There's A-mount and here comes another E-mount...

tehzeh

Aug 7, 2009
Thomas More's Vision
Does anyone have any opinions towards this? ~(edited)

Last edited:
Does anyone have any opinions towards this? It seems like it's a marketing strategy.. I feel.

I don't think so. Seeing how other EVIL system also build separate lens series from their existing lenses, I think there maybe some design or technical issue to directly use A-mount lens on EVIL system. I suspect, it has something to do with the position of the sensor now.

Does anyone have any opinions towards this? It seems like it's a marketing strategy.. I feel.

Nope it's not. It's impossible to have an A-mount body that thin.

A-mount lenses has flange back distance (distance from lens mount to sensor) around 44mm. If you put the lens closer than that distance, you won't be able to focus to infinity.

So, in order to have slim camera body, the lenses have to be totally redesigned. Thats why they have e mount. :)

but it doesnt come with a slim lens design. disappointing. well cant blame them since its a APS-C sensor on the NEX-es

I don't think so. Seeing how other EVIL system also build separate lens series from their existing lenses, I think there maybe some design or technical issue to directly use A-mount lens on EVIL system. I suspect, it has something to do with the position of the sensor now.

Nope it's not. It's impossible to have an A-mount body that thin.

A-mount lenses has flange back distance (distance from lens mount to sensor) around 44mm. If you put the lens closer than that distance, you won't be able to focus to infinity.

So, in order to have slim camera body, the lenses have to be totally redesigned. Thats why they have e mount. :)

Oh... sorry for sounding so ignorant just now... thanks for the information! btw, what's EVIL?

Electronic-Viewfinder-Interchangeable-Lenses :)

I must say that the shortform of the phrase is really weird.

Haha... Since there is no more reflex mirror, is not proper to call this type of camera system as (DSLR) Digital-Single-Lens-Reflex. Naturally, new name has to be given to them.

:cool:

lol, i thought most people and sony call these cameras mirrorless cameras. lol.

Mirrorless Camera? why not call it MIRC? MIRror-less Camera. lol then people will confuse it with the chatting platform haha

During pma when sony first displayed the mockup of nex, they called this the "ultra compact interchangable lens camera"

UCILC sounds stupid.

EVIL is cool :)

it's a pity, nex not using electronic viewfinder
ZNEX3WFDASV1-S.JPG

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5VIEWFINDER.HTM

Does anyone have any opinions towards this? ~(edited)

The e-mount was needed because, other than the reduced flange distance, it is fully electronic. This means reduced noise from the lens during video taking.