The PASS system

Dont listen to David Jay. POS will lead you into trouble and ruin the industry.

Hahah Jay has missed the fact the many clients now use laptops with a hdmi cable to a 39inch or larger TV, a snap of that screen with even a point and shoot and they can get more than a 4R or 8R or 10R for that matter. Probably why PASS may not be earning him the big bucks he hoped for. Then many clients now do not want to print when they can show on their large screen wall mounted TV's think of it as a real real large photo frame display.

Still his tone is very bad for the industry as a whole. Hobby shooter may think it is not my problem, well if professional photography ceased to be as an industry in a few short years so would most of the new techniques and technologies. Imagine now more nice blogs to learn things off. Few and few good teaching centers offering in person or online training. A slow down in cutting edge technologies - yeah camera producing companies rely on the hobby shooter to power the business but it relies on the professional market to by using the flagship top of line products to sexify them for the rich hobby shooter to buy. Without the pro's churning out quality samples of images from that range of equipment how can you incite buy buy ? Alone by itself - harder since there is now visual promise that by buying the 1D mark20 you can just tell the camera to shoot and it does everything else and you get an award winning photo. Yeah they could use hobby shooters as spokesmen, sample image providers but it does not have the same feel right ?

with the advancement of digital cameras, mobile phones, brooming of social medias, most people chose not to print hardcopy photos nowadays.

so if photographers still want to make profit from selling hardcopy prints, ones has to go highend, very highend, so there is very little competition in this arena,

another way is the make all the profit from your services, so if customers choice not to print any thing, photographers will still able cover their expenses and have enough profit to sustain.
but this option has a catch, how are you going to compete with thousands of photographers out there since everyone offering the same thing? the shoot and burn style.

since the trend is heading toward this way,
we can't change this trend, but just to ride the wave if we still want to survive,
and he (David Jay) sees it and want to adapt to it before everyone else.

for what I see here is his is providing a platform to have a edge with shoot and burn style photographers,
beside wedding couples can share their wedding photos, to be wed couples can also source for photographers here, making profits from offering prints is not their main objective. (at least you know the wedding couple are not get their photos printed at walmart)

so working in a collective way, it is far better then photographers working on alone.

DJ got rather bad rep in the wedding industry of the west. I would read what he wrote with a pinch of salt.

He came up with "The System" which is be a fantastic stylish PR person make it a fantastic user experience shoot like crazy, pray for something nice , post up slide shows fast like hours latter after the event and bam your now a star. But yhe sysyem was I think sold at a "reasonable price" maybe got installment plan so how can ecpensive hor. You need to learn how to shoot , wrong place to learn from. There was a lot if upset photographers who thought craft n acquired skill sets were important to being able to deliver a consistant standard of product. Dunno maybe in this marketplace it has come this. Most of his star students crashed n burnt when they hit situations where the going got tough and client was not buying bs when nothing good got shot.
But DJ is probably a nice guy you could have beer or a swap tall stories. Yeah thats dam straight

I'm trying to be more objective here,

basically there are two ways of selling wedding photography,

either selling hardcopy or shoot and burn

selling hardcopy is tough and it is not for everyone,

shoot and burn is much easier but photographers are giving away all the potential profits,

so photographers have to decide which method suit him/she most,

those photographers selling hardcopy always see shoot and burn style photographers as a threat, cos most of the time they are selling way too cheap,
and they took away a big chunk of market share. they make photography like commodity, customers don't see photography as art, or with emotional value attach to it.

the system DJ bought up is not asking to photographers already selling hardcopy very well to give up selling print, but offering to shoot and burn style photographers an alternative,
since the shoot and burn style will not go away, now at least this system will make a best out of it.

so you tell me, is there any other better option?
or just let the shoot and burn style run lose?

I'm trying to be more objective here,

basically there are two ways of selling wedding photography,

either selling hardcopy or shoot and burn

selling hardcopy is tough and it is not for everyone,

shoot and burn is much easier but photographers are giving away all the potential profits,

so photographers have to decide which method suit him/she most,

those photographers selling hardcopy always see shoot and burn style photographers as a threat, cos most of the time they are selling way too cheap,
and they took away a big chunk of market share. they make photography like commodity, customers don't see photography as art, or with emotional value attach to it.

the system DJ bought up is not asking to photographers already selling hardcopy very well to give up selling print, but offering to shoot and burn style photographers an alternative,
since the shoot and burn style will not go away, now at least this system will make a best out of it.

so you tell me, is there any other better option?
or just let the shoot and burn style run lose?

I can see how sad and sick the industry is and will be.

DJ offer a solution which don't have much of follower... Shoot and Burn people aint going to print and print people aint going to use it to degrade their charge. To me, just one man's work and there isn't a need to be so worked out.

Though the argument of choosing which side you want to be, we all know that which side we should be standing.

Regards,

Hart