The sub-$1500 entry level FF camera is less than 10 years away

I believe that the bigger players have already enjoyed economies of scale to such an extent that the RRP that we see on today's models are nowhere near the cost of producing them.

However, due to the limited number of companies who do participate in this market, there is almost a common understanding to keep prices within a certain range (almost like an unspoken cartel?) so that each player has room to benefit.

Will we see sub-1500 FF? Unlikely. Why? Because I do not believe that the companies will be give their FF cameras such a long product lifespan that it reaches that low a price. Perhaps we will see them somewhere between $2,500 to $3,000 and EOL before there's a chance of it going below.

how about the less than $1.5K everything-you-need-for-good-photography-and-impress-xmm kit? how long is it away?

by that time, if everyone have FF + good glass for so cheap, jialat liao, need to bring out the medium format and large format digital cameras. :bsmilie:

the higher end FF pro bodies will shoot at 30 fps still images at 100 MP at ISO 1 million++, comes with auto smile/wink/cry detection or something. i am sure there will be new features coming up.

And a brand new class of uber high resolving lenses.

ryan

The sub-1500 for second hand price of a good condition Canon 5D Classic is less than a year away. Prices are hovering at about S$1750 before / around the price drop of the 5D2 retail price. 10 years might be a long time... perhaps 5 years?

how about the less than $1.5K everything-you-need-for-good-photography-and-impress-xmm kit? how long is it away?
Haha..I thot sm youngsters are doing this already?:bsmilie: I'm particularly disturbed by the fact that secondary/JC students can afford to use DSLR. I worked like hell to buy my first fuji compact which I used for yrs....

Moving consumers into MF from FF will be a tough sell compared to moving them from crop to FF, for those with a sizable lens collection.
Yup...agree as this is also wat nikon/canon don't specialize in...but if they do render useless the lens we possess..we really got to stage a protest outside their offices man..:sweatsm:

the higher end FF pro bodies will shoot at 30 fps still images at 100 MP at ISO 1 million++, comes with auto smile/wink/cry detection or something. i am sure there will be new features coming up.

And a brand new class of uber high resolving lenses.

ryan

lol cannot la too hard to sort through images. Accidentally hold shutter too long GG liao.

Anyways I think auto-smile/wink/cry detection (and particularly Canon's auto-wink self-timer) is dumb. If you could use a self-timer, it means someone is holding the camera (so he/she can press the shutter, dammit) or it is on a tripod (but who the hell brings tripods to camwhore?) or it is resting on something (then use the normal self-timer?!). Unless it can somehow be an uber candid shooting machine that snaps itself to anyone laughing/crying/doing some stupid expression. But that would look silly. Imagine standing in the middle of Chinatown and being controlled by ur camera. Watch ur hands snap all around the place :D

Last edited:
The sub-1500 for second hand price of a good condition Canon 5D Classic is less than a year away. Prices are hovering at about S$1750 before / around the price drop of the 5D2 retail price. 10 years might be a long time... perhaps 5 years?

1ds mk1 FF body is going for $1700-2100 in 2nd hand market nowadays too

in the good old days of film...... a $10 disposable camera was also 36x24 ....... IMHO in time, the FF hang-up will wear off

Last edited:
in the good old days of film...... a $10 disposable camera was also 36x24 ....... IMHO in time, the FF hang-up will wear off

That reminds me, I do have a FF Canon SLR, and it's market value is $50 :bsmilie:

RebelG-1.jpg

Source: http://www.ingefot.com.ar/imagenes_productos/RebelG-1.jpg

Hmm...If I am the mkting head of Nikon/Canon or other dslr brands...I'll definitely nt have a sub-1500 FF camera. Even If I do, I will make it at the low end or even sub standard.. coz if the FF camera is gg to be sub 1500...then what price can I tag to the cropped frame dslr? 800? This will have large impact on the line of pdts...and affect my revenue... everyone feels tt as technology improve, parts are cheaper..then prices will definitely fall...I work in the electronics sector and I do think the parts are rather cheap nw if you are talking about consumer graded parts..but the price is still high for dslr...improvement in technology and price don't really have a straight forward relationship..it's more on the perception of price of the consumers I feel...Nevertheless, I think sub-1500 FF cam can realise if one of the dslr players take the plunge to produce one out to compete the market share..if not, the two giants on top don't really have the rational to do so...

*I pray I am wrong about this....becoz I do want a sub-1500 FF cam too:bsmilie:

It probably be suicidal to introduce a sub 1.5k FF camera when they have several new models of DSLR which on based on crop sensor. On top of that, releasing a sub 1.5k FF camera will definitely erode some customer away from the compact segment. Perhaps in time to come. I don't think folks are Canon/Nikon are going to do anything like that any time soon.

Is there a need to create another market segment based solely on price differentiation?

it doesn't really matter though, if you ask me.

cheap body, but still need expensive lens, in the end also vomit blood.

With the way technology evolve....It may come sooner than we can imagine.....my $ will be in another two years time.....mobile phone maker such as Apple, Sony, Nokia, HTC will anhilate most of the entry level pns......those surviving one will have to rely or pro up with high end specs, FF and those interchangable lenses are one of the possibilities that I can think of :lovegrin:

LOL !!! :)

when those 'brick' mobile phones came out years ago costing more than $1000 each..... nobody really imagined the $50 hp

When DVD players first came out costing $900+.... today can pick one up for $60+

when DSLRs first came out.... I still remember THEN one CS'er indignantly proclaining that DSLRs will NEVER sell for below $1000 in 2nd hand market

Last edited:
Tens years from now, one FF body and one lens = SGD 1500. Buy 2 lenses for SGD 2000, get body free. Remember the razor and blade story.

Tens years from now, one FF body and one lens = SGD 1500. Buy 2 lenses for SGD 2000, get body free. Remember the razor and blade story.

A brand new Sony A850 FF body cost only $2.6k street price as of now. A 2nd hand Minolta FF kit lens cost $50-60 only.

I think wait 1+ year more and it will drop to $1.5k (brand new) already.

No need to wait 10 yrs :bsmilie:

Last edited:
10 years ago, we had the D1. We've come that far in 10 years, I really don't see it being a difficult predo to make really :)

when DSLRs first came out.... I still remember THEN one CS'er indignantly proclaining that DSLRs will NEVER sell for below $1000 in 2nd hand market

lol..... same for handphones actually.

i remember back then a startac from motorola cost nearly $1.3K?

now something that can do the same things with color screen and some more too.. costs $50 downwards.

lol..... same for handphones actually.

i remember back then a startac from motorola cost nearly $1.3K?

now something that can do the same things with color screen and some more too.. costs $50 downwards.

I actually had an army friend tell me : "Nokia 8800 (it was the chrome silver one, might be wrong in model #) will never drop in price; it their most high end premium hp! " as he brandished it in front of everyone.
Yeah, right it becomes no price. :D

Only entry level of FF going for sub 1.5k but for f2.8 lens wont be going for that kind of price other than the 3rd party. Either the body decrease price and at the same time, price of the lens become pricer. Like the Sony 135mm STF lens could get it at 900+ street price but now was at 2k+... So when adding up the total, it almost the same. :bsmilie:

1ds mk1 FF body is going for $1700-2100 in 2nd hand market nowadays too

You can find 1Ds classics in excellent (cond 9 - 9.5) for less than SGD1.4 including GST and a very generous USD150 for insured shipping on the bay.

1Ds MkIIs go for really attractive prices after GST and shipping.

The problem with some of the older 1 series cams in excellent condition is that the shutter may actually malfunction from underuse! :bsmilie: