The best thing you can do to your car is to sound proof it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about now we use radio transmission instead of horn.

then you can hear taxi drivers cursing over the radio :bsmilie:

how about now we use radio transmission instead of horn.

then you can hear taxi drivers cursing over the radio :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: Something like Skype hor...

Why mute the sound of sweet exhaust music??

i think ultimatley the cost of the trail experiment to sound proof your car might cost more than getting a better car?

I have sound proofed my previous car to reduce the road noise & to damp the vibration to the door caused by my speakers.

You can try using Dynamat or Accumat materials for the doors n floorboard. It comes with different thickness. Typically I used about 5pcs for the front doors and about 4 pcs for the rear doors . This is for single layer.

If you wan to work on the floorboard and wheel arc, you will need to remove all your seats n the lining to work on the floor. I used about 8 pcs.

Also if you wan to reduce road noise, dont go for the low profile performance tyres. Just the quiet type like Bridgestone GR80.

Total cost for sound proofing easily more than $1k.

I think the thread starter mean sound dampen the sheetmetal using Dynamat and the like...

The point of that is to reduce resonating noise from panels, stopping low frequency humming etc.

A well damped automobile can give you 2-3x more headroom equivalent of tripling your amplifier power in audio systems.

You'll still hear ambient sounds, horns, etc...

To put it simply, imagine your daily Civic sounding like a high end Lexus/Benz cabin.

I think the thread starter mean sound dampen the sheetmetal using Dynamat and the like...

The point of that is to reduce resonating noise from panels, stopping low frequency humming etc.

A well damped automobile can give you 2-3x more headroom equivalent of tripling your amplifier power in audio systems.

You'll still hear ambient sounds, horns, etc...

To put it simply, imagine your daily Civic sounding like a high end Lexus/Benz cabin.

Don't you mean, "Dynamite" :bsmilie:

I have sound proofed my previous car to reduce the road noise & to damp the vibration to the door caused by my speakers.

You can try using Dynamat or Accumat materials for the doors n floorboard. It comes with different thickness. Typically I used about 5pcs for the front doors and about 4 pcs for the rear doors . This is for single layer.

If you wan to work on the floorboard and wheel arc, you will need to remove all your seats n the lining to work on the floor. I used about 8 pcs.

Also if you wan to reduce road noise, dont go for the low profile performance tyres. Just the quiet type like Bridgestone GR80.

Total cost for sound proofing easily more than $1k.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
May I know, is the result worth the money and effort? Is there drastic improvment?

Thanks again.

This is excatly what I am trying to acheive at the lowest possible cost.:)

I drove a '05 Civic before and the road noise is terrible and when you go over the hump, you will experience the boom boom effect.

To do a good sound proofing job, it involve laying around 3 or more layers of butamen to the inside of the doors, also the floor plane and the firewall. People also lay those black aircon insulation sheets, especially to areas here high temperature is expected as butamen may melt and cause a big mess. And there is no such thing as total sound proofing as sound stil travels through the window and wind screen glass. Overall, for a good sound insulation job, over a hundred or maybe 2 hundred kilograms can easily be added to the car. That will leave me wonder how much power is left if a tiny car such as the cherry QQ does the soundproofing enough to make it feels like a luxury car.

If interested, can search soundproofing in "http://www.mycarforum.com" and you can get tonnes of information about the subject. Last time even saw someone posted a step by step photo guild on his DIY sound proofing project. Not an easy job as it involve removing of all the seats and dashboard to reach the floorplane and the firewall of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.