To what extent is the EF50mm f/1.8 II good for Portrait photos?

Cheap, fragile, but good glass.

Here's a picture of my cat, Honey. Look at the eyes carefully.

Blue_eyes-borders.jpg

How's that for a portrait lens? This was shot indoor but with light from outside coming in through the front door.

Cheers!

Not at all. The adapter is a pure mechanical adapter, putting the lens optically exactly at the same position as any other Canon lens would be with native mount. No changes to the camera or lens required. Results are great. Beside this, the manual lenses come with precise focusing. Means: the distance from Minimum Focus Distance to Infinity is about 270 degrees. With AF lenses it's less than 90 degrees, sometimes barely 45.

I didn't know adapter doesn't change IQ, thanks for info. And also to the MF lens being more accurate w MF controls as compared to AF lens.

Because the Canon EOS mount has a short flange distance, it is able to mount many adapters without the use of any extra optical elements, resulting in no IQ loss. These adapters just allow the lenses to be physically mounted and extends the flange distance slightly to what is intended for the lens.

Here's an example, Canon EOS mount has a flange distance of 44mm. OM mount has a flange distance of 46mm, you are thus able to utilize a 2mm thick adapter to mount the OM lenses onto Canon EOS cameras.

I am perhaps not entirely accurate in my description of the issue above but I believe the essence of it is correct.

Thank you for the nice explanation. I got it now I think.

Not at all. The adapter is a pure mechanical adapter, putting the
lens optically exactly at the same position as any other Canon lens would be with native mount. No changes to the camera or lens required. Results are great. Beside this, the manual lenses come with precise focusing. Means: the distance from Minimum Focus Distance to Infinity is about 270 degrees. With AF lenses it's less than 90 degrees, sometimes barely 45.

Hmm can you explain what this means: 'the distance from Minimum Focus Distance to Infinity is about 270 degrees'?

Cheap, fragile, but good glass.

Here's a picture of my cat, Honey. Look at the eyes carefully.

Blue_eyes-borders.jpg

How's that for a portrait lens? This was shot indoor but with light from outside coming in through the front door.

Cheers!

Was this taken with a Canon 50mm f/1.8? Looks good.

Its stamped in the picture.
Its taken with a 50mm F1.8. :)

Yeah, I saw the specs. Wanted to know if it was Canon. Cos some people in this thread mentioned OM (Olympus) and Carl Zeiss. :)

I'm quite impressed by this lens for its quality as compared to its relatively cheap price.

50mm f1.8 canon lens is a good buy...i got it $125 from MS colour brand new (made in malaysia) but so far i got no complain from it.Besides portrait,u can have some good bokeh effect with it.

I don't think I've ever come across a lens that is Auto-focus only....
I'm intrigued to find out where you read that information from

You will come across lens got manual focus only (without AF)

IF have AF will come with MF.

You will come across lens got manual focus only (without AF)

IF have AF will come with MF.

I know. Perhaps you should have read the post I quoted, to know why I wrote that.

I don't think I've ever come across a lens that is Auto-focus only....
I'm intrigued to find out where you read that information from

Do you have MF with this lens? I just read somewhere that it is only AF.

Now, I'm confused. Is there MF with this lens? Since I only use MF mainly, I don't think I would buy a lens which is ONLY AF.

I understand you are explaining to TS about lens with MF will have AF.

I am adding on to you post to explain to TS there is only len come with MF w/o AF.

For a student with a low budget, 50mm f/1.8 would be ideal. I got mine secondhand from a fellow colleague who didn't really use a lot of it coz he got himself a pretty much better (and pricier) macro lens so i paid like $80 for it? One bad thing abt the lens is the noise while AF-ing though. Quite a noisy focus there! Lol! But since you do MF, should be ok. :)