The Red-eyed Parent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore / Taiwan
www.myviewfinder.net
Aplonis panayensis, or more commonly known as the Asian Glossy Starling is a bird that is often mistaken as a small crow. Under closer examination, their seemingly black plumage actually sports an iridescent sheen that changes from black, green or sometimes, even purple under different lighting conditions. However, their single most striking feature would be their unmistakably fiery red-eyes.

A member of the Sturnidae family, the Asian Starlings share the same trait of being very sociable, as with most of the other birds in this family. They roost their young in such communities that sometimes can make up to two dozen birds. A nest typically contains three spotted blue eggs. Hardworking and devoted parents, Asian Starlings are observed to take care of their chicks by performing a daily routine of bringing back food (typically fruits) and cleaning up the nest till the chicks are able to take flight and fend for themselves.

Presenting thee, the red-eyed parent …

asian-starling-01.jpg

An adult Starling feeding its chicks

asian-starling-02.jpg

The unmistakable red-eyes

Special thanks goes to Mr Tan and chngpe01 for sharing their knowledge and know-how. :)

For your comments and viewing pleasure :)

keke... nice image of the parental TLC! ;)

the fruit fed to the young looks very much like their characteristic red eye too! ;p

Nice shots! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great shots, Avatar! Good write-up too. Love the 2nd pic, exposure is spot on.

Well done! :thumbsup:

Hey Chua,

1st shot is superb!!!!

Was it shot the next day or day after when we were there? We are trying to figure out when the first chick fledge.

Cheers

Vincent

Thank you renegade, Larren, s_wrx, Fred, SK, Phil, Garion and vincent for your kind input and comments. :)

Vincent: It was on the second morning, was pass by there so dropped by for a look. Hear the first chick fledged early on the immediate Sunday morning :)

Nice shots! the chicks have so well expressed looks! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you renegade, Larren, s_wrx, Fred, SK, Phil, Garion and vincent for your kind input and comments. :)

Vincent: It was on the second morning, was pass by there so dropped by for a look. Hear the first chick fledged early on the immediate Sunday morning :)

Avatar: Thanks for the info. The other two I believe have fledged on Monday. May be will go by there some of this days, who know they will nest in the same hole again. ;)

Vincent

very very outstanding shots avatar! it's flawless!!!

Thank you behyx, geoyip and jbma :)

Larren: I have been into this for quite a while. While I won't say it is an easy thing to do, it is not impossible to achieve either.

Fact is, we cannot expect the subject to stay still, this is one important aspect of nature photography. The best way is still to study and understand your subject, it will help a lot when you know their habitual behaviours. :)

What you need to do now, is to compile a nice capture and send in to PhotoI to publish as story. :thumbsup:

Thank you behyx, geoyip and jbma :)

Larren: I have been into this for quite a while. While I won't say it is an easy thing to do, it is not impossible to achieve either.

Fact is, we cannot expect the subject to stay still, this is one important aspect of nature photography. The best way is still to study and understand your subject, it will help a lot when you know their habitual behaviours. :)

oh ic... wa... thats sounds fun... learn the subject before u take action (Photos i mean)... hehe... :D

nice shots... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.