This is what they mean by micro-contrast?

Don't intend to sound condescending but from looking at TS's signature, it is highly probable the he has just started owning his own DSLR and lens.

At this stage of entering photography, I believe the general consensus is that TS should be concentrating on making the best of what he has before delving into picking apart the differences between lens. Seeing that he got overly excited from a non-objective conjecture spoke volumes too.

If TS is indeed going to print A3 and stuff, naturally he should be looking at better tools like what you have pointed out. Just a question of whether that is the case at the moment.
i'm doing just that
and no i don't intend to print A3 or larger
was just curious over the science of the lenses and wondering why industry leaders are industry leaders

frankly, i feel that my current setup is enough for me
just that occasionally i get irritated with the front-rotating element and the ranged aperture
my gear is currently enough for me as a hobbyist, what i am lacking now is a tripod

but i figured why not to know more about lenses?
:dunno:
and hence the thread
thanks for all the replies frankly

i'm doing just that
and no i don't intend to print A3 or larger
was just curious over the science of the lenses and wondering why industry leaders are industry leaders

frankly, i feel that my current setup is enough for me
just that occasionally i get irritated with the front-rotating element and the ranged aperture
my gear is currently enough for me as a hobbyist, what i am lacking now is a tripod

but i figured why not to know more about lenses?
:dunno:
and hence the thread
thanks for all the replies frankly

We're all still learning, just like you.
I'm sorry if I got the wrong idea that you're on the brink of becoming a gear-head (I think I'm closer to that though...)

Anyways, if it weren't for this thread, your research on lenses might have been less fruitful so it's great that it helped you.
Similarly, it'll be a good idea to start a thread when you're looking for a tripod too.

IMO though, there are quite a number of "industry leaders" that make SLR lenses.
When you consider Zeiss, you could look at Voigtlander too which I feel is a lot more value for money and some equivalent focal length lenses between the two brands are comparable in terms of IQ. Besides, they are produced in the same Japanese factory.

We're all still learning, just like you.
I'm sorry if I got the wrong idea that you're on the brink of becoming a gear-head (I think I'm closer to that though...)

Anyways, if it weren't for this thread, your research on lenses might have been less fruitful so it's great that it helped you.
Similarly, it'll be a good idea to start a thread when you're looking for a tripod too.

IMO though, there are quite a number of "industry leaders" that make SLR lenses.
When you consider Zeiss, you could look at Voigtlander too which I feel is a lot more value for money and some equivalent focal length lenses between the two brands are comparable in terms of IQ. Besides, they are produced in the same Japanese factory.

it'll be a good 6 months or so before i have enough for my tripod
i'm a student, saving is how i manage to get my gear, after i got the sum, i will also allow myself to wait for at least 3 weeks , to cool off, and be sure that what i'm gonna buy will be useful to me....

it'll be a good 6 months or so before i have enough for my tripod
i'm a student, saving is how i manage to get my gear, after i got the sum, i will also allow myself to wait for at least 3 weeks , to cool off, and be sure that what i'm gonna buy will be useful to me....

actually, i used to advise people that..

then i ended up with loads of people around me who supposedly thought for more than 3 weeks, some even 3 months.. then they ended up playing with a dslr for 2 weeks, and then i saw them never bringing out the dslr again.

should have got them to buy pentax, then can buy cheap from them. :bsmilie:

i think perhaps other than just waiting, it is also good that self-restraint is practised when it comes to looking at gear. like it or not, everyone derives some form of happiness from new purchases. as much as i go around preaching the opposite, it is true that consumerism is bliss. i think what's important is that you ask yourself , for the amount of money spent, is it going to be used often? will it be utilised enough? this is especially important for people on a tight budget. ;)

remember, quality everywhere always, always comes at an exponential cost. there is nothing wrong in spending on quality, even intangible feelings like being happy using a well-built lens.. but one must make sure that one is clear what one expects out of the purchase, right?

do enjoy the hobby, and cheers. :thumbsup: