Tips...heehee

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
hey all...im trying to compile tips n "good"settings for my holiday....
i dun wanna waste time trying to get the correct setting n ending up missing good shots..
any good old default settings u all can recommend..
eg"Remove filters when taking fireworks
Lowest ISO, F/8":dunno:

thanks!

or good indoor/outdoor settings eg, "F/3.5 1/800s for outdoor pportrait"...

How about learning your photography fundamentals so that you can derive your own settings no matter the situation?

ortega said:
there are no magic settingsthat will cover everything
well maybe the P mode
or, if you are really lazy...then the pre-set functions....if not..then its based on your skill....settings are set according to the conditions you are experiencing....there is no such thing as lowest ISO or apperture at f8...photography is about manipulating all these to get you a good picture....and it all boils down to your skill.
just my two cents worth...$$;)

go visit yr nearest library

seanlim said:
hey all...im trying to compile tips n "good"settings for my holiday....
i dun wanna waste time trying to get the correct setting n ending up missing good shots..
any good old default settings u all can recommend..
eg"Remove filters when taking fireworks
Lowest ISO, F/8":dunno:

thanks!
Errr ... read ur HWM Megaguide again? :dunno:

Better still ... bring it along on ur holiday :thumbsup:

When all else fails, as Ortega recommended, the P mode works most of the time :)

walau. how to give u tips? u mean u want sth like

when shooting buildings, use F11 on XXX lens.

when shooting sunset, use 3 sec shutter, F29

blah blah? :bigeyes:

Different settings will give you different results. A little time spent in adjusting ur settings before you shoot will reder different pix. Take a few shots of the same scene with different settings and choose the ones you like best when you upload into your pc.

If not, just shoot in RAW and do whatever you like afterwards. :p

lurgee said:
Different settings will give you different results. A little time spent in adjusting ur settings before you shoot will reder different pix. Take a few shots of the same scene with different settings and choose the ones you like best when you upload into your pc.

If not, just shoot in RAW and do whatever you like afterwards. :p

RAW format only gives one that little more allowance for adjustment (or mistakes in setting) it is not the magical format which allows one to do whatever one likes afterward

You get some, you miss some.....it's all part of the learning experience.:)

It's difficult to tell you what particular settings to use as travel photography is a composite of street, landscapes, archit, portraits, abstract, etc.....Hence different scenarios require different settings. Understanding the relationship between aperture and shutter speed would be a good start.

Sometimes it's good to miss some shots, esp when it's painful.
It makes you remember your mistakes.

eikin said:
RAW format only gives one that little more allowance for adjustment (or mistakes in setting) it is not the magical format which allows one to do whatever one likes afterward

Yup, that's what I meant. :)
Thanks for elaborating.

eikin said:

If the choice is between raw and JPEG compressed images, then raw IS the "magical format". JPEG is designed to store ready-to-view images; for anything that requires some amount of further processing, compressed JPEG is a very bad choice.

sammy888 said:
hahahahahahah...KENA again! ....
...yea kena again...

no...cus at curcial moments eg sunrise...i dont want becus i keep turning dial or wad than waste time..i will definitly practice....its like DUH...but bcus i gonna go on hod. soon...so i want to get some good numbers/settings....:sweat:

:sticktong i not trying to be lazy....i didnt buy a dslr to be lazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.