The power of Ice Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drudkh

Mar 2, 2004
lulu island
I came across this website (http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/icestorm.asp) and found this. So, I thought of sharing with you guys.

Origins: These pictures of cars, boats, trees, and other landscape features encrusted with ice from severe cold weather began circulating on the Internet in late January 2005, accompanied by viewer-added comments such as "Now this is what I'd call really cold...brrrrrrrrr"; "Sure glad that it doesn't get this cold here"; "So, How cold was it?"; and "Next time you're complaining while scraping the ice off your windscreen, think again!"

Various e-mailed versions of these photos claim such different origins for them as "From a recent Massachusetts storm with hurricane-speed winds" to "Pictures from Lake Geneva, Switzerland — January 2005." We believe the latter to be correct, as these images seem to correspond to similar photos on a web site which identifies them as pictures of Lake Léman (also known as Lake Geneva), Switzerland, taken on 26 January 2005. (Presumably the objects shown here have been coated with spray from waves breaking on the lake's shore, which then hardened into a solid coating in the sub-freezing temperatures.)

The translated title of the French-language page is "Wind and ice on Geneva," and the text notes that the pictures were taken on the shores of Lake Léman during winds gusting up to 110 km/h.

DSCN7750.jpg

DSCN7718.jpg

DSCN7773.jpg

This is so unbelievable. :bigeyes:

Hmm..... I see some vignetting in the last picture... :think:

The first photo demonstrates the power of nature, very dynamic. Although it can be better if da waves come up higher.... :D

I pity the car owner of the second pic...

Could well be true, although I don't think its caused by a single ice storm etc
those icicles prob took a couple of days of cold weather etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.