Tips for Shooting in Germany & Italy (while backpacking)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ping

Jan 18, 2002
Singapura
Visit site
Hi All,

Will be backpacking in Germany (mainly south) and Italy. Any tips for shooting?

Still figuring whether to..

1) Bring a tripod?
My backpack weight is a consideration, but I suspect light conditions in cathedrals, castles, etc will be not be too optimal (although I will bring the speedlite). Plus it might still be slightly rainy when I'm there, being early spring.

Also I'll just be bringing a small day pack (i mean really small) for day activities, so I can't figure out where I can best 'hang' my tripod... ;p

2) Which camera to bring?
I've got an old EOS88 and a G1 (my baby :kiss: ). Italy has a little problem with crime rate, so I'm kinda hesitant about bringing the G1 (especially if I bring the tripod.. I'm afraid it will be like shouting "Yo! Don't I look 'pro'?? I got an expensive camera! Come and get it!" :) ).

And I'm not sure whether I'll get a chance to charge the G1 battery nightly (given that I'll be bunking in hostels most of the time.. yes it's a 'low' budget trip).

BUT I really do dread the post-holiday processing with film; all the getting it developed, then organise, and then put nicely in album... :what: I get stoned out thinking about it.

So how... bring both?? ;p

Appreciate your thoughts and tips if you've made similar trips.

Cheers.

i suggest you don't bring your G1,

I have friends who got snatch thief, grabbing their camera and then demanding money to redeem them back.

I am sure you don't want that to happen on a wonderful trip

and they especially target asian, due to our smaller built and us being tourist.

Well, can your EOS 88 cover the functions of the G1? I wouldn't lug both, and would choose a film camera over the G1, since it's more versatile e.g. more lenses, etc etc. and I know I won't be limited by the camera.

I would definitely bring a tripod, especially if you're interested in cathedrals, churches, etc. The tripod can be left in the motel, taken out only when you need it. Some pre-planning of where you're going is definitely needed.

Italy can be a dangerous place, I've caught thieves red-handed picking my pockets before. Stay observant, use a non-branded camera bag and you should survive ok. You can buy insurance for your camera before you go.

Well, I don't have any additional lenses to bring along with the EOS88, so essentially both the EOS88 and G1 will have similar specs... except one is film and the other digital (obviously).

Such a headache... I'm more keen on bring the G1 (instant gratification), but I'm afraid of something happening to it... Losing the EOS88 will be ALOT less painful.

Decision, decisions... :confused:

i came across a situation where a group of children come to mi gf begging for money and 1 of them queity unzipping her bag behind her.. that's happens in crowded mrt station. however one good thing abt their mrt is that we do not have to pay for the ride :) this kind of things happens many times south of iltay, especially in rome or pompei

North of italy like milan, rivera, venice are better, coz people in the north are richer.

Try not to bring tripod. Bringing a tripod is telling the world you have a rather good camera and could invite unwanted attention..

Some of the places is not as safe as s'pore. So keep your eye open.

Enjoy your trip. :)

Originally posted by binbeto
Try not to bring tripod. Bringing a tripod is telling the world you have a rather good camera and could invite unwanted attention..

Some of the places is not as safe as s'pore. So keep your eye open.

Enjoy your trip. :)

get a Gitzo or Manfrotto tripod with stud at the legs....a wack at the head...who dare to take your camera away?

ok...back to topic....since u may not be able to charge your G1 , do u have a image tank to store your photo too? if not, just bring your EOS with some basic lenes will do

also, an old, no brand camera bag will be good to avoid pple attention....

Film wins today. The EOS will be going with me to Europe...

The G1 will have to stay in the drybox. (sniff).

Thanks to all who chipped in with their suggestions.

Originally posted by hong
i came across a situation where a group of children come to mi gf begging for money and 1 of them queity unzipping her bag behind her.. that's happens in crowded mrt station. however one good thing abt their mrt is that we do not have to pay for the ride :) this kind of things happens many times south of iltay, especially in rome or pompei

North of italy like milan, rivera, venice are better, coz people in the north are richer.

Ha, exact same thing happened to me :)
Little kid wanted some cash, comes up to my side to beg, while another kid creeps behind to wallet pocket.

Of course he didn't know it was a packet of tissue in there. The real stash was in the tour coach. (NOTE: Do NOT leave your wallet in the bus, put in a bag and grip it tightly -- I kinda forgot to bring the wallet out of the bus with me that time)

Stay alert.

Since you mentioned you are on low budget, I bet you are going to travel by trains, right? My advise, be careful then! There are thieves around the train stations, thieves inside the trains, thieves that look like normal passengers. Once I took a night train from Venice to Rome, while I was sleeping, someone opened my backpack and stole my cameras away. (Luckily I carried 2 cameras, and the thieves did not know there was another one deeper in my bag, anyway I lost all the photos from Venice;( )

i guess u must be on your way. (i second the film decision!)

but since i kaypoh i shall add on...

i've brought a nikon f401 in my backpack on my backpacking trips. no camera bag. just stuffed it on top of my clothes and put it in a big ziploc bag and wrapped it in a towel if possible. u don't want to be carrying around lenses and tripods and what not whilst backpacking - the camera is heavy enough. the idea is to see the places you go to right?

and in italy, carry your day pack in front of you. which is still no guarantee against crafty shopkeepers who give you too little change.

Suggest that you buy travel insurance. If any of your things/money get stolen, make a police report and claim it from the insurance company.

One thing about cathedrals in Europe. Either they :

1. No tripod, no flash allowed (dang!)
2. Tripod allowed, no flash.
3. Both allowed (rare)

About to setup tripod in St. Peter's Cathedral in Vatican City, Rome when the guards started gesticulating to me not to. ;p

Regards
CK

Just in case anyone start to think Italy is a bad place, it really is a great place and the people are actually nice too.

Those that steal and such are really a small minority that prowls around the crowded tourist attractions and main transport hubs in the major cities like Rome. Be on the alert when in those areas and dont appear vulnerable or overly protective, you're actually announcing your own weakness.

The other cities like Venice, Florence and Turin has been largely safe and friendly on both occasions I was there. The normal caution applies as in everywhere you travel to, but other than that, you should be OK as long as you stay alert. Dont go paranoid.

And the people are helpful as long as you're friendly. I remember that when I was pick pocketed in Rome, it was the locals who pointed that out to me before the gypsy had a chance to get away. I retrieved all possessions intact and the normal caution has got me through the rest of the way without incident.

So if you're going to Italy, just practice the normal caution and enjoy your trip. It really is a great place.

Status
Not open for further replies.