To bring my DSLR to Japan or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bring!

I think carrying a small DSLR (as the 1000D is) and its kit lens shouldn't be too troublesome.
Just get one of those toploading bags like this
18-1913-IMG2_LRG.jpeg

and you should be good to go.

I carry Lowepro sling bag and tripod bag most places that I travel to. No problems with weight or size. Can slot maps, water bottle, lip balm etc into the camera bag.

Bring your DSLR ! thats the sole purpose of having it. Never fear just snap away ! ;p

Unless you intend to revisit Japan, you will regret not bringing your DSLR.

Anyway, which part of Japan will you be visiting? If it's only tokyo, than maybe just a P&S will do. For 2 weeks, I believe you will be covering quite a few places.

Hi there!

I also think that you should bring your DSLR.afterall Japan is a place where it is definitely safe to be at.We're talking about Japan here, the place where theres nice scenery, culture, people ^^

Also if you are worried about lugging too much equipment, just bring your body,2 lens at max(one wide one zoom) and that should pretty much suffice.

bring a rangefinder instead. small, light, unobstrusive.
pple won't even bother abt you, because you'll look like you're using your grandfather's camera. :)

you'll see lots of pple carrying rangefinders or other exotic cameras in tokyo.

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/

Last edited:
it really depends on your people skills and what you want to shoot.

in my experience, people in street shots are more open when using small PnS cameras or rangefinders. DSLR is more for if you need UWA or Super Tele.

Thanks all for the constructive comments and opinions!

I decided to bring my Canon 1000D to Japan after reading everyone's thoughts. Sadly, I do not have a toploading bag, wanted to borrow one from my friend but it's too late already. :(

Whatever it is, I do hope I get some good shots and dare to shoot in Japan! I often worry about taking people in case I get into trouble..

Thanks once again all, closing the thread soon. :)

I thought you are leaving next week only?

I have an old Lowepro Topload bag that can fit my D80 + 18-135 kit lens, so should be a roomy fit for your 1000D + 18-55 kit lens.
Can loan you if you like (as long as you don't abuse it). I work in Loyang area.

IMO, if you are worry about being snatched, then every place also got the possibilities.
As someone already mentioned, define your purpose of going there. If you really want hassle free, then don't bring. If yopu wish to have better quality image, by all means bring it. you will appreciate a light set up.

Do be hinder by fear.. just do it and enjoy the process...

and if you really lose it.. it might be a fond experience as well (think about getting a new 500D) .. haha.. any how, I am trying to say that there is no absolute right/wrong , or good/bad situations.. its how you classify them.. Major thing is , dont regret when you finallly plug up enough courage for a trip .. view the pics and only to realise why you have not done it earlier..

papaho said:
Do be hinder by fear.. just do it and enjoy the process...

and if you really lose it.. it might be a fond experience as well (think about getting a new 500D) .. haha.. any how, I am trying to say that there is no absolute right/wrong , or good/bad situations.. its how you classify them.. Major thing is , dont regret when you finallly plug up enough courage for a trip .. view the pics and only to realise why you have not done it earlier..

You mean "don't", right? The rest of your post seems to lean that way...

while i must agree that japan is a fantastic place to shoot, and you should not miss this opportunity... do take caution that some places are not so friendly to photographers.. i.e the red light districts and taking of some geishas... unless you want to test how hardy your cam body is.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Just keep your camera close to you just as you keep ur wallet close to you and you should be fine.. bring along a bag or just the camera whichever you find it comfortable to travel with..

Enjoy your trip there.. It would really be a miss if you didnt bring your DSLR there :)

To be honest, I believe it is safer to bring the DSLR than to bring a PNS. The article look more like a yankee first time travel to Asia and it is his own personal feeling and opinion to scare of catching attention.

To be hoestly with you, I was in Japan last year in Osaka and Tokyo. I was with my family, my wife and 3 kid. We were travelling in the train when my son has got some stomach problem and guess what. We got off the train without my lowepro bag! I only realized when my wife asked where my bag was, when we were taking our son towards the WC, the train was long gone. I had to go to the train master office, it was like a chicken and a duck trying to communicate, and the only thing I could do then was to file a lost and found. To cut the story short, I got the bag returned to me without anything lost the next day! The lost and found Office was speaking in some broken English, smiling, saying I could only get the stuff back in Japan... What was in side the back? A 1dsmk3, 70-200mmf4IS, 24-105mmf4, ex580II. And a Nikon 24mm PC lens with adaptor to fit Canon body(I only realized the lens with adaptor could only shoot at max apeture in Japan...)

The photographic opportunity in Japan, the lighting, the blue sky, You have to be there to see it and appreciate. You will regret if you don't bring your DSLR to Japan. Trust me.

Last edited:
Don't worry about snatch thieves or burglary. Japan is a safe place and as my japanese customer says, leave your wallet behind on the table in a cafe and come back the next day to find it in the exact same spot! lol .... just do not speak to the blacks on the streets as they are famous for cheating tourists.

hahaha. ts, bring ur dslr man! last year when i went to japan(tt time, i dont own an dlsr yet), i, being a careless person, 'lost' my pns camera at disneyland.... went to the lost and found counter, and got it back... relax... the people there are trustworthy...

The reason you bought your DSLR is to capture memories. So just bring it. To me, if you dun bring it might as well leave it in your cabinet and lock it. Singapore have thief and burglar too. I suggest a lowepro flipside series, I love it for travelling!

Short answer .. bring both and enjoy the trip. Do this by traveling as light as possible - one DSLR body, one lens and PNS. Carry them in a compact bag (like a Crumpler 5 mil).

Status
Not open for further replies.