The Armchair

Status
Not open for further replies.

maja06

Jan 29, 2009
Punggol!
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Took this a while ago -- not sure if the armchair's in the same place anymore. ;)

Shot this on BW400CN, scanned at 1600dpi. PP: Upped contrast in software, removed green cast from negative.

3410974283_1480605664_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition. My shots tend to be very "flat" or tableau-esque.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I wanted to convey a sense of drama in an abandoned house. Not so much desolation, but how bleak it is.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I was hiding from the construction site foreman. (Really) So it was a shoot and run.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

It's too flat?????

Thanks much in advance.

I'm not sure what "flat" means. For me, the dark and light values are too well balanced. Perhaps leave more parts in shadows to the imagination of the viewer.

well, its not exactly flat as his have shadow contrast and the subject is in direct contrast with his background, so doesn't have the flat feeling... lucky thou, else most of such shots if the chair contrast blends with the background, thats it...

but overall, hard to perceive a strong feel to it, perhaps vignet or burn the edges to bring contrast to the subject will help in achieving your goal.

suggest to lower the gamma and increase contrast to focus more attention on the armchair and to achieve a darker and bleaker mood. slight sepia toning can be added for the "old" feel.
e.g.
114354644.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments... the contrast / vignetting issue has been particularly enlightening.

And zaren.... :bigeyes: Guess I really need to think about the finer points of PP! Thanks much.

1. Composition

I would say, composition style is common & typical but safe.

2. Sense of drama

I can't feel the drama, but it does have a very lonely desolate feel. kinda dark

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

not sure what you meant by flat, but overall, it's a above average shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.