this laptop seems to be suitable for photographers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was thinking of GIMP.

hmm... yeah. dat is an option. hehe... lemme experiment at home installing PSE5 onto my CF card. ;p

I tink the LCD output will drive a lot of photog nuts.

haha... for me, it's enuf to get-by for some quick editing. lets see whether the upcoming pc fair at expo got this laptop for sale. ;)

interesting device. but i wonder how can we install simple programs like PSE into it? i doubt a full-blown CS3 can fit into the flash-drive... :sweat:

if can at least put PSE 5 or 6 into it, IMO we have a winner here. ;p

It's got a SD card slot. I was thinking that because all my SLRs are CF (yeah, THAT brand ;) ), I could put a 8GB SD in the slot and use it as a 'hard disk'. Alternatively if you need the SD reader, a 8GB USB memory stick could work, too.

hehe... fyi for those who might be interested. i just got GIMP installed onto a normal speed sandisk 1GB card and ran it successful from the card itself. it's a little slow in the read/write, probably becos of the card speed.

looks like it is possible for this asus laptop to do simple editing after all. ;p

does it have a usb port? maybe can plug in 2.5inch portable HDD.

hehe... fyi for those who might be interested. i just got GIMP installed onto a normal speed sandisk 1GB card and ran it successful from the card itself. it's a little slow in the read/write, probably becos of the card speed.

looks like it is possible for this asus laptop to do simple editing after all. ;p

:thumbsup:

does it have a usb port? maybe can plug in 2.5inch portable HDD.

Yes, three USB ports. Take a short USB cable and tape a 2.5" HD under it for memory card storage.. :) If it can boot from USB, even better.

I've been getting USB 2.0 transfer rates (real data rates, not theoretical) of ~22MBytes/sec from a fast hard disk and a good USB box with high end chipset attached to my desktop computer. That's actually pretty decent HD performance for a light duty system, so this little laptop may be quite useful in the end..

The only downside to a USB HD is that it will hurt battery life. Hard disks and things with moving disks/heads tend to suck up more power than the Solid State Disk (SSD) that comes with the laptop. Oh well, can't have it all :dunno:

The only downside to a USB HD is that it will hurt battery life. Hard disks and things with moving disks/heads tend to suck up more power than the Solid State Disk (SSD) that comes with the laptop. Oh well, can't have it all :dunno:

most mobile warriors will plug in to ac whenever possible. i think one will cultivate that habit/practice when the time comes.

that's cool. i wonder will it be able to run on window mobile 6??????:embrass:

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

am asking for the (im)possibles.

that's cool. i wonder will it be able to run on window mobile 6??????:embrass:

am asking for the (im)possibles.

hehe... not much of a WM fan. am still waiting for the next gen iphone to hit our shores. but, if this asus laptop proves its worth, it might be a better bang-for-buck for me. ;)

next experiment later today will be to install PSE onto the SD card. ;p

think i must be the only fella here jumping up and down abt this... ;p

just got news - the Eee PC should be made available in SG early dec. i guess probably in time for sitex. :)

Not only U.. Me eyeing too.. Have to depend on price..

some folks posted on other forums, probably ard $500-600 bah?

i'll most probably get it from HN, best denki or courts for their installment plan. need to figure out how to reload it with winXP cos it comes in Linux. :think:

Using the Kohjinsha now. They have 2 versions, 40GB and 100GB, 500MHZ, 512MB RAM, built-in SD and CF readers, 2 usb ports, BT and wifi, touchscreen. Only things are touchscreen not very accurate, keyboard not good and a bit slow.

I just ordered one of those. i like it because of the build in CF reader and big harddisk space. plus i can do simple photoshop and surf the net and check email. i think it is good for carry around especially overseas trip. no need to bring external hdd, no need to bring additional card reader.

i'm lazy. dont want to carry too many things when i'm out. carrying one of these (1.1kg inc extended battery) is good enough for a whole day out i think. plus the small size is good enough to squeeze into my bag. i can shoot, download, process, then copy or email friends immediately while sitting in the mcdonalds near to the event place. (dreaming)

all these is what i hope it will be. i havent receive mine yet though.

some folks posted on other forums, probably ard $500-600 bah?

i'll most probably get it from HN, best denki or courts for their installment plan. need to figure out how to reload it with winXP cos it comes in Linux. :think:

Not sure if it will be in Sing any time soon. This baby was only US$199 when announced.. Now balloon to US$400. :p

Loading it with Xp shouldn't be too difficult. Cna use USB cd rom or USB-IDE connection (but you need power for your IDE).

The difficult part is to slim down the XP on the laptop as it came with very limited capacity SSD (4gb being the cheapest.)

Not sure if it will be in Sing any time soon. This baby was only US$199 when announced.. Now balloon to US$400. :p

Loading it with Xp shouldn't be too difficult. Cna use USB cd rom or USB-IDE connection (but you need power for your IDE).

The difficult part is to slim down the XP on the laptop as it came with very limited capacity SSD (4gb being the cheapest.)

there's some news dat asus might ship the XP version in SG. just hope micro$oft dun force asus to jack up the price. :(

woot u are fast! haha
seems interesting..
if it runs linux
imagine shooting pics and transfer wirelessly to this baby with attached HD and quietly it resizes the pics with a imagemagick script then output to screen as a slideshow with music?

use xplite, and turn off paging

anyway base XP install is 1GB only, i even managed to run XP on a 2gb hdd

4GB seems to be a bit small, I wonder if they are going to bring in the 8GB one soon. I heard that Microsoft is working with them to bundled XP into the OS base options.

Status
Not open for further replies.