The new EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

If u are really worried about such details, I wld suggest not buying this lens, or wait till other people have bought it and wait for their comments. No point speculating and guessing here? If I am shooting an object 5-10 metres away, a shorter focal length zoom lens would already be sufficient. If you're into birding, I wld suggest a lens that is 400mm and above.

I suspect most users of this lens would be shooting at more distant subjects for which the focal length should be closer to 300 mm

Just wanna ask why do you keep saying that at mfd the focal length will be less then 200mm?

Both the 70-200 f4 and 70-300 have the same mfd of 1.2m and same magnification. If anythung, the worst case scenario would be 200mm focal length at mfd like the 70-200. Why would it be anything less?

I am saying it is <200mm because the current 70-200s are less than 200mm at mfd. I forgot where I read the values, but I remember it being something like 70-200F4L having effective focal length of around 170mm at mfd and 70-200 2.8L IS mark I being at 160mm+.

I understand that it is normal for any IF lens to have this effect, but some lens like the superzooms, sigma 150mm, nikon 70-200 VR II really do exhibit this behavoir more than others. Just suprised that the new 70-300L is affected so severely.

I am saying it is <200mm because the current 70-200s are less than 200mm at mfd. I forgot where I read the values, but I remember it being something like 70-200F4L having effective focal length of around 170mm at mfd and 70-200 2.8L IS mark I being at 160mm+.

I understand that it is normal for any IF lens to have this effect, but some lens like the superzooms, sigma 150mm, nikon 70-200 VR II really do exhibit this behavoir more than others. Just suprised that the new 70-300L is affected so severely.

This is a very "chim" topic. I don't understand at all :) Can I know why MFD at particular EFL is important for zoom lenses? Is it more desirable to have MFD consistent across the zoom range or it to be at the near or far end of the zoom?

I am assuming you are asking as you would like to use the zoom to get in close, sort of like a macro lens?

Last edited:
This is a very "chim" topic. I don't understand at all :) Can I know why MFD at particular EFL is important for zoom lenses? Is it more desirable to have MFD consistent across the zoom range or it to be at the near or far end of the zoom?

I am assuming you are asking as you would like to use the zoom to get in close, sort of like a macro lens?

No, not macro, not even close-up. I am asking for conditions like I mentioned earlier, say, you focus on something 5m away at 300mm marking on the lens, will you be at 200mm or 250mm efl, rather than 300mm? If you are at <250mm efl with the 70-300mm L, wouldn't it be more worthwhile to just use a 70-200mm f4l IS, which is lighter and at f4?

I was referring to the EFL at nearer focus distance/MFD condition, rather than MFD at particular EFL. Read my post again.

Optically the same. But DGX has better compatibility with newer lenses. See here. Won't make any difference when mated with the 70-300 f/4-5.6L 'cos AF is not possible on a non 1-series camera in the first place.
disagree, my 5D II & 550D (wost AF from canon line-up) can still AF at f/8...

Ha??? Cameras autofocus at the LARGEST aperture available for that lens even when the exposure is set to f/8, f/11, f/16 etc...

ONLY the 1-series cameras can AF with lenses + teleconverters whose largest aperture is f/8. All other cameras will only AF when the largest aperture is f/5.6 (some f/6.3 lenses work by cheating the camera).

Please read up on these basic things.

Last edited:
I think he is using third party extenders which do not report the 'effective' aperture to the camera body thus allowing AF to continue.

Tried this lens today at Canon's event. Good lens & light compared to 70-200. Do not mind carrying this one......won't hurt my shoulders.

Agreed. Will be a great travel lens. You've tried already? Any idea when will it be retailing in spore?

yes the 70-300 darn good gonna buy it instead of the 70-200 f.28 is next month....also tried it at canon event today

Agreed. Will be a great travel lens. You've tried already? Any idea when will it be retailing in spore?

was at the canon F1 event too and the guy there with the sample copy say stocks should be available in SG in dec.

Asked him how much he say around 2k...

fast lens. the build is solid.

Ha??? Cameras autofocus at the LARGEST aperture available for that lens even when the exposure is set to f/8, f/11, f/16 etc...

ONLY the 1-series cameras can AF with lenses + teleconverters whose largest aperture is f/8. All other cameras will only AF when the largest aperture is f/5.6 (some f/6.3 lenses work by cheating the camera).

Please read up on these basic things.
i dont care with those specs,:nono: as long as it works...

theory is one thing, actual is another...

i dont care with those specs,:nono: as long as it works...
theory is one thing, actual is another...

Huh? This is NOT theory. This is MANUFACTURER'S SPECS!!!

Obviously, you have a TC that does NOT report itself to the camera and I used to have one of those too!

Simple test: is the largest aperture of your lens the same WITH and WITHOUT the TC? If they are the same, it means your TC does not report to the camera, thus allowing you to AF at all times.

My goodness. You should stick to point and shoot if you do not wish to learn what your gear can and cannot do.

Last edited:

Obviously, you have a TC that does NOT report itself to the camera and I used to have one of those too!

Simple test: is the largest aperture of your lens the same WITH and WITHOUT the TC? If they are the same, it means your TC does not report to the camera, thus allowing you to AF at all times.

My goodness. You should stick to point and shoot if you do not wish to learn what your gear can and cannot do.

I think you are missing the point. Even if the TC does not communicate electronically to the camera body, using a 1.4x convertor on a F5.6 lens still makes it physically approximately F8. My 5Dmk 2 and old 450D could AF on my old 100-400 IS which was F5.6 at 400mm fine with a kenko 1.4x convertor.

hence, the fact is even the non-pro cameras can AF at F8, as long as the camera doesn't know it is at F8 hahaha...

Last edited:
ef70-300lisu_3q_675x450-300x200.jpg

When is this baby coming..... ;p

I think you are missing the point.

ok lah. stop bickering. I can verify that using Kenko 1.4x TC, some lenses report back to camera, some do not. For example, my 70-200 reports back while my Voigtlander 125 and Contax N50 do not. I think it is just the Kenko chip is not updated to support all lenses but can still be used, while other TC may report err and cannot be used. Unless there is huge optical difference, I will use Kenko TC anytime.

There are some who use strictly what the manual says and others who explore other ways to push the boundary beyond manufacturer's specs. No right and wrong. So whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:

I don't know if Rebel body could do AF in f/8 with TC ?

I thought it's max f/5.6, unless it is pro body series which could handle f/8

Here's the link

Keep in mind that many non-pro Canon camera bodies need a minimum wide open aperture setting of f/5.6 for autofocus to work. Canon 1-Series camera bodies generally require f/8 for autofocus to work.