The Rocks

silverfyre

Jul 12, 2010
IMG_1433_4_5HDRI_tonemapped_W_BORDER_2.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, post processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
was trying to capture glorious sunrise @ bintan with bursting colors but the sky was too cloudy. I was forced to change my mindset to try to capture the serenity of the early morning instead.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
very cloudy early morning and calm sea.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
personally felt that the landmass with houses behind the rocks is cluttering the picture. But was not able to position the landmass out of the picture. I was considering to clone the landmass out but was not skilled enough to create a believable clone for such a large area....=P

firstly, the horizon is tilted.

i can't say that the composition works here, there is no sense of order in the picture. elements are abruptly cut off (rock on the right).

could you move to your right here?

normally i can't be bother about how horizontal the horizon is. Protractor needed?

But in this case, it is indeed a nightmare as your horizon is slanting and you cut off the rocks.
Look nice though. Very contradicting :)

Last edited:
normally i can't be bother about how horizontal the horizon is. Protractor needed?

But in this case, it is indeed a nightmare as your horizon is slanting and you cut off the rocks.
Look nice though. Very contradicting :)

Use a liquid bubble. :)

thx fot the feedbacks ..
agree that its bad to cut off the rock at the right but no option that time az another bro already setup there

will try to correct the slanting horizon

amy other c&c are still welcomed

I feel that giving equal weightage to the sky and sea does not work here. Rule of third applied vertically may work better.

I'm also not sure but I feel that you are trying to portray a sense of calmness, but the exposure not long enough to smoothen out especially the water. Did you have a tripod with you? Can set to smaller aperture (assume you are on base ISO already)

I never stick strictly to the thirds-rule. but in this case wildcat is right, applying the rule will work better