Tibet

victor

Jan 22, 2002
photozone
Visit site
hi all,

thinking of backpacking to tibet in late May but unsure abt whether is it easy to book for a tour package at chengdu. managed to contact a few back packing hostels and they do have tours but am unsure of their reliability. anyone has got good reccomendations ?

also, to save costs, i need to join an existing tour group but I cannot know whether is there any tour group going tibet until I arrive at the chengdu hostel . what if I cannot find an existing tour grp then ? may end up going as a one man tour grp, which will blow my budget sky high !:) anyone wanna travel together ? thinking of going for an 8 days tour that cover Llhasa and Everest base camp sometime around 23 May. Sms me at 9790 8152 if u are keen..

Last edited:
Did the trip in Sep 2006, using Chengdu as a gate way, Fly in, out by train (48hrs).
Tibet

Stay @ Sim's Cozy, run by a husband (SG) & wife (JP) team. :thumbsup:
SIM's Cozy

Go with an open mind & be flexible. Wishing you a pleasant trip. 扎西德勒!!

Last edited:
Did the trip in Sep 2006, using Chengdu as a gate way, Fly in, out by train (48hrs).
Tibet

SIM's Cozy

just curious, was it difficult to get tibet permit? please share with us your experience.

kit

Tibet

SIM's Cozy

hi,

thks for your info. I did contact Sim' cozy but they dun really reply to emails that diligently I am afraid.

So did u just go there and find your travel buddies at the hostel ?

just curious, was it difficult to get tibet permit? please share with us your experience.

kit

I don't think it is difficult to obtain the permit but try to avoid the sensitive period in March. Since 2008 riots, it is very common for the Chinese authority to impose travel ban on foreigner entering to Tibet before the anniversary.

Sim's web site had kept a time line of such restriction in Tibet and outline the application process, do give it a read.

Tibet News

Tibet Permit

Don't worry, just pack & go, be free, you will never know what you will see and whom you will meet. Be open minded & be flexible. Have a pleasant holiday & may every shot is a beautiful moment.

hi,

thks for your info. I did contact Sim' cozy but they dun really reply to emails that diligently I am afraid.

So did u just go there and find your travel buddies at the hostel ?

Did you write to them in recent time? This is the start of the peak season in Chengdu for all the hostels, so it may take a while for them to come back to you. If they don't reply within 48hrs, then I would suggest you give them a call 86-28-8197-9337. The front desk staff can speaks English.

Alternatively, if you just simply wants to confirm your accommodation. You can make a booking on hostel world.

Sims @ HostelWorld

Well to tell you the truth, I did not go there to look for travel buddies, as a matter of fact, it was more of a lone ranger trip, I had only 2 weeks with a return ticket to Singapore. Just some places I wished to visit in the given time but very flexible.

I only booked a 2 night stays in Sims (the old place) and planned out the rest when I reached there.

Travel companion is a hit & miss thing, it is more of fate & luck, so don't bet on it.

Pack up & go, see what you eat, eat what you see. Happy Holiday.