranty card, but not from an local dealer, service charges will be charged accordingly. However, spare parts are free under the warranty period.

I've got a 10-20 as well, and I'm loving it - however, do take note of the WA effect at 10mm - it does make composition a little hard at times.

was debating on exactly the same thing, whether to get the 10-20 or 12-24.
finally decided on the 12-24 for the constant aperture (f/4) and gd reviews. seems the lens is almost like the nikon one (except half the price) and a little compromise on qual and distortion.
however, if u do have a lot of $$ to spare, theres no argument there, just get the nikon 12-24 f/4. brilliant lens

woot! thanks for all the comments here! i got my tokina 12-24mm today from cathay.. had a good promo on with free giottos monopod, lenspak pen something and a lowepro laptop bag.. well.. i'm quite happy with my purchase!! :)

how much did u get it for?

I went with the Sigma 10-20mm because of the wider view.

Test shot at the shop.

Sigma 10-20, 10mm

1182242904_c819b982f8.jpg

Tokina 12-24mm, 12mm

1181385619_3e0af1ea2d.jpg

You can download the high resolution photos here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtemujin/

HTH.

Seem like Sigma have strong distortion with straight lines falling towards the center.

The 12-24 also has distortions. It's just not as obvious because it isn't as wide, but you can see a slight curvature with all verticals near the corners.

The 12-24 also has distortions. It's just not as obvious because it isn't as wide, but you can see a slight curvature with all verticals near the corners.

Aiya, Ultra wide bound to have distortion one.. its physics! =)

Eh, i think no 1 mention that the Sigma have HSM....

Eh, i think no 1 mention that the Sigma have HSM....
thats becos it is not important for a ultra wide... the focusing is very fast even on non-USM/HSM/SWM lenses at those focal length

thats becos it is not important for a ultra wide... the focusing is very fast even on non-USM/HSM/SWM lenses at those focal length

oic...but its important for Nikon D40 users

Status
Not open for further replies.