Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

vengafever

Jan 10, 2010
Hi all nikon users. I'm currently using a nikon d5000. I've heard lots and lots of rave reviews of this tokina lens and i wan a gd wide angle lens w/o burning my pocket (nikkor lens r abit over the budget). the only prob is the tokina lens do not come wif AF on my dslr. Any users know if Tokina is coming up with the same lens with in-built AF motor?

Recommendations for wide angle lens?

Thanks...

Hi all nikon users. I'm currently using a nikon d5000. I've heard lots and lots of rave reviews of this tokina lens and i wan a gd wide angle lens w/o burning my pocket (nikkor lens r abit over the budget). the only prob is the tokina lens do not come wif AF on my dslr. Any users know if Tokina is coming up with the same lens with in-built AF motor?

Recommendations for wide angle lens?

Thanks...

y not try the tokina 12-24 F4 if you r looking for in-built motor?

Sorry TS, please let me hijack your thread for a while, I hope you'll be interested in my question as well.
I ran through the choices for wide angle lens for TOKINA and can I confirm the only choices are below three

1. AT-X 116 PRO DX (11-16mm, f 2.8)
2. AT-X 124 AF PRO DX (12-24mm, f 4)
3. AT-X 124 PRO DX II (12-24mm, f 4)

In which only #3 has built in motor, and as stated on its website it is compartible with Nikon D40 and D60.

The question for me is, is this lens suitable for Nikon D3000 and D5000 ?

** TS sorry ah, don't want to purposely open up another thread since my question is pretty relevant to yours in some ways **

Sorry TS, please let me hijack your thread for a while, I hope you'll be interested in my question as well.
I ran through the choices for wide angle lens for TOKINA and can I confirm the only choices are below three

1. AT-X 116 PRO DX (11-16mm, f 2.8)
2. AT-X 124 AF PRO DX (12-24mm, f 4)
3. AT-X 124 PRO DX II (12-24mm, f 4)

In which only #3 has built in motor, and as stated on its website it is compartible with Nikon D40 and D60.

The question for me is, is this lens suitable for Nikon D3000 and D5000 ?

** TS sorry ah, don't want to purposely open up another thread since my question is pretty relevant to yours in some ways **

yes it is

From my own experience, having AF on this lens is not critical. But it's just me and the way I shoot. YMMV.

I agree with OSOCAN that AF is not really necessary.
For my case, so happens Nikon D3000 does not have live view so if on manual focus I am depending indicator in viewfinder, which may not be very accurate, and using naked eye might prove difficult with my limited experience in photography :( So, yeah for me AF is a must for now.

Other than Tokina, you might want to consider the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 HSM (maybe able to get at a reasonable price on B&S) or the Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5 (more expensive), both will be able to AF on the D5000. :)

It's not so much LV or the focus confirmation indicator. It's the DOF. Unless critical focus is important to you or you shoot below f/5.6, the DOF will take care of almost everything from 3m to infinity.

PS. Just did a check with dofmaster, even at f/4, you can get an acceptable range of sharpness from 1.61m to infinity. :)

Last edited:
No need to think, tokina 11-16 f2.8 FTW! ;)

I agree with OSOCAN that AF is not really necessary.
For my case, so happens Nikon D3000 does not have live view so if on manual focus I am depending indicator in viewfinder, which may not be very accurate, and using naked eye might prove difficult with my limited experience in photography :( So, yeah for me AF is a must for now.

Tokina 11-16 is a good lens. If you know what you want for an ultra wide angle, this is one good lens.

I have this lens for my D90. Agree with many friends mentioning above, AF is not critical for UWA landscape - most of time focus is at far end, and with UWA, the DOF is large as well. I use this lens mostly with MF and almost fix the focus at somewhere close to infinite. BTW, the good thing of this lens is that there is distance indicator, so it is very easy to do MF if you have a good sense of distance.

Sorry to steal thread again :devil:
Thanks for sharing. I am thinking wide angle lens but using it for other stuff as well other than landscape shots.
Could be anything from off the streets to night shots.. so what are your takes on having MF for such lens?

To answer your question on MF, perhaps you can bring your camera with you to the shop and test out the lens on your camera. Set the aperture to f/8 and distance scale to 2m, dont focus and just aim and shoot. You can include both near and distant subjects. Go home and load your images onto your PC and check if you're ok with the sharpness.

The only thing that I dont like about this lens is its tendency to hotspot on IR.

mmmm...
tokina 11-16 @ F8 compared to sigma 10-20 @ F8? tokina sharper? i not tested on tt..
anyone know which one will be a better choice lens to take wide angle shot wif sharpness???
Thanks

I've used mine for a "class picture" type of portrait...so far so good...but if you really want to see some sample shots of this lens try doing a "tokina 11-16 shots" search from flickr...you can also do a search on other lens too.

Sorry to steal thread again :devil:
Thanks for sharing. I am thinking wide angle lens but using it for other stuff as well other than landscape shots.
Could be anything from off the streets to night shots.. so what are your takes on having MF for such lens?

Personally I wish that my Tokina is smaller... my goodness the lens is bigger than the 35/50mm primes and even my 60mm! :p

OT again!
Went to Sigma site and found this options which nobody mentioned.

4. Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM

It has built in HSM which is suitable for DSLR without motor.

Last edited: