The New Macbook Air 2011 or the MacBook Pro ( Comparing both 13" )

kultchris

Jan 28, 2004
Looking to get a new laptop and can't decide between the New Macbook Air 2011 or the MacBook Pro.

I'm looking at both the 13 inch models .

Im quite an IT idiot and am really having a hard time to decide.

Have done quite abit of research online but still seems pretty confused.

I need a laptop for the following purposes :
1. My Job ( which I will be carrying ard everyday )
2. Photos - Will be doing photo editing. might use lightroom and photoshop . not heavy editing though . Just for hobby.
3. Im intending to install windows on my macbook .

Would appreciate the advice of bros and sis here.

Thank You all in advance !

Cheers

I am using macbook (13-inch, Mid 2010) which is already discontinued and replaced by the new macbook air.

If i were you i will choose macbook pro. becoz i need the cd/dvd slot.

Buy macbook pro only if you need it. It is approaching the end of a cycle. New macbook pro is coming.

Personal opinion, I've seen many of my users (non IT trained) requesting for Macbook and to change to Windows in the end....(I've personally tried running windows on Macbook, almost made me smash the keyboard, prob the other way is the same too.)

My personal recommendation if you are going to use Windows in the end is to get a 64bit processor notebook running 64bit windows with >4gb of ram. If really need to, get install the mac on VM.

As a long time Mac user, I find the 13 inch MacBook Pro to not be so desirable, unless your main concern is having huge storage. I've been using a similar MacBook for a while and have found it adequate and a generally better value. However, you can find 1 TB HDD that are inexpensive, in contrast to SSD.

The MacBook Air has a higher resolution display (1440x900 vs. 1280x800) in the same 13.3 inches. Obviously, you can't switch this later. The SSD storage can be upgraded with some care, but I think it's not particularly easy to do since it was not intended for end users to change it. Of course, being able to afford it is another matter: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

i am also a long time mac user, since 1995.

IMO not advisable to install windows into mac. Why create two brains in a shell?

if you still want to use windows, then better get a windows laptop.

buy mac laptop only if you're willing to jump ship to mac os.

As what Rashkae pointed out, if its for normal usage, get a windows laptop.

Save the extra cash to get better specs.

If you want to use it for photo editing, my view is the the Macbook Pro's computing power would be more suited for this.

If you are going to install Windows then don't buy a Mac. If buying a Mac and suing a single computer then get the MBP. The MBA is meant for travel and not very intensive usage. I have "retired" my MBP after getting my top range iMac 27 inch and a MBA 11 inch with 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. Best of both world.

Thanks for all the kind advice and replies.

Actually installing windows is an optional choice. Im ok with or without. Will heed advice to not install windows.

I'm just concerned if the Air is a good choice for photo editing and also smth which I can carry ard

I know the pro has much better specs .. just that it is quite heavy.

I switched from the MBP 15 to Macbook Air 13 (core i7) because of the immense weight difference. It's really easy to travel with the MBA. I do culling, raw conversion and rough photoshop edits on the road (plane, hotel, airports) with the MBA - doesn't feel as snappy as the MBP but definitely good enough for photo editing. Oh, Macbook Air is also limited by the onboard 4GB RAM. That said, serious photo editing should really be done on desktops where screens are much more superior. I also use parallels just in case there are some apps that I need in Windows (most notably slideshow apps).