The 16MB outing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Dawn said:
Hi wormz

instead of shooting 16 mb worth of pictures, possible to shoot just one roll of a 36 exp film? :p
Why 36? There are 12-exposure 35mm films available. :devil:

Heck, if you shoot in 120 in 6x6, you get 12. Or 10 if you shoot 6x7.

Regards
CK

icarus said:
Do not have any 16Mb cards now. Perhaps I can shoot 16 photos instead? :D
I am flexible with the rules, just let me know :)

List
1) wormz777
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

Sorry Wormz, i have other plans now. Had to pull out. Hope to shoot with u sometime! ;)

Don't make sense to limit to 16MB. Why not just make it 36 picture frames format like a roll of 135? Or better still, just get a damn roll itself...

Wisp said:
Don't make sense to limit to 16MB. Why not just make it 36 picture frames format like a roll of 135? Or better still, just get a damn roll itself...
The point is to give digital users a chance to control their rate of fire. Since most digital users can't seem to compose properly before clicking.

AReality said:
The point is to give digital users a chance to control their rate of fire. Since most digital users can't seem to compose properly before clicking.

Yeah... That's the one of the aims of the outing.

Anyway, I feel that this thread is too cluttered though there are many useful suggestions too. Thanks all for your contributions.

Let me rethink the concept a bit. For now this outing is cancelled. Hopefully I can finalise the plans by next weekend.

Happy new year!!!

this outing sounds really interesting! I saw someone bursting his camera at 8fps during a martial art performance while I had to compose my shots and wait for the perfect moment to capture that scene on film.

Just restrict to 12 pic will be good with no deletion or review.

If film camera can join.. let me know.. :)

binbeto said:
Just restrict to 12 pic will be good with no deletion or review.

If film camera can join.. let me know.. :)
If film can join in, I might be interested :) But each roll has 36, makes more sense to cap it at 36?

I'm just using the most common film format as a template. While it's important to mantain a cap, do remember that it takes a while for the shooters to warm up. For even the professional photographers, only 2-3 frames out of 36 will they consider it worthy of their standard. That's the industry standard. If you're talking about items like national geographic and the fashion industry, the rate is even more stringent. In one case, only 3 frames of a supermodel photographs from 20 rolls were chosen to be published in one magazine. I forgot the name of the photographer and the model though..got to check it out.

ckiang said:
I concur. One can easily verify if the images were deleted by looking at the filenames. The 12/16/whatever numbers should be sequential, (e.g. DSC_9104, DSC_9105, 9106, 9107 etc) any skip would mean deletion.

Limiting the card size is not so feasible - a 2mp camera user will be able to shoot a lot more to choose from, and the lucky guy with the 1Ds mkII shooting in RAW probably couldn't even manage 2.

Regards
CK

u can reset the counter right? :sticktong

I really do not think this idea is all that revelent. Photography, especially street or candid photography is all about catching a moment. Technological advances enable us to do that. If we are shooting in a studio, where the photographer has full control of the enviroment, then this exercise makes sense. Eventhough I disagree with the OT's philosophy, I think it can still be fun to do.

On another note, digital users who shoot alot does not necessarily means we cannot frame. Those who cannot frame will not be able to frame whether they use a digital or film camera.

Deadpoet said:
I really do not think this idea is all that revelent. Photography, especially street or candid photography is all about catching a moment. Technological advances enable us to do that. If we are shooting in a studio, where the photographer has full control of the enviroment, then this exercise makes sense. Eventhough I disagree with the OT's philosophy, I think it can still be fun to do.

On another note, digital users who shoot alot does not necessarily means we cannot frame. Those who cannot frame will not be able to frame whether they use a digital or film camera.

If you think its not useful/relevent, then, please, do not join. As simple as that.

I have also never stated that digital camera users cannot frame properly. Its just my personal view and observation that digital users, esp newbies, do not practise correct photo taking techinques, hence my initiative to organise one such outing.

And since its my outing, please stop trying to justify whether if the outing is relevent/worth going/etc for others. You want to join, please express your interest. If you think nothing of this outing, please stop read here and surf other threads. There is nothing to debate/discuss about cos this is MY outing.

:)

I apologise for the delay for this outing as I am too busy during the weekends recently. theITguy is organising something similar... those interested might want to do a search on that outing in the outing sub-forum.

Meanwhile, keep shooting! But think before you press that shutter ;)

wormz777 said:
If you think its not useful/relevent, then, please, do not join. As simple as that.

I have also never stated that digital camera users cannot frame properly. Its just my personal view and observation that digital users, esp newbies, do not practise correct photo taking techinques, hence my initiative to organise one such outing.

And since its my outing, please stop trying to justify whether if the outing is relevent/worth going/etc for others. You want to join, please express your interest. If you think nothing of this outing, please stop read here and surf other threads. There is nothing to debate/discuss about cos this is MY outing.

:)

I apologise for the delay for this outing as I am too busy during the weekends recently. theITguy is organising something similar... those interested might want to do a search on that outing in the outing sub-forum.

Cool down :flush: Your scanner good or not? Can scan the 24x36mm frame without any cropping?

wormz777 said:

I have also never stated that digital camera users cannot frame properly. Its just my personal view and observation that digital users, esp newbies, do not practise correct photo taking techinques, hence my initiative to organise one such outing. [...]

ooh. I'll say newbies and leave out the phrase "digital users". I can show you tons of newbies photographs taken by film camera newbies that are no better than digital newbies. What matters is the attitude of the photographer, and I'm happy that you are doing something different and challenging.

Actually this is a rather tough challenge, tougher than shooting with a 16-exposure colour negatives in fact. At 16Mb and outputing at an instant print machine, you'll be shooting jpegs. And I find jpegs have less latitude to tweak exposure than colour negatives.

Depending on the type of colour negatives used, film shooters may have over/underexposed their film by 1 to 1.5 stops and never know it because the processing lab "corrected" the exposure during printing without telling them.

Less than perfect exposure are obvious to the digital shooter who gets to see the results on camera without any post processing. The instant print machine may try to "auto-adjust" the prints but the results are usually less forgiving than a similarly adjusted colour negative print. I believe this partly contributes to an increased interest in books like "Understanding exposures".

Enjoy your shoot. But think before you post that message. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.