Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by 007

this one

S$1350 (before 4% GST) .
after GST = S$ 1404/=
need to top up S$4 more.;)

hmmmm ...... anyone of uz here collect lenz az a hobby ..... ?? ....

:D

buy lah.. such a pretty watch....
but is ur collection samasama or all diff designs?

Originally posted by SMM
If you already have more than 20 watches (and I'm not talking about swatches or Baby G type of watches), would you still spend about $1,400 to buy this watch from Fortis? When polling, please imagine that watch collection is one of your favourite hobby. And sorry, I can only give two choices. :D

The make : Fortis
Collection: Flieger Chronograph Automatic
Movement: Chronograph Automatic 7750
Model No.: 622.10.11M
Case diameter: 35mm

http://www.fortis-watch.com/en/collection/frameset.html

well...my answer is its never enuff! but why did you choose this watch?

fortis watches are nice to look at...but up close...their quality is just soso.

look at the quality of the dial....its not even comparable to a seiko. the illum on the fortis is poor too....IMO....its comparable to a poljot.

for $1400...why not save up abit more and get a sinn or a B&R? they are definitely much nicer....

some links for you
http://www.bellross.com check out the geneva, high-tech & fusion series
http://www.sinn.de

Originally posted by togu
You already said it,

"please imagine that watch collection is one of your favourite hobby".

What's another one to your 20 watches collection? :devil:

Buy Buy Buy!
It's valentines anyway.

BUY BUY BUY! GOOD 4 THE ECONOMY!

Originally posted by fastwatch

well...my answer is its never enuff! but why did you choose this watch?

fortis watches are nice to look at...but up close...their quality is just soso.

look at the quality of the dial....its not even comparable to a seiko. the illum on the fortis is poor too....IMO....its comparable to a poljot.

for $1400...why not save up abit more and get a sinn or a B&R? they are definitely much nicer....

I think the picure on the website didn't justify the look of the watch. I've seen the real one up, close and personal; and the hr and sec. hands, dials are all very clear and illuminated.

Actually, I've always find the craftmanship of Fortis quite good. :) It was confirmed when last night my bf decided to swap his Fortis GMT's bracelet into Oris BC rubber strap. While we were playing with the Fortis bracelet we realised the precision of each link is so precised and well made (you may think this is nothing special, but I have seen $10,000 watch with very badly made bracelet) :)

I love Bell & Ross watches, they are very clear. Same as Breitling and Fortis. Although I wouldn't call Bell & Ross and Fortis watches, because their designed are more like an instrument to me; and that's the way I love them. :D BTW, the reason why I didn't consider Bell & Ross in this buying is because most of their watches are too big for me. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by lazyfiddler
Anyway, after reading your post, I went to wind up my Zenith again. Yea... It's a 'shiok' feeling.... :D Especially can also look at the mini mechanical gear through the sapphire crystal at the back of the watch! :bsmilie:

try puting the watch next to your ear and listen to the tickling sound......;)

Originally posted by FOOXX
juzt in caze u r having thoze 5 min fever abt buying that watch now .............. maybe u can wait for a period of time ........ n then see whether u still wanna buy it at that time or not loh ..... ( provided that watch iz not a limited edition ) .....

*fox wonder wat lenz can $1400 buy*

:D

Fooxx, Thanks for your advice. I think that's what I am planning to do. I am going to play "the fate game" with this watch. Meaning, wait for 2-3 more mths, see whether the watch is still there and reassess whether I still like the watch then. :cry:

Aiya, just go and buy la! Don't wait till then watch bought by someone,, then U'll regret.....

FOr me if the watch is Kirium for 1.5K sure I'll buy....:D

Originally posted by SMM

Fooxx, Thanks for your advice. I think that's what I am planning to do. I am going to play "the fate game" with this watch. Meaning, wait for 2-3 more mths, see whether the watch is still there and reassess whether I still like the watch then. :cry:

BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

:rbounce:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by SMM

I think the picure on the website didn't justify the look of the watch. I've seen the real one up, close and personal; and the hr and sec. hands, dials are all very clear and illuminated.............

actually....i've tried the watch before. both this model in 40mm and the newer spacematic chrono. i can't say that i'm impressed with it. the older flieger i've tried had tiny flakes on the dial, which i suspect to be tritium flaking off the indices. i asked for the spacematic, which seemed to be slightly better. so if you ask me, the spacematic would be a better choice.

they were my choices slightly more than a year back.

they have quite a good bracelet, but then, i can point out a few other brands which have better bracelets than them, yet cost much lesser.

the pros i can think of the model you want are:

1. its available in your size
2. it has anti-glare...and therefore makes it more legible
3. it has the proven 7750
4. good bracelet
5. not everyone wears a fortis (but then..only watch siao ppl take
note of them)

the cons are:

1. anti-glare coatings are prone to scratches, and once scratched,
they show up easily.
2. it uses tritium, which i think will weaken over time.
3. titanium----> they are tough and light, but they are more prone
to scratches
4. it's $1400
5. dial is complicated, and at 35mm, its worse. anti-glare just
makes it more legible, but not more readable. however, this is
peanuts compared to the breitling monbrilliant and B2 dials.

while i can't really think of an alternative auto chrono at 35mm(mabee hamilton chrono?http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/products/fenster_sport2.php3?watch=H71416533 )....mabee except for vintages..there are definitely watches of better quality at $1400....and at these times...its better to think thrice...since you already have a large collection.

the above are solely my opinions, and are not meant to put down the watch of your choice...but they are points that i have considered before i deicided to get another watch instead.

BUT then, a gal wearing and appreciating an auto chrono regardless of make gets a :thumbsup: from me

just ignore me and BUY that watch!:bsmilie:

Originally posted by fastwatch
they have quite a good bracelet, but then, i can point out a few other brands which have better bracelets than them, yet cost much lesser.

the pros i can think of the model you want are:

1. its available in your size
2. it has anti-glare...and therefore makes it more legible
3. it has the proven 7750
4. good bracelet
5. not everyone wears a fortis (but then..only watch siao ppl take
note of them)

the cons are:

1. anti-glare coatings are prone to scratches, and once scratched,
they show up easily.
2. it uses tritium, which i think will weaken over time.
3. titanium----> they are tough and light, but they are more prone
to scratches
4. it's $1400
5. dial is complicated, and at 35mm, its worse. anti-glare just
makes it more legible, but not more readable. however, this is
peanuts compared to the breitling monbrilliant and B2 dials.

while i can't really think of an alternative auto chrono at 35mm(mabee hamilton chrono?http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/products/fenster_sport2.php3?watch=H71416533 )....mabee except for vintages..there are definitely watches of better quality at $1400....and at these times...its better to think thrice...since you already have a large collection.

the above are solely my opinions, and are not meant to put down the watch of your choice...but they are points that i have considered before i deicided to get another watch instead.

BUT then, a gal wearing and appreciating an auto chrono regardless of make gets a :thumbsup: from me

just ignore me and BUY that watch!:bsmilie:

Thank you for your detailed analysis and :thumbsup:, those were exactly the points that I had thought about. It seems making the decision to buy the Fortis watch is getting harder as my first choice is to get a Kelek caliber 10000, stainless steel collection (they are one of the pioneers with world smallest automatic chronograph watches) or 2nd choice Kelek caliber 7752, also stainless steel collection. I've attached a link to their website and would really love to hear what you've got to say about it. (I know getting servicing from Kelek might be non-existence here in Singapore, however, I know of someone that carries this watch here).

http://www.kelekwatches.com/collections_body.html

Originally posted by lazyfiddler
I used to collect Rolex and was venturing into chronographs when I got me a Zenith. Decided to stop the hobby cos watch collecting can be real expensive and most of the time, the watches just idle in the cabinet. As most of my watches are mechanical automatic, they stopped ticking when the mechanical energy runs out in the spring. Very sian to adjust the date again. So no more watches for me.

"I used to collect girlfriends and was venturing into girls from exotic location when I got me a Wife. Decided to stop the hobby cos girlfriends collecting can be real expensive and most of the time, the girlfriends just idling the time away. As most of my girlfriends are mechanical automatic in their responses to me, they stopped ticking when the gift and attention showering energy runs out in me. Very sian to go on dates again. So no more girlfriends for me."

:D Just a silly joke.:D

Originally posted by Sin

"I used to collect girlfriends and was venturing into girls from exotic location when I got me a Wife. Decided to stop the hobby cos girlfriends collecting can be real expensive and most of the time, the girlfriends just idling the time away. As most of my girlfriends are mechanical automatic in their responses to me, they stopped ticking when the gift and attention showering energy runs out in me. Very sian to go on dates again. So no more girlfriends for me."

:D Just a silly joke.:D

lol wahhahaha :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by SMM

Thank you for your detailed analysis and :thumbsup:, those were exactly the points that I had thought about. It seems making the decision to buy the Fortis watch is getting harder as my first choice is to get a Kelek caliber 10000, stainless steel collection (they are one of the pioneers with world smallest automatic chronograph watches) or 2nd choice Kelek caliber 7752, also stainless steel collection. I've attached a link to their website and would really love to hear what you've got to say about it. (I know getting servicing from Kelek might be non-existence here in Singapore, however, I know of someone that carries this watch here).

http://www.kelekwatches.com/collections_body.html

the 10000 model(the one with leather strap) looks better, with a 3-6-9 subdial layout, but the 7752 is more practical, as it has a 2nd timezone.

at first glance, both have rather traditional designs, which makes it rather plain. simply said, i can't tell it's a kelek unless u put it right at my face. however, if you are a person who appreciates the movement as well, then you will like the "Kelek-engraved rotor with "Cotes de Geneve" decoration; engraved, gilt letters, Glucydur balance, polished screw heads" that is, if it has a display back in the 1st place. sidetracking abit, i think kelek is doing these deco for newer breitlings as well, so that speaks abit for its designs.

back to the watch. the crown looks nice, like a small onion crown, but not sure if it's practical. the really one thing that puts me off are the tear shape lugs on both models. they are overdesigned, oversized and overdone. an eyesore IMO.

again, i'm not sure why these are your choices..they are quite a difference from the fortis you chose.

if i were to choose one, my priority would be design over make, and these would be my choices for my gal:

DJR : http://www.collectorstime.com/DJRMTvChrBk.jpg
Ref: 25006 Mechanical Automatic Movement
Curved Rectangular Case with Sapphire Crystal
Matt Steel Case Size: 36.5x34.5mm T: 13mm
Chronograph with 3 Counters
Water Resistant To 5 atm
Black Dial Luminescent Arabic Numerals and Hands
Back Secured with Screws/ Individual Number
Black Thick Rubber Strap Steel Buckle

Sinn : http://www.collectorstime.com/SinFilUTC.jpg
Ref: 356 025 Mechanical Automatic Movement
Matted Steel Case Size: 38.5 T: 15.5mm
Acrylic Glass Screwed Down Crown
Luminous Arabic Numerals And Hands
2nd Time Zone Hand In Yellow
Date Window At 3 Position
Water Resistant To 10 atm
Screwed Down Solid Back
Black Leather Tang Buckle

small chronos are sure hard to find......:rolleyes:

Fastwatch,

Thank you for your invaluable views; and it sure had me put on my thinking hat for these 2 days.

“the 10000 model (the one with leather strap) looks better, with a 3-6-9 subdial layout, but the 7752 is more practical, as it has a 2nd timezone.”

I agree that the 10000 model does look good with leather strap. As for 7752, it is no longer in contention with the 10000 model and Fortis. Reason, I don’t like wearing watches with 2 time zones. Whenever I travel to countries in different time zones, looking at a 2 time zone watch makes me seriously jet lag. So whenever I travel, I will wear my digital casio watch which has pre-set world time of major cities and just by pressing a button, the time of that city (time zone) will stay there till I switch it back to “home time”. This way my biological clock will not be so confused (compared to knowing the time of two different time zones and trying to rationale that).

I'm not sure why these are your choices..they are quite a difference from the fortis you chose.”

Yes, I admit that my choices are very extreme. On one hand, I like the “plain” look (mind you, the 10000 is very slim/flat for an automatic chronograph) but complicated movement of the 10000. On the other, I like Fortis’ uniqueness.

can't tell it's a kelek unless u put it right at my face”

As for this point, I don’t think a lot of people know Kelek even if I put it right at their face. They probably will think it’s an imitation of Rolex but spelled wrongly. :bsmilie: (probably only those people who’ve tried very hard to search for a small automatic chronograph watch would ever notice them).

“Sinn : http://www.collectorstime.com/SinFilUTC.jpg
Ref: 356 025 Mechanical Automatic Movement
Matted Steel Case Size: 38.5 T: 15.5mm
Acrylic Glass Screwed Down Crown
Luminous Arabic Numerals And Hands
2nd Time Zone Hand In Yellow
Date Window At 3 Position
Water Resistant To 10 atm
Screwed Down Solid Back
Black Leather Tang Buckle”

This is a fantastic looking watch :thumbsup: ! (but it has 2 time zones:( ) If my hard disk (my memory) didn’t fail me, Sinn is a pretty new market entrant in the watch industry compared to Fortis. Who carries Sinn, was it Hour Glass (thought I saw it somewhere before)?

As for the other watch you’ve suggested, rectangular watch is not quite my style/taste and one thing for sure my wrist don’t look good with rectangular watches. You see, only people with broad & flat wrist look good with rectangular watch, as for me, I belong to the other category – narrow & thick wrist.

Conclusion:

I think I will probably go and try out the Sinn watch and if the price is right, who knows, I might even get it and not the Fortis or Kelek. But in the meantime, I think Fortis is probably a more practical choice for me. :)

Originally posted by SMM

This is a fantastic looking watch :thumbsup: ! (but it has 2 time zones:( ) If my hard disk (my memory) didn’t fail me, Sinn is a pretty new market entrant in the watch industry compared to Fortis. Who carries Sinn, was it Hour Glass (thought I saw it somewhere before)?

[/B]

i was looking at Sinn like 3yrs back...but none of the major watch retailers had the sense to bring them in.

they were going "Sinn? what Sinn?":rolleyes:

however...after Sincere brought in B&R i think..and then came Fortis(WOS?)...they finally looked at Sinn(not sure available where now).

some of the B&R chronographs are actually spinoffs of Sinn models...i believe, but not exactly sure, but they are related..something like brother & sister companies.

here's the watch that i think you are looking for, the Sinn 356 Flieger. A mini review for you :

http://www.watchmaster.co.uk/sinn356.htm

i don't think you would look at Fortis after this.:devil:

Originally posted by Dagger

any resale value?

[/B]

all watches have resale value. it just depends on whether you have the right kind of buyer.

eg. you may have a $x watch. but if you have a buyer who is hunting high and low for the same watch, but can't find one...your watch just goes up in value, depending on how desperate the buyer is. but of course, you have to know where to find this kind of buyer too.:bsmilie:

Originally posted by Dagger
are the buyers hard to come by?

at these times...most probably. but, if you have a piece of desirable watch for sale at a reasonable price, that is lesser than what dealers sell at, but higher than what it costs you, you might have immediate buyers.

if your watch is not so desirable, then it depends on skill and alot of luck to get it out. sometimes, you might just find a buyer who is sentimental about it, having lost his own, and will offer a more than resonable price to buy yours.

if you are buying watches purely for investment, i must say that it doesn't bring in much in the long run, and sometimes, it doesn't at all.

are you selling yours?:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.