The New E-300

Status
Not open for further replies.
my guess is, the left 2 pics r taken with a E300.

BTW, i dun think s'pore price of E300 will be that low. looking at the trend in s'pore, things like these r always more expensive than most countries. dunno why but look at the E1, europe selling for 1100euros but here, Oly is selling it for $2999. u do the math with exchange rate 2.2. :)

another eg. wud be the 20D. still selling for $2890 but neighbour already selling $2690 from other threads.

i think the shops here r making very good money. :cheers:

u getting E300 soon?

(edited: forgot to add that dpreview has a hands-on preview of the E300)

Thanks for the lead. The review article can be found here
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse300/

I think I most likely end up getting the E-300 due to its price performance.
The other important factor is the size too. This camera should last me 3-4 years (as digital cameras are not so durable as compared to the traditional ones) so don't think I would like to invest so much. Some of my foreign friends were able to take fantastic pictures using simple cameras so I guess I should also be investing my time as well. :)

just a silly question by a newbie to dslr,
can the LCD be used as the viewfinder also? just like the other digital cameras?

mpenza said:
technically yes (eg Olympus E10/20) but at the expense of a darker viewfinder.

really? great! coz i'm considering E300 for underwater photography. and using the LCD as the view finder is a major advantage

Also learnt that in the E300, the LCD is rotatable but this feature is not possible in current conventional design of DSLR.

As for pricing, shall feedback on Japan prices in about 2 weeks' time. I guess it can be really attractive as compared to prices in Singapore. Understand that wef 2004, Oly warranty is worldwide.

There are some informal reviews on Japanese user site. Will see if I can find time to translate some of the comments.

uginz said:
really? great! coz i'm considering E300 for underwater photography. and using the LCD as the view finder is a major advantage

E300 doesn't use the as LCD viewfinder. only the more consumer type of cameras do. if u r into underwater photgraphy, i believe the C8080 is a great cam to invest.

serene said:
This camera should last me 3-4 years (as digital cameras are not so durable as compared to the traditional ones) so don't think I would like to invest so much.

sorry, not to splash cold water but i dun think it will last 3-4yrs. its 'cheap' consumer grade, remember. if u really want a durable set, the E1 is the one to buy, now with an attractive price too. but hang on, the next pro model is coming out next year. :)

btw, do update us on the pricing. thx in advance. :cheers:

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think I am up to the standard to use E-1 or its descendents. Also, I happen to see the E-1 at an exhibition but think it is so bulky and heavy. I prefer something small and unintrusive as I take a lot of pictures here and there. My personal preference only.

OK, shall update. I think I can get it at 87,800 yen but can I get something even cheaper. This is getting very interesting. ;) The other problem I have is how to get it back to Singapore in early Dec. Don't want to spend a bomb on DHL.

for something small, u may also look at the new Pentax *istDs. very small & light. so far the smallest & lightest of all DSLRs. if u dun already own any glass of any brand yet, i think u can put pentax in your christmas wish list. :)

nightpiper said:
for something small, u may also look at the new Pentax *istDs. very small & light. so far the smallest & lightest of all DSLRs. if u dun already own any glass of any brand yet, i think u can put pentax in your christmas wish list. :)

I don't know the camera too well, unlike Oly at least I have some knowledge. Appreciate your suggestion, guess I can see if I can get this as a gift...
Will let all know more about Oly prices in Japan once my colleague is back.

serene said:
The other problem I have is how to get it back to Singapore in early Dec. Don't want to spend a bomb on DHL.

Japanese EMS (post office express mail) is very very cheap and very very fast (cheaper than Singpost).

Trust me. Just EMS the goddamn camera. ;) You'll receive it in two days if it is posted on a weekday.

kahheng said:
Japanese EMS (post office express mail) is very very cheap and very very fast (cheaper than Singpost).

Trust me. Just EMS the goddamn camera. ;) You'll receive it in two days if it is posted on a weekday.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't feel safe letting them send such fragile item by mail, in case they break it :bheart:

kahheng said:
DPReview and Imaging-Resource both currently have largely useless previews of the E-300. Only thing worth noting is the spec sheet.

I have seen some comments/feedback by users who tried the E-300. In general, they feel that the built is not worse than the Digital Rebel and some commented that the camera has a professional feel despite its low prices. Also learnt that some Sigma lenses are supported - does anyone know anything about it? Thanks

The E-300 will be up for pre-order at Sitex 2004 for $1699. AP and CP should be cheaper ... :)

wah... so cheap...

Status
Not open for further replies.