the evening sky

MarcusSie

Aug 4, 2010
Mt Faber by Marcus "kunpe" Sie, on Flickr

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The composition and exposure or everything.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
silhouettes of the building and the skyscape

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
happen to be there taking photos.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i like it, hope to hear from others.

I would say this is a decent snapshot, although far from spectacular.

In terms of exposure, the tricky thing about shooting sunsets is choosing 1 of 2 usual options:
1. exposing for the sky and leaving the foreground as a silhouette (which you did)
2. exposing for the sky and the foreground and then doing an exposure blend.

In this case, the shapes of the buildings in the foreground are well defined and so you can recognise them as buildings- so it is okay here.

It's a shame about the clouds though.

Besides what candy said, I also like to add that there is too much redundant space in this photograph.

Try cropping the bottom so there isn't so much blacks. Leave a thin amount of it so it looks a little like the American sitcom "Fraser". :)

There's too much sky, crop the top off more.

The horizon is tilted to the left, which makes me believe you are right handed? Tilting it back slightly right helps. :)

You might want to try again with the above suggestions plus....
try shooting when the sun is closer to the building silhouette... go for ev-1 or -2 or add a nd filter so that the sun highlights are not totally blown.

this would be better presented as a panoramic. the space on the bottom, and some at the top can be lost.

were you able to move to your right somehow? find a viewpoint such that the sun aligns with that building just to the right of the crane? if you could, then this would have strengthened the composition somewhat. right now, as it is, the sun and that particular building are competing for attention.

personally i think this is quite an excellent shot.

knowingly or unknowingly, you managed to frame a third within a third which makes this photo quite aesthetically pleasing

the silouhette is the bottom third of the whole frame, the orange part is 1/3 within the remaining 2/3 of the sky(of the whole frame) and the sun is also positioned 1/3

overall the dead space works very well

the clouds to me are a slight distraction (nothing much u can do abt thatreally) but as a consolation it did provide some nice lightrays for the whole picture

what i would like to see as an improvement is that you shoot at a much higher F stop to get the sun burts and that would make it even more outstanding and maybe you could ease off the vignetting a little so can see the bottom left part of the building silhouette

The colours are nice in the photos and the distinct shape of the building's silhouette works well. I like the rays of sunlight penetrating through the clouds, however its a pity that the cloud formation that day wasn't not too pleasing. The dark patch of clouds steals the attention away from the sun. Notice the lens flare on the left side of the clouds, you could consider removing it using the spot healing tool in photoshop. :)

Thank you all for commenting this picture.. now i totally see what other prespective i can take a shot next time..
noted all pointers and a big thank you =)

Marcus