The Logic of L-itis

Status
Not open for further replies.
sequitur said:
you gotta adjust that statement a bit before people bash you... these lenses have to be stopped down to be at least as good as the 17-40 wide open. not all of them, but some of them. you can't get wide open quality as that of the 17-40 with these. but some of them @ f4 will give the 17-40 a run for its money definitely.

perhaps i should have clarified that i am not comparing the primes wide open with the 17-40 wide open.

However, I stand by my opinion that the lenses I have listed (with the exception of the 24/2.8 & 35/2 - which are almost on par) outperform the 17-40 - particularly the 85/1.8 and 100/2

goering said:
perhaps i should have clarified that i am not comparing the primes wide open with the 17-40 wide open.

However, I stand by my opinion that the lenses I have listed (with the exception of the 24/2.8 & 35/2 - which are almost on par) outperform the 17-40 - particularly the 85/1.8 and 100/2

they do yeah

but what about lenses within the 17-40 focal range ? hehheh

sequitur said:
they do yeah

but what about lenses within the 17-40 focal range ? hehheh

for wide angle non L primes, I would have to agree that they aren't quite as good. Some are good eg 24/2.8 and 35/2 but others like the 28/1.8 and 20/2.8 didn't have very good reviews

Moreover, Canon is not interested in making primes anymore and spending all their R&D on zooms.

goering said:
for wide angle non L primes, I would have to agree that they aren't quite as good. Some are good eg 24/2.8 and 35/2 but others like the 28/1.8 and 20/2.8 didn't have very good reviews

Moreover, Canon is not interested in making primes anymore and spending all their R&D on zooms.

is it ?! canon not interested in primes ?

woo damn and i'm starting to go for primes.. haha.

majere2sg said:
I got it for 1.6k.. stock problems ? Everytime, for the past few months, when I pass by Cathay photos, I saw this lens in the glass cabinet.. heee :D

Hmm I guess you were lucky. At one time when I was looking for it, it was out of stock everywhere for quite a while.

Believed it was due to very high demand from overseas buyers in the spring season

sequitur said:
is it ?! canon not interested in primes ?

woo damn and i'm starting to go for primes.. haha.

The last primes canon made were 5 years ago in 1999. They were the long telephoto series the 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4 and the 600/4. I'll discount the 400/4 DO released in 2001 which was more of a showcase of its DO technology

They released a lot of primes in the decade from 1990-1999. I love primes myself. But sadly, the trend seems to be towards zooms. Their recent new lenses - the EF28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM and EF70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM are IMO very slow, very expensive and optically mediocre at best

At least Nikon isn't abandoning prime lovers for commercial reasons and has recently announced a new AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm F/2G IF-ED Lens

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/m...tory/05-28-2004/0002183563&EDATE=May+28,+2004

Even their new zoom AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED Lens is pretty fast
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/m...tory/07-22-2003/0001986504&EDATE=Jul+22,+2003

actually canon is not really giving up primes. they're researching into DO technology now. previously there was a slip by canon germany on upcoming DO lenses - 500mm DO and a 200-400 DO. but of course, nah no point on these.

but seriously, part of the reason why canon don't have to produce any more of the primes is simply because the current primes are already pretty good (right ? no ? ) and to throw in a huge amount of R&D to improve their optical quality marginally would not really make sense. throwing all the money on the DO stuff might actually work. 75-300 DO is a joke - slow and a waste of $$$ for bad optical quality compared to anything equal its price. and zooms are more prone to optical problems, that's for sure.

Garion... good one over here. It's actually not a bad deal considering it's new and comes with official Canon warranty. I don't mind picking it up in the US for you to save cost of shipping and GST ;)

Tempted?

Would love to see an 18mm prime from Canon though. I think Canon is lacking that. See how well the lens does. Other than that, Canon is pretty well covered prime wise.

sequitur said:
actually canon is not really giving up primes. they're researching into DO technology now. previously there was a slip by canon germany on upcoming DO lenses - 500mm DO and a 200-400 DO. but of course, nah no point on these.

but seriously, part of the reason why canon don't have to produce any more of the primes is simply because the current primes are already pretty good (right ? no ? ) and to throw in a huge amount of R&D to improve their optical quality marginally would not really make sense. throwing all the money on the DO stuff might actually work. 75-300 DO is a joke - slow and a waste of $$$ for bad optical quality compared to anything equal its price. and zooms are more prone to optical problems, that's for sure.

I dont really like DO - at least not in its current implementation. Firstly, it costs an arm and a leg to purchase any DO lens. It will be a long time before costs come down to something more reasonable. secondly, DO seems to have light gathering issues from what I read - so making fast DO lenses may not be feasible. thirdly, DO is only needed for the long telephoto primes since primes 200mm and below are already reasonably compact

There are still many areas where Canon can improve on their primes - at least in functionality. For eg IS and USM versions of its existing primes. How about wider primes as Kit mentioned? There is a yawning gap between the ultra expensive 14mm and the 20mm. Or faster non L primes like 24/2.0? And wider L primes like 16/1.4 or 16/2.0?

At the wide end especially, I find a rather weak link in Canon's primes lineup. The 16-35/2.8L effectively replaces the 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 28/2.8 and is a lot wider and much more versatile.

My feeling that canon isn't so keen on primes is also partly based on the fact that they have discontinued several primes - including the highly revered 200/1.8 and the 85/1.2 (can't find in S'pore although can get overseas) as well as the 50/1.0 (which I don't really miss)

For what its worth, I saw the new 70-300mm DO zoom lens on Alan Photo's shelves today.

goering said:
I dont really like DO - at least not in its current implementation. Firstly, it costs an arm and a leg to purchase any DO lens. It will be a long time before costs come down to something more reasonable. secondly, DO seems to have light gathering issues from what I read - so making fast DO lenses may not be feasible. thirdly, DO is only needed for the long telephoto primes since primes 200mm and below are already reasonably compact

There are still many areas where Canon can improve on their primes - at least in functionality. For eg IS and USM versions of its existing primes. How about wider primes as Kit mentioned? There is a yawning gap between the ultra expensive 14mm and the 20mm. Or faster non L primes like 24/2.0? And wider L primes like 16/1.4 or 16/2.0?

At the wide end especially, I find a rather weak link in Canon's primes lineup. The 16-35/2.8L effectively replaces the 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 28/2.8 and is a lot wider and much more versatile.

My feeling that canon isn't so keen on primes is also partly based on the fact that they have discontinued several primes - including the highly revered 200/1.8 and the 85/1.2 (can't find in S'pore although can get overseas) as well as the 50/1.0 (which I don't really miss)

yes, i echo your thoughts that canon needs to produce more primes in the wide range. but the non-L ones please.. haha.

hmm
85/1.2... apparently the 85/1.8 packs a much bigger bang for the buck then this lens... not very sure.

50/1.0.. it's really way too expensive compared to the 1.8 counterpart that almost nearly serves an equal purpose.

How does the Tamron 28-75/2.8 compare to the L lens? Is image quality about the same or worse?

d4vid

try www.dpreview.com and search a little
www.fredmiranda.com

and random yahoo searches for reviews..

the point about 3rd party lenses is that quality control is not as good as original lenses.. therefore chances are you might end up with a bad copy, or you might get a very very good copy that nobody can ever get.. interesting eh ?

i just got one thing to say.....

EVERYONE HERE INCLUDING MYSELF IS CURRENTLY SUFFERING FROM L-ITIS WITH ALL THESE TALK AND THE CRAPPY TEMPTATION HARLEQUIN PUT FORWARD TO GARION TO BUY THAT CANON EF 600/4L IS USM LENS FOR ABOUT SG$12,000 OR MORE.

I refuse to buy another L only if I know that I about going to use it 10% or more of the time. The latest lens that I have is not a L either because I know that I am not going to use it most of the time, but just to use it to do simple landscape shots.

agape01 said:
i just got one thing to say.....

EVERYONE HERE INCLUDING MYSELF IS CURRENTLY SUFFERING FROM L-ITIS WITH ALL THESE TALK AND THE CRAPPY TEMPTATION HARLEQUIN PUT FORWARD TO GARION TO BUY THAT CANON EF 600/4L IS USM LENS FOR ABOUT SG$12,000 OR MORE.

I refuse to buy another L only if I know that I about going to use it 10% or more of the time. The latest lens that I have is not a L either because I know that I am not going to use it most of the time, but just to use it to do simple landscape shots.

:bigeyes: :think: :sweat: :eek: ;p

relak lah

agape01, you could always treat it as a hobby. A collector's hobby. You could even custom make a shelf to showcase them. I am sure no one will complain except maybe your wife/GF/parents/your pocket.

Way cool. :D :devil:

Terence said:
Garion... good one over here. It's actually not a bad deal considering it's new and comes with official Canon warranty. I don't mind picking it up in the US for you to save cost of shipping and GST ;)

Tempted?

The guy doesn't ship to Singapore anyway. He's actually the ebay store front for Adorama and is reliable.

agape01, relax la.

to whoever's buying - just remember to use that new lens you're acquiring, or else you'd be better off to donate $ to me to buy a spanking new mountain bike :D

Status
Not open for further replies.