Tibetan self-immolates as photographers just continue shooting .....

These are monk and Buddism taught (I assum since they are Tibetan)....but I strongly believe that the teaching is against any kind of brutal killing let alone commit suicide to achieve whatever agenda that the person might have....correct me if I am wrong :dunno:

These are monk and Buddism taught (I assum since they are Tibetan)....but I strongly believe that the teaching is against any kind of brutal killing let alone commit suicide to achieve whatever agenda that the person might have....correct me if I am wrong :dunno:

actually most religions in the world subscribe to this.

Very sad indeed.
I wondered how many had already died using this form of protest ?

They are protesting for the freedom of their beloved country Tibet.
Futile but that's the best they think they could do for their country.

How many more will or have to die before China will free Tibet if at all ? !

Just imagine how painful it is when you burn your finger with a match. To burn one's entire body is indeed unimaginable and GREAT PAIN ! ! !
Sad indeed ..............

My opinion - China does not need Tibet and can afford to free and give her independence.

:cry::cry::cry:

When I am in dharamsala, the place where His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama reside, I saw a video, one western vip said "whoever control Tibet (Greater Tibet consisting of 3 provinces of U Tsang, Kham and Amdo, occupying about 1/3 of china), controls Asia."

Most of asia water comes from greater tibet.

The Dalai Lama has given up the hope for independence, He only wants true autonomy which includes full cultural and religious freedom.

Very sad indeed.
My opinion - China does not need Tibet and can afford to free and give her independence.

:cry::cry::cry:

Pretty sure that's what Qing Dynasty thought when they ceded HK and Macau away.

If you're task to do the job..you have to do the job..anyway..how to save..dude is on fire man..
(at least i know im not trained to handle such situation and its not as easy as it is..might end up burning myself too.) Furthermore, they might not want to be saved anyway..

The landscape of Tibet make it easy to defend if you have a large army but difficult for enemy to attack. It is a good location to use for invading China. The Mongolians have use it successfully in the past.

Tibet have many natural resources beside water. If China don't control Tibet. Russia or India will try to take control.

It is due to this reason why China need to control Tibet. The Manchu during Qing dynasty also see the importance of Tibet and have been controlling Tibet.
Tibet only temporary get their freedom when Qing dynasty collapse.
The Tibetans fail to create a proper army to defend themselves. This gave communist China under Mao, another opportunity to invade and take control again.

Tibet has always been associated with china since long time ago, Tang has princess married to one of the county's chief and some other paid tribute to the empire, so for those who doubt that, better check the history, moreover geographically, the mountains are the natural barrier so it was considered the west most part of main land, anything beyond that the empire boh hew, not that they cant, Yuan Dynasty ever expended to as far as Europe.

If hypocrites think Tibet should get away from PRC, then its a kin of Hawaii and Sabah and Sarawak should also get away from their central government too.

europe, the americas and many other continents share the same land-mass. sometimes not even separated by mountains.

by your logic, those nations should cease to exist too as sovereign states and should merge together.

If I can find some form of blanket or water the instance I saw the burning human torchlight, I will try to stop and save him. However, having said that, our human instinct will let us judge for ourselves if its worth doing so. Bearing in mind for that split second, having no knowledge of whats going to happen or even knowing upfront if something like that may happen, ONE BIG QUESTION, are we going to risk safety aspects if we try to do something, knowing for a fact that we may get hurt ourselves. Sounds Very Contradicatary, but its up to individual opinion to try or not to do something. My two cents worth.

If I can find some form of blanket or water the instance I saw the burning human torchlight, I will try to stop and save him. However, having said that, our human instinct will let us judge for ourselves if its worth doing so. Bearing in mind for that split second, having no knowledge of whats going to happen or even knowing upfront if something like that may happen, ONE BIG QUESTION, are we going to risk safety aspects if we try to do something, knowing for a fact that we may get hurt ourselves. Sounds Very Contradicatary, but its up to individual opinion to try or not to do something. My two cents worth.
Easier said than done. Even if you have a fire extinguisher on hand, you may not be able to chase him. Not only him, there will be a group of his supporters who will take care of you. Usually these people don't do such thing alone. They have to score a point with whatever mean possible, just like terrorist. Right or wrong, doing it correctly or wrongly, it is not for us to judge as they are in a different state of mind and political, religious, etc environment.
Usually the only time you can save them is when they are already 95% + burnt and drop "dead", and by then they have already made that point. They have already made up their mind the moment they light themselves up.

Sad, but nothing much we outsiders can help.

Sorry to say but the monk immolating image has poor compo...

If you are there on an assignment, I think you can do nothing but shoot. If you are emotionally affected, you won't be able to finish your assignment properly. If the man's objective is to let the world know something, the task of the photojournalist is to effectively convey his message to the world.

and that's the very thing... for a devout Buddhist to knowingly and willfully set himself or herself alight, to kill oneself, to give up one's chance of enlightenment in this lifetime as a human, which according to Buddhist beliefs is a great honour their being born as humans who have the privilege of attaining enlightenment, to return to the cycle of birth and death and rebirth, that is a great sacrifice and shows commitment to a certain belief... the whole point is that it is a very hard choice that was made...

as for whether to help, ultimately it depends on whether one is even able to help... the person may have decided to kill himself or herself, but I for one would do what I can... and if that person is true to his or her beliefs, he or she would understand why I am doing this, even if I'm not their coreligionist... but if I failed to help that person, we have to know that that is the path the person chose...

Last edited:
You mean you have to the time to meter, compose then press the shutter? :D

Get the shot first, then get another shot with better compo later on.

If dont have time, try to find the time. If still no time, then hard luck.