This cant be !

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisalee

Feb 16, 2005
Planet Earth
www.flickriver.com
Hi CSers,

Bad news... I dropped my D50 with the 85 1.8 on it... Good thing is D50 is fine but the 85 got a dent on its hood mount ring... now I can not mount its hood as well as the front lens cap :rolleyes:

The lens still focuses perfectly and works without any problems :sweat:

Is it possible to get the lens mount fixed, I thought of using my "Hammer" to "undo" the dent :think: but decided against it :bsmilie:

Need help guys, any body has any idea if the Nikon service can fix it, or what are my choices ?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Congratulations... you can go NSC liao :thumbsup:

Guys,

Can I have their contact number? I believe they have moved to a new location, I have their old number though! :dunno:

faisalee said:
Hi CSers,

Bad news... I dropped my D50 with the 85 1.8 on it... Good thing is D50 is fine but the 85 got a dent on its hood mount ring... now I can not mount its hood as well as the front lens cap :rolleyes:

The lens still focuses perfectly and works without any problems :sweat:

Is it possible to get the lens mount fixed, I thought of using my "Hammer" to "undo" the dent :think: but decided against it :bsmilie:

Need help guys, any body has any idea if the Nikon service can fix it, or what are my choices ?

Thanks & Best Regards,
You didn't use a filter on your lens? If you had, it would have been the filter taking knock rather than the lens and you could have just replaced the filter.

Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd
Office & Service Centre

No. 80 Anson Road, Fuji Xerox Towers, #10-01/02
Singapore 079907
Showroom
No. 80 Anson Road, Fuji Xerox Towers, #01-02, Singapore 079907

Phone:
Sales Hotline : (65) 6559 3630,
Service Hotline : (65) 6559 6363
Fax:
Sales Fax : (65) 6559 3671
Service Fax : 6559 3669
bullet_small.gif
http://www.nikon.com.sg

Since the lens works as it should after the drop, it might not be worth it to send for repair. I'd figure that NSC won't do any knocking/beating on the hood mount ring, but might replace the part entirely. Not sure about the cost... :dunno:

But not being able to put back the lens cover is a problem too! :nono:

lsisaxon said:
You didn't use a filter on your lens? If you had, it would have been the filter taking knock rather than the lens and you could have just replaced the filter.

:cry: Yeah you are right... I just took off the filter as it was of a "warmer tone", this stupid lady bumped my shoulder knocking off the camera :eek: and it fell face first on the hard floor at Wisma Atria :complain:

Any ways... Now I am going to get a normal UV filter for it, provided if I manage to get it fixed :dunno:

huggable said:
Since the lens works as it should after the drop, it might not be worth it to send for repair. I'd figure that NSC won't do any knocking/beating on the hood mount ring, but might replace the part entirely. Not sure about the cost... :dunno:

But not being able to put back the lens cover is a problem too! :nono:
Very much true :rolleyes: I cannot leave that big glass naked :nono:

blive said:
Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd
Office & Service Centre

No. 80 Anson Road, Fuji Xerox Towers, #10-01/02
Singapore 079907
Showroom
No. 80 Anson Road, Fuji Xerox Towers, #01-02, Singapore 079907

Phone:
Sales Hotline : (65) 6559 3630,
Service Hotline : (65) 6559 6363
Fax:
Sales Fax : (65) 6559 3671
Service Fax : 6559 3669
bullet_small.gif
http://www.nikon.com.sg
Thanks alot :)

the last time on my fm 10 the same thing happen, i just use an old filter and screw in all the way and straighten the tracks again. not sure if yours is minor or major, seem to straighten mine as it's a minor knock. Good luck!

faisalee said:
:cry: Yeah you are right... I just took off the filter as it was of a "warmer tone", this stupid lady bumped my shoulder knocking off the camera :eek: and it fell face first on the hard floor at Wisma Atria :complain:

Any ways... Now I am going to get a normal UV filter for it, provided if I manage to get it fixed :dunno:

should have taken photo of the stupid lady and made her pay for damaging your camera....:think:

faisalee said:

Did you get her to pay?

Wah... I would be just thankful the lens still works! A great testimony for potential 85mm owners!

pianodancer said:
Wah... I would be just thankful the lens still works! A great testimony for potential 85mm owners!
Thus the importance of a good filter is known...

faisalee said:

Sigh.. You should have gotten the lady to pay for it!! Also, it is important to sling the camera over your neck with the strap also. Anyway, after you get it fixed, do get a proper UV filter for it, for warmer and cooler tones you can try playing with the white balance instead.

well, I find Nikon lenses to be quite well manufactured to withstand some heavy usage from photographers. I also dropped my 50mm/F1.8D lens from waist height (from the bag), and I watched in horror as it rolled away from me across the carpark floor! The lens still fine and working well.

blive said:
well, I find Nikon lenses to be quite well manufactured to withstand some heavy usage from photographers. I also dropped my 50mm/F1.8D lens from waist height (from the bag), and I watched in horror as it rolled away from me across the carpark floor! The lens still fine and working well.

wow! is it the ones made in china?:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.