Tips on giving a lens as a gift(wrapping)

captainlolz7

Apr 13, 2015
SG, Bukit Batok
So I am giving a lens to a fellow photographer, and plan on putting it in a box with bubble wrap and silica gel, then wrapping it and giving it to him, it will be un-opened until 24/25, Now I wanted to ask if the lens will be fine like this or would any issues arise? Like haze or Fungus? It will be in a cardboard box and is a older film lens. Your replies are appreciated.

Should be fine
Fungus won't grow overnight that fast within a few days :)

The more important concern is the handling of the present, and that include dropping it...

Only 3 days to Xmas, and fungus growing, must be an extremely virulent variety. The lens(es) will be out when you go on a week +++ holiday.

Last edited:
Should be fine
Fungus won't grow overnight that fast within a few days :)

Don't worry, it is only a few days, won't grow as fast as mushroom.

The more important concern is the handling of the present, and that include dropping it...

Only 3 days to Xmas, and fungus growing, must be an extremely virulent variety. The lens(es) will be out when you go on a week +++ holiday.

Thanks! Going to wrap in today, and thanks again for clearing my doubts!

As long as the delivery of lens from you to the receiver went well. Nothing else you should be worrying about.

Haze n fungus wont magically appear in just a few days...... ever thought how long most lenses/cameras in the shops have been sitting around before they goes off the shelves?

I think bubble wrap and styrofoam bits are good enough. I do that to move bottles and other fragile stuff. All ok. I wouldn't worry about humidity.

Important thing is to pack it tight. Meaning the stuff inside does not rattle around. Bubble wrap around the lens maybe an extra layer. Then pack the whole lens with foam peanuts like those you find at post office. Even the base of the box should have at least a layer of the foam peanuts.

Point is to prevent the contents from moving about when transporting the lens. That minimises damage to a great degree.

I used to sell on eBay long ago and that's what I did to ensure my stuff didn't get damaged in transit.

Pack tightly in bubble wrap and secure in a good box. I mailed a lens this way before go HKG by Fedex and it was all ok. Nothing much to worry about fungus, they don grow so fast.