thinking of getting a macpro

Status
Not open for further replies.
go for it. it's super fast. I bought one for my wife last Oct for her to surf net. :thumbsup:

macpro.jpg

Get her this so that she has to surf the net all day and leaves you alone:

9_843-apple-macintosh.jpg

I'm using a Mac Pro too, the quad 3.

The standard version of quad 2.66ghz is pretty darn fast already. The upgrade from 2.66 to 3ghz isn't really worth the money in my opinion.

Mac Pro uses server-type ram. Meaning, they are going to be expensive at around $500 for 2gb.

Graphics card shouldn't be a bottle neck if you're just using it for photos. Just use your iMac as a gauge. Actually, the iMac is pretty darn powerful already. What's the reason for upgrading to the Mac Pro?

Some useful websites for your reference:

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/MacPro/index.html

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/MacPro/memory.html

http://www.barefeats.com/quad09.html

soon might be about mid 08... penryn processor might not be available to consumers till then, altho manufacturing might be announced soon.
the "Penryn" series of processor, or rather Harpertown, which is the 45nm process workstation processor, has already been out for several months... at least for DIY and "other computer brands"... I think you are thinking about "Nehalem", which should be out in the second half of 08... who knows, Apple might wait for Nehalem before upgrading their MacPros... ;)

Isnt that a bit overkill to just surf the net??? :eek:
and isn't all this talk of maxing out the options, using fibre channel, SAS, etc, also not abit overkill for photoshop?... ;p

.................and people are complaining about price hikes.:confused:

Sidetrack a bit.

Actually, they are complaining about value, not the price.

E.g. A guy able to buy a Merc complaining about the price of parking in Singapore? It's not like he can't afford it. So why complain?

E.g. Just because one afford spend $10 to buy an orange doesn't means one must buy an orange for $10.

kind of curious, how much faster is the Mac pro compared to the macbook pro for photoshop?

Anyone with both?

Used both before n dun really tink there is much diff leh.

Thou both are good systems but feel that my CPU still better la.

If really necessary upgrade ur CPU with better graphics card, max the ram, buy external HDD. Then I tink on par with a MACpro liao la haha

I believe you can find a lot of speed comparison for Mac at the website below.
Have fun reading.

http://www.barefeats.com/

Anyway, fast has a different meaning to different users. 10 sec processing might be fast for someone slow for another person.

Never tempt yourself by experiencing the "fast". :bsmilie: Once you've done it... You will find your own system "slow" and want to upgrade...

kind of curious, how much faster is the Mac pro compared to the macbook pro for photoshop?

Anyone with both?

Parka posted a couple of good links above, one of which has the information you seek.

thanks, I read some of the links but what do the numbers mean? 300meg files, 6MP actions?

Sometimes, if one drives at 40km/hr, is there a difference between a sports car and a van? You can always push the test so stringent until you see a difference in speed for a macpro.

I am more curious about everyday normal usage for photo editing, normal file sizes, maybe 10meg resolution 16bit depth. how is the speed liek for the two systems.

Also for users of both system, at what tasks do you find that there is a real like adv of a macpro compared to a macbook pro?

Of course, you can always use the macpro for surfing... nobody will stop you lah.

i dont have a MP yet...but so far, when i look at pics on my MBP, i realised the screen is not 'viewable' from all angles.hard to describe...but i dont see this problem on my apple 23 and 30 inches display.

i guess the main advantage is the ability of MP to up the ram to err...16 or 32gb?
my mbp only has 4 gb.
and when i open too many pics on cs3, it hangs on me sometimes and i have to force quit it.

to me, proper editing should be done on a 'desktop'...while mbp allows me to view pics when i'm doing a shoot outside.it's really more for portability.

i dont have a MP yet...but so far, when i look at pics on my MBP, i realised the screen is not 'viewable' from all angles.hard to describe...but i dont see this problem on my apple 23 and 30 inches display.

i guess the main advantage is the ability of MP to up the ram to err...16 or 32gb?
my mbp only has 4 gb.
and when i open too many pics on cs3, it hangs on me sometimes and i have to force quit it.

to me, proper editing should be done on a 'desktop'...while mbp allows me to view pics when i'm doing a shoot outside.it's really more for portability.

Same here, I dun like to do processing on my mbp, I usually do on mac pro which got 16gb connect to 2x 30" ACD.

the extra RAM capacity on the Mac Pro may matter very little to you then, since at the moment (if i remember correctly) CS3 has a max RAM allocation of 3GB, despite the total amount of physical RAM you have.

this article that Parka posted earlier makes a reference to this limit: http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/MacPro/memory.html

my mbp only has 4 gb.

mm... I don't really know but I think the macbook pro should be able to display out onto an external LCD display like your 23 or 30".

Ok lah, if you find the macbook pro too slow, then of course the macpro is faster but don't you think syncing two system is a chore? If the macbook pro is fast enough I think it is so much simpler just hooking it up to your 30" display and a good keyboard/mouse at home.

the extra RAM capacity on the Mac Pro may matter very little to you then, since at the moment (if i remember correctly) CS3 has a max RAM allocation of 3GB, despite the total amount of physical RAM you have.

this article that Parka posted earlier makes a reference to this limit: http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/MacPro/memory.html

how about Aperture? can support more RAM?

thanks, I read some of the links but what do the numbers mean? 300meg files, 6MP actions?

Sometimes, if one drives at 40km/hr, is there a difference between a sports car and a van? You can always push the test so stringent until you see a difference in speed for a macpro.

I am more curious about everyday normal usage for photo editing, normal file sizes, maybe 10meg resolution 16bit depth. how is the speed liek for the two systems.

Also for users of both system, at what tasks do you find that there is a real like adv of a macpro compared to a macbook pro?

Of course, you can always use the macpro for surfing... nobody will stop you lah.

For everyday normal usage, it's blazingly fast. 10MP photos on 16 bits is nothing.

The Mac Pro uses standard desktop size harddisk, so certain things will be faster, like opening/saving files, opening applications. These need to be loaded from the harddisk.

After that whatever task you do depends on ram already. If you have lots of ram, you won't need to use the harddisk as a scratchdisk. That's speed improvement.

For stuff that needs some processing power, that's where the extra CPU comes in. Things like applying filters and blur. They need computer calculation. In my opinion, in this area, a dual core is enough.

Main advantage is the maximum possible ram at 32gb the Mac Pro can hold. And the maximum harddisk capacity at a possible 4000gb, with the harddisk running at 7200RPM, with possible raptor harddisk upgrades.

I just realised that Windows-based computers of similar specs are nowadays way cheaper than Macs. But then, sometimes you have the following idiotic things happening. Below is an actual screenshot I see occasionally even though I have enough ram

low_memory.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.